BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we are starting a new build, and are interested in what everyone has to say about parts. We are not on a budget, and we are looking to produce something spectacular. We're going to wait for a few people to jump in and let us know what they've purchased, and where they did their work. We really want to hear about headers, and exhausts. Body kits and trim would also be amongst some of the things we really want to know about. Now here's what we have so far:

Year: 2008
Model: BMW E64
Mileage: ~21,000
Ex. Color: Candy Apple Pearl
In. Color: White (entire dash and seating surfaces)

Upgrades already decided on:

Motor:
????

Electronics:
Valentine One w/ Remote sensors
Quad Laser Interceptor

Now we really want all input, so throw it out there, and we'll see what comes of it!

Note:
Pictures will be up soon, I'm currently 370 miles from my car and won't be home for a few weeks, going to send someone over to grab some shots for me unless I can find the time to drive down.

·
Registered
704 Posts
You can see the mods in my signature. My headers and cam make this thing a beast! As money is no object for you and seeing the other thread, a G-power tt setup is probably a good way to go for power if you don't want a stroker. Everyone loves Tubi exhaust but I dig mine, which is louder than a banshee. Lowered (obviously)with some coilovers and some serious wheels. I wouldn't go over 20" but that is just me. More rubber = higher speed. Drop some weight with CF and there ya go.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
A white dash will have a lot of reflection onto the windshield. I have (champagne) contrast stitching on my black leather dash and even that shows up (but I have gotten used to it and it's at the edges). So you might want to toss a white pillow case for example on the dash in front of the driving position and put the car in bright sunlight to see if its distracting/blinding before committing to a white dash.

Since cost is not an object, you might want to consider more than one leather color. I'd pick something that complements or contrasts the exterior as it will be seen a lot on your cabrio. You could consider alcantara (a man-made suede) in lieu of leather for some of the interior. And contrast stitching of course!

Have you seen the BMW Individual black and mugello red interior on the M5 of member "KSA ///M5"? http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...48123-pictures-my-2010-individual-e60-m5.html

Good luck and be sure to post plenty of photos as your project comes along.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Drop some weight with CF and there ya go.
Except that a lot of CF trim pieces (I know I have a few) are just CF wrapped over the regular plastic parts. So they weigh slightly more than stock.

But commissioning replacement parts in carbon fiber would potentially save some weight. Not sure what would yield the biggest improvement though...

Racing seats can drop over 100 lbs (per ???) off the car as I recall from posts made on the Board.

Titanium exhaust would save weight for sure.

And BBS has announced their lightweight (16.3 lbs) but expensive 19 inch "FI" wheels: BBS FI - Perfect precision
That is over 10 lbs per wheel better than stock.

·
Registered
279 Posts
So we are starting a new build, and are interested in what everyone has to say about parts. We are not on a budget, and we are looking to produce something spectacular.
Since budget isn't a high priority, a spectacular Motor setup (well, in my humble opinion) would be to go with a Dinan Stroker kit and a G-Power twin supercharged forced induction system. Certainly not cheap nor fuel efficient, but that would throw some monster torque down. Maybe then change the gearing in the transmission and you could have a savage monster on blurring the line between exhilarating and terrifying.

G-Power also has a ceramic brake setup ... or you could go for one of those monster 12-Pot kits if you are more interested in the look... I think Rotora makes the 12 piston setups, but you would have to check the clearances based on whatever rim and offset you intend to use.

Body Kits are more a matter of personal visual preference... it is tough to recommend any because everyone has different tastes and visions on how they prefer to view the M6.

No matter what your decisions, the outcomes of this thread will be interesting! :)

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
My dealership salesman told me he knows a guy (in Hawaii which does not help you) that can dye leather in place. Sort of like air brushing, he uses a mouth blown straw/pipe, or some such.

Maybe you could have the dash dyed if its really that bad. Or removed and dyed, or replaced with a factory black one. I seem to recall that pulling the leather dash involves taking a lot of the interior apart, so that option is a big job.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...would be to go with a Dinan Stroker kit and a G-Power twin supercharged forced induction system. Certainly not cheap nor fuel efficient, but that would throw some monster torque down...

Gian: spoke with dinan directly (only live 30 mins from their shop) and they have no idea how their motor will react with the g-power stage 1, let alone 2 or 3 kits. The g-power stage 3 does come with a built motor, and for the price $~$100k, that upgrade seems to be the best motor combo.

Braking will certainly be a ceramic upgrade, it's a question of which kit to go with.

One question I've pondered over is what type of CF parts to buy, I'm already set on hood, trunk lid, diffuser and lip, but I'm not sure I'll actually lose that much weight. Either way, it's worth it for the looks, it's a matter of matching the paint color and having the whole car repainted.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Except that a lot of CF trim pieces (I know I have a few) are just CF wrapped over the regular plastic parts. So they weigh slightly more than stock.

But commissioning replacement parts in carbon fiber would potentially save some weight. Not sure what would yield the biggest improvement though...

Racing seats can drop over 100 lbs (per ???) off the car as I recall from posts made on the Board.

Titanium exhaust would save weight for sure.

And BBS has announced their lightweight (16.3 lbs) but expensive 19 inch "FI" wheels: BBS FI - Perfect precision
That is over 10 lbs per wheel better than stock.

We also just had a 4:1 vote that these wheels are our top choice so far: HRE Performance Wheels – CARBON Series

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My dealership salesman told me he knows a guy (in Hawaii which does not help you) that can dye leather in place. Sort of like air brushing, he uses a mouth blown straw/pipe, or some such.

Maybe you could have the dash dyed if its really that bad. Or removed and dyed, or replaced with a factory black one. I seem to recall that pulling the leather dash involves taking a lot of the interior apart, so that option is a big job.
I'm not too far from Hawaii, so if the work is worth it, then I'm sure I'd ship it down..I'm wondering if there's a way to reduce the glare without compromising the color. I must admit that white would NOT have been my first choice for a red car, but it's the way the car was given to us, and my gf would prefer I left the paint and interior alone (for the most part).

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I've never been much of a fan of wheels with essentially black rims (makes the rim and tire blend together), but that's just a personal thing. Technologically, I like the wheels a lot. How much do they weigh? Nice that you can get 20" if you want.

I don't think you want to ship a car to Hawaii just to have the leather dyed. I was just trying to say, that dying in place might be done. If you really want the Hawaii guy to do it, you could "ship him" (air fare) cheaper than shipping the car round trip by ocean. I have not seen the guys work, so I really can't vouch for him.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've never been much of a fan of wheels with essentially black rims (makes the rim and tire blend together), but that's just a personal thing. Technologically, I like the wheels a lot. How much do they weigh? Nice that you can get 20" if you want.

I don't think you want to ship a car to Hawaii just to have the leather dyed. I was just trying to say, that dying in place might be done. If you really want the Hawaii guy to do it, you could "ship him" (air fare) cheaper than shipping the car round trip by ocean. I have not seen the guys work, so I really can't vouch for him.
Mark, it was really just an excuse for me to goto Hawaii, I'm a New Yorker (originally) and I've never been there, plus driving up and down the coast must be amazing! I did not look into the exact weight, and I would more than likely ask HRE to color match them for me, I'm not a fan of black wheels either, I don't see the point. I was thinking having them powder coated white would make the car really stand out.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
You never need an excuse to come to Hawaii. I like some metal (not all painted/coated) on wheels, but again that's a personal thing. I guess growing up I saw cheap cars with painted rims while performance cars had "mag wheels" even though most were aluminum and not magnesium. So for me, an all one color painted wheel looks cheap and low performance. Could just be a generational thing on my part.

But some "metal" and some color can work out very well. Just pick your color and where it goes carefully. Black and brushed/satin finish is always a classy combination. But I don't like black on the outer most part of the rim (visually melts into the tire).

If you can, do some mock ups and see what you like before taking the plunge.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
so...any pictures of the car so far?

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Dinan stroker + ESS or G-Power supercharger + NOS :D :dunno::checkeredflag:kinggf

So we are starting a new build, and are interested in what everyone has to say about parts. We are not on a budget, and we are looking to produce something spectacular. We're going to wait for a few people to jump in and let us know what they've purchased, and where they did their work. We really want to hear about headers, and exhausts. Body kits and trim would also be amongst some of the things we really want to know about. Now here's what we have so far:

Year: 2008
Model: BMW E64
Mileage: ~21,000
Ex. Color: Candy Apple Pearl
In. Color: White (entire dash and seating surfaces)

Upgrades already decided on:

Motor:
????

Electronics:
Valentine One w/ Remote sensors
Quad Laser Interceptor

Now we really want all input, so throw it out there, and we'll see what comes of it!

Note:
Pictures will be up soon, I'm currently 370 miles from my car and won't be home for a few weeks, going to send someone over to grab some shots for me unless I can find the time to drive down.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts