BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I ahve M3 SMGII with less than 30.000 km's on it.... and the engine had to replaced! It started to rattle around 3000 rpm's.. I took it to local dealer who found metallic peaces in oilfilter....

It has two year warranty on it, and they had to change whole engine with all other equip,s around it, costing + 20000 euros!!! Thank god I had the warranty.

It was some problem with camshaft bearing which caused this problem. I use this car daily, and I am not pushing this car very much.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem? Is there something big wrong with this engine or did I have "monday" engine?

I have ordered new M5, and little suspiciouos about this quality....

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
BMW acknowledged a problem with a limited number of M3 engines, and like in your case they stood behind their product, and replaced motors for free. I'm not certain of the particulars, but I'm sure someone here can add details. I would not worry at all about engine quality-- think about it for a second. Much of BMW's heart and soul, as well as their reputation, is about the engineering and performance of their motors.

Good luck w/ the new M5. Performance sounds like it's going to be awesome. And that new v10 is a thing of beauty.

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts