BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the bleedvalve (coolant system) on the 3.6?

I've flushed the system for winter, replaced some old looking hoses and have refilled with a nice antifreeze mix. I've noticed a schraeder valve on the expansion tank. I assume this is to pressure bleed the system? Where do I bleed from - as there's nowhere obvious?

·
Registered
62 Posts
ste.

I have just gone through this with my car....:M5thumbs:

Top up the Expansion bottle to the level and run the engine with the cap off till the engines warmed up (you should see any air bubbles coming to the top while you do this) also you may need to add more coolant.
when the bubbles seem to have stopped replace the cap and stop the engine,leave the engine to cool down for a while....:3:

there is a bleed point near the heater system solenoids next to the fuse box under the bonnet but it is hard to see because it looks like a hose clip screw itself and it sits between two hose clips.

I pumped the expansion tank up to 7.5 P.S.I ( about half a BAR) and then released the bleed screw near the fuse box untill coolant came out.close the bleed screw job done.....road test car keeping close eye on coolant temp.
NOTE.this system runs at 2.0 BAR (thats the pressure the expansion tank cap blows off at) hot coolant at 2.0 bar will burn you..
Also I fitted a new cap as this is the safety valve of the cooling system it protects you and your Head gasket.
Disclaimer:-this method worked for me based on the advise of others it is free advise. I accept no liabiltyouich

Regards Andy S

1 - 3 of 3 Posts