BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just gone out for the evening and noticed that one of my HIDs wasn't on.

Stopped the car, got out to check and sure enough the angel-eyes are fine, but one of my HID bulbs looks like it has gone (supposed to last much longer than this).

However upon inspecting the light I gave it a little tap to see if it was just a dodgy connection like I used to get with the standard dip beam. Nothing, but as I examine it further I see that all 4 headlight lenses are cracked and I don't mean small cracks either.

I looks like there are cracks around 75% of the lens (i.e. a 5-10cm one at the top, same at the bottom, and again on one of the sides).

Serves me right for buying cheap Chinese tat off ebay - back to the original plan then of having new Hella units with the HIDs in instead. Now where can I get the new HID bulb from - assuming it is only the bulb?

Pics to follow in the morning...

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Sorry to hear it! If it helps, you can buy D2R or D2S bulbs from eBay too, but I don't know what fitment your bulbs are.

You can also buy transparent lenses, I've got links for both if necessary. My Xenon bulbs are still working after 13 months, but they're Phillips with Hella kit, so I wouldn't expect any less.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So where's the best (i.e. cheapest) place to get the Hella headlamps (the whole unit, not just the lenses). EuroCarParts have 'Replacement' ones for £84.50 each, but they are non-adjustable, the Hella ones are £100 but out of stock, and the 'Genuine' ones are bloody expensive (LH £173.59 & RH £217.88) and not in stock anyway!

LH 63121391599
RH 63121391600

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Mmm-Five said:
Just gone out for the evening and noticed that one of my HIDs wasn't on.

Stopped the car, got out to check and sure enough the angel-eyes are fine, but one of my HID bulbs looks like it has gone (supposed to last much longer than this).

However upon inspecting the light I gave it a little tap to see if it was just a dodgy connection like I used to get with the standard dip beam. Nothing, but as I examine it further I see that all 4 headlight lenses are cracked and I don't mean small cracks either.

I looks like there are cracks around 75% of the lens (i.e. a 5-10cm one at the top, same at the bottom, and again on one of the sides).

Serves me right for buying cheap Chinese tat off ebay - back to the original plan then of having new Hella units with the HIDs in instead. Now where can I get the new HID bulb from - assuming it is only the bulb?

Pics to follow in the morning...
Sorry to hear this my friend.
Your description of this equipment is very accurate.
Unfortunately, I think there will be dozens of people having their pants pulled down in broad daylight by this sh*t.

This is just FYI but I got dragged into some thermodynamic testing of our O/E lights against some copies that we had found on the market in the far east.
We thermocoupled the parts & tested them in several ways.
The units looked & fitted perfect but when left on & stationary, the upheat eventually fractured the lens & warped the reflector.
The material had been cheapened & a rat hole for the upheat to escape had been omitted..

It all looked pretty enough but when something is significantly cheaper, you just have to ask the obvious.. how...
I guess you could replace with the std Hella lens & all should be fine.

I had a look at the Umnitza components & had a chat with Greg, I think thats his name. Anyway, I get the feeling that his system is quality & its Gas discharge (Litronic) & the angel eyes parking rings.

I am going to get this system for my car next month & fit it.

I hope you get something sorted..

Regards
Farrell

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Mmm-Five said:
So where's the best (i.e. cheapest) place to get the Hella headlamps (the whole unit, not just the lenses). EuroCarParts have 'Replacement' ones for £84.50 each, but they are non-adjustable, the Hella ones are £100 but out of stock, and the 'Genuine' ones are bloody expensive (LH £173.59 & RH £217.88) and not in stock anyway!

LH 63121391599
RH 63121391600
German Swedish & French are another avenue to try.

Regards
Farrell

1 - 7 of 7 Posts