BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First blackstone just came back... pretty interesting in a bad kind of way. Don't see a dedicated bs thread for the e60 so I made my own.

Thoughts from the community? As they mention in the summary the lead numbers are high. What I haven't been able to find is a break down of the bearings in relation to the metal numbers they should be throwing off. Thought I read somewhere that there is a progressive metal breakdown through the layers. No tracking, no boosters added. Just normal 'spirited' driving with the standard 93 octane gas. I am the 2nd owner though and have no clue how the engine was broken in or if the previous owner tracked it...

Suggestions?
Try to blow up my engine while it's still CPO'd? :deal:
Harass my SA until they crack the engine and do a bearing swap?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looking at other bs reports in other threads and no one is close to 51ppm lead... The anger sharks are swimming...

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I know Woody's was higher than 51ppm. I don't know anyone else's near that.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I am at 60k and will be changing my oil later this week and will send for analysis.

My Pb was 6 at 42,000 and 11 at 34k, 10 at 30k, 15 at 26k, 12 at 20 and 15 at 15,000 (my first sample sent).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going to preventivly let my SA know about this issue and put 5k on it and do another analysis. Going to take me a few months to do that but I am CPO till March 14. If I blow my engine in that time oh well, if not and I get another high pB and Ti level report I will camp out at BMW until they swap these on their dime. Havn't seen any 'preventive bearing swap covered under cpo' thread yet (LOOOOL). Hopefully I am the first.

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
Honestly can a bearing swap be covered under warranty under the assumption of preventative maintenance :confused:

Also like it has been stated in some other bearing threads, you can not solely rely on a BS report. It may give you some insight on something unusual but is not and end to all to go forth with a bearing swap.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would not throw in the towel yet. I just got mine back, and my lead was at 28. Little high, but that was due to fuel additive. When the bearings go, you should also see raised level of Tin and Copper. And, you should see the Copper start to climb as the lead is worn off the bearing face exposing the copper used as a carrier during the plating process.

Your other numbers almost match mine exactly. And you know, Blackstone did not make the same comments about mine as they did with yours.

"miles on this oil since 
universal averages show typical wear for a BMW S85 after ~6,600 miles on the oil. Based on the level of metals, we'd 
say this oil was in use about that long. Lead read high in this first sample, showing some bearing wear. It was the only 
metal out of line, so we aren't ready to call it a problem yet. We'll know more about it as trends develop. No 
contamination was found and insolubles read just a trace, showing good oil filtration. Check back to monitor bearing 
wear."

You oil (as mine did) shows high lubricant properties, Titanium, (Which if you ever got it or Moly in powder form on your fingers, you could not even hold toilet paper the darn stuff is so slick). What is surprising to me, is that Castrol add's Titanium to the oil as wear reduction additives, and Blackstone should know this. I have been running Mobile 1 with Titanium Disulfide in a 328I. Had over 300K on the motor, and we just took it apart. (I got the car with 20K on it) Checked the bearings, and they looked brand new.

Based on this report, I would not freak out at all. Change the oil at 3 or 4K if your worried, and have it checked again. I bet your numbers will be in line by then. Also keep track of anything you have done to the car. (Injectors / Fuel system cleaned and ect) Even those things can affect your numbers.

Is there a issue with the S85 and the little sister V8 bearings. Maybe, but I think all of these motors are different, and used differently. As someone else mentioned, there are a lot of S85 engines out there, and this is only a small sample of that population.

Enjoy the car for all it is worth...... And just keep doing the right things. (Oil at 10K is a no no)

:)

·
Registered
5,827 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I am at 60k and will be changing my oil later this week and will send for analysis.

My Pb was 6 at 42,000 and 11 at 34k, 10 at 30k, 15 at 26k, 12 at 20 and 15 at 15,000 (my first sample sent).
Sample back...Pb =29. But I "think" (can't remember) I may have run a bottle of Amsoil fuel additive....my BMW stealer told me that BMW stopped making their fuel treatment....AMSOIL P.i. Performance Improver Gasoline Additive

My other wear metals are fine....Fe=8 Cu=2 Tin=1 Mo=2 Ni=0 Ti=0

Of course....I ran another bottle of fuel addititve with the oil change prior to getting the sample back...ouich

·
Registered
779 Posts
Dam guys change your oil more often!

I just had my 4th oil change done since march 2013. Bought the car with 29k miles in march now im at 43500 and I have done 4 oil changes.

BMW northwest said my M5 was the cleanest most trouble free M5 they have seen in years. They went threw all the service history on my car and were like holy cow you got a good M5 here

nothing but oil changes and regular maintenance since it was new

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

I just had my 4th oil change done since march 2013. Bought the car with 29k miles in march now im at 43500 and I have done 4 oil changes.

BMW northwest said my M5 was the cleanest most trouble free M5 they have seen in years. They went threw all the service history on my car and were like holy cow you got a good M5 here

tongue in cheek smile :tonquesmilie:... that only confirms plenty of future issues to come...:eek:h:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

I would love to see your oil analysis...

I don't send a sample every oil change...I change my oil every 5 to 7,5k

I follow Mike Miller's Old School with all of the other fluids....

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Your very ignorant or very wealthy if you don't change out your rod bearings checked/changed after having BS report high levels of lead and copper in your oil. Get it done guys don't procrastinate on this, let the otherboard members experiences help guide you away from making their mistakes. Thats why we take the time to post this stuff.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Your very ignorant or very wealthy if you don't change out your rod bearings checked/changed after having BS report high levels of lead and copper in your oil. Get it done guys don't procrastinate on this, let the otherboard members experiences help guide you away from making their mistakes. Thats why we take the time to post this stuff.
What do you consider a 'high' level?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Refer to Woodies/Fifties BlackStone report i think he has a copy of it on his rod bearing thread as well as pictures of his bearings so you can see what those levels look like.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just got some great news from BS. 76k miles, lead 7ppm. Lower than average metal numbers all the way around. 2008 6 speed. I'll get another BS report around 100k miles, til then I'll just let her warmup slow, and continue driving hard.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts