BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this 2003 M5 and I wanted to see if I should have reasons to be concerned about this engine long term??

ImageUploadedByAG Free1408589016.968267.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
High iron without other associated metals like tin/copper for rod brgs or aluminum for cam chain guides is unusual for the S62 engine since they don't tend to wear just steel parts. Like the guy says, you need to see what the next sample shows. You may want to reduce the oil change time to get a heads-up.

And it looks like you told him you were running something like 10W60, but his results show the oil was more like a 5W30.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for tip so wait another 5k miles and do another Blackstone analysis?

·
Registered
933 Posts

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
What oil did you use for this sample? And how many miles since the previous oil change?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I just bought this car used and had it immediately shipped to my INDY so they can do all the maintenance and get the car clean and up to date. I have actually not even had a chance to drive or even see the car yet LOL.

The oil analysis was part of it and also looking for any carbon build up etc.

So far I have spent $4,000 in maintenance items like:

-Spark Plugs
-New Belts
-Fluid Changes
-New Clutch
-Coolant Flush
-New Interior Leather Item Replacements etc..

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
+1

Also clarify if this history is "known" or "presumed" based on prior owners statements.

History is unknown to me which is why I took it straight to shop to get all the updates done to car.

·
Registered
278 Posts
It seems from the analysis comment that an extended oil change interval could be a very simple cause. If I were you, I'd make it my first priority to find out how long that oil was in the car.

I have my bottle of oil right next to my desk and am heading out now to send it. Glad this thread reminded me!

·
Registered
588 Posts
As others have said, run the next one and see what it says. Its really an unreliable sample you took since you dont really know the history of the oil unless you have documentation that shows when (date and mileage) previous oil change was done as well as exact type and viscosity of oil that was used. I waited till the second one I did myself before getting an analysis done so I could know exactly what went in and when.

Your next oil change should be analyzed and that will be a better marker for you. Wouldn't hurt to do an analysis every oil change. I'm planning on doing it. Cost is minimal given I'm getting 10k or more between oil changes (and only changing it once a year roughly due to mileage).

·
Registered
222 Posts
I just bought this car used and had it immediately shipped to my INDY so they can do all the maintenance and get the car clean and up to date. I have actually not even had a chance to drive or even see the car yet LOL.

The oil analysis was part of it and also looking for any carbon build up etc.

So far I have spent $4,000 in maintenance items like:

-Spark Plugs
-New Belts
-Fluid Changes
-New Clutch
-Coolant Flush
-New Interior Leather Item Replacements etc..
Please tell me you didn't spend 4000 on that stuff and that they did more than that.:confused3

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This includes:

new steering wheel airbag part & steering wheel install
cost of new oem BMW clutch & install
oil change and fluid changes
Carbon engine build up quick clean up
Z3M short shifter install & shift knob
LED license plate install
Front Bumper removal and install
KW coilover V3 install
OEM BMW leather Hand Brake remove & install

·
Registered
278 Posts
Piggybacking, here's the oil analysis I just received.

This is for:
- '02 M5 w/ ~98,000 miles, almost all in California (91 octane max)
- TWS 10W60
- ~7,500 miles on oil & filter
- Two HPDE days at Gingerman in MI

Thoughts appreciated :cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Here is mine for comparison. I am about ready to send in another sample.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Piggybacking, here's the oil analysis I just received.

This is for:
- '02 M5 w/ ~98,000 miles, almost all in California (91 octane max)
- TWS 10W60
- ~7,500 miles on oil & filter
- Two HPDE days at Gingerman in MI

Thoughts appreciated :cheers:
Here is mine for comparison. I am about ready to send in another sample.

Guys, there's a separate thread for the oil analysis. This is his thread asking about issues in his own analysis. Post yours at the other link, here: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/67915-please-post-blackstone-labs-oil-reports-tws-10w60-here.html
Also, there's a separate link if you are not using 10w-60 TWS but you'll have to find it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts