BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got my oil analysis and after reviewing Blackstone reports in other threads, I win the dubious distinction of highest lead content, best I can tell. :cheers: It even got headline mention from the lab tech "Lead was a bit elevated. This shows some excess bearing wear. Maybe this is related to hard use." Doh . . . when DON'T I use the car hard. :checkeredflag:

But geez, less than 27K miles on the clock??? I'll run it out another 3K, get another analysis and watch the trend. Sure wish these dam things had oil pressure gauges.

And before any of you class valedictorians advise me that "search is my friend," yeah, I've already done that.

Attachments

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,272 Posts
23ppm is high, but not the highest. My lead came in at 65ppm, so you can have some relief.

I replaced mine 20,000 miles ago. My last BS report came in at 1ppm.

Reactions: caribbean20

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
23ppm is high, but not the highest. My lead came in at 65ppm, so you can have some relief.

I replaced mine 20,000 miles ago. My last BS report came in at 1ppm.
Mile high, thanks for the data point. I trust your 65ppm lead reading was shortly before you replaced your rod bearings at 84k? Any readings before that? Searching through your threads, I noticed one member with a failure at 39k. I just laid out $4 yards for the new clutch, at 26kgrrrrrrr, was hoping for a FEW more miles before the next time I've got to go to the hipouich

Nevertheless, I'm not changing my driving habits and will be interested to see the readings in another 3k.

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,272 Posts
Reactions: caribbean20

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
How do you drive the car from a cold start. Most of the bearing wear occurs when the engine is cols and oil is not flowing properly.
Hasan, thanks for the response. I always baby the motor until the oil temperature is proper, I know the rules and I'm the original owner. Besides, I reside in Los Angeles, where it is never cold and I have to drive at least 2 miles to get out of residential 30 MPH speed zones. Gotta chalk this one up to just normal wear for a high-revving motor, of which this motor has seen plenty:biggrin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts