BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Black Powdercoatd OE Wheels

I put my track wheels / tires on the car yesterday evening. In a previous post, several people wanted to see pics of the black wheels. THis was the first time putting them on the car, and while i think it looks pretty sharp, i don't think i'd want to live with this look day to day. Additionally, they really are quite a bit heavier than the dinan wheels! (you can feel it when you drive). THe tires are the newish dunlop sport race, r compound, sized 265-35-18 and cheap at $129 per corner at tirerack. I can post more info after sears point next weekend. I've used R tires before, but never on the M5.
Mike

edit: i'll try to get some pics in better light today
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,625 Posts
Re: Black Powdercoatd OE Wheels

Mike,

Thanks for the pics, the car looks like it's ready for some track work! Did the powdercoating add any weight to the wheels?

Travis
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,515 Posts
Re: Black Powdercoatd OE Wheels

M5Kid said:
Mike,

Thanks for the pics, the car looks like it's ready for some track work! Did the powdercoating add any weight to the wheels?

Travis
Travis,

Powdercoating is nothing more than super durable paint that begins as dust and gets baked on at kitchen oven temps. It is not much thicker or heavier than the factory finish. The advantage is it doesn't get attacked easily by brake dust and typical solvents used to clean wheels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,472 Posts
Re: Black Powdercoatd OE Wheels

I think it would have looked much better if you had polished lips but thumbs up for originality :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,041 Posts
Re: Black Powdercoatd OE Wheels

Mike: thanks for the pics. I most likely will do what you have done - my wheels are almost black anyway from daily driving and quarterly cleaning.

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,515 Posts
Re: Black Powdercoatd OE Wheels

It might be worth noting that most powder coated wheels do not deteriorate after many years of track use, dust and neglect. They usually just wash off without much scrubbing. Stuff does not stick and the powdercoat stays put.

Powdercoating is available in a wide range of colors....shadowchrome, no...but you can find silver, gold, blue, gray, orange, green etc. I would think silver would be worth a looksie for some folks struggling with M5 paint failure.

Ford used silver powder coat on many cars around 1990 (Mustang, Taurus etc). These powdercoated forged and cast alloy wheels are surely holding up nice 15 years later! Their painted & clearcoat wheels looked bad after about 3-4 years, kinda like M5. This is proof that powdercoating holds up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,346 Posts
Re: Black Powdercoatd OE Wheels

That looks good!

Mine are a bit scratched, so I was planning on doing something to mine anyway, this might very well be it!

Mine is Carbon Black so I guess it would look really good. mmmmmm
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Black Powdercoatd OE Wheels

Lscman said:
It might be worth noting that most powder coated wheels do not deteriorate after many years of track use, dust and neglect. They usually just wash off without much scrubbing. Stuff does not stick and the powdercoat stays put.
Powdercoating is available in a wide range of colors....shadowchrome, no...but you can find silver, gold, blue, gray, orange, green etc. I would think silver would be worth a looksie for some folks struggling with M5 paint failure.
.
The brake dust did rinse off quite easily. As for colors, the shop I used has a finish that is extremely close to shadowchrome. If you did one wheel, you'd notice the difference, but if you did one side, or the whole set you'd be hard pressed to notice a difference. Also, the spare wheel I bought was powdercoated silver, and it looks quite good. They also had a black chrome that looked pretty good, but was quite a bit more expensive than a solid color. (i think rob levinson has this finish on his M5T, if you care to do a search).
I additionally wanted a matte finish, but the shop said they couldn't do that. I'm not sure why, they said only gloss black. I wanted to go relatively inexpensive, hence no pollished lip, and i wanted low maintenance. These are just track wheels, and i'm not much for polishing aluminum on a regular basis.
Mike
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Black Powdercoatd OE Wheels

bayerischemotor said:
What did the powder coating cost?
it was 120 per wheel. I've heard of others having it done for less money, but in my area that was the going rate.
mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,625 Posts
Re: Black Powdercoatd OE Wheels

Mike,

I noticed your rotors seemed to be slotted in a different patter than other Stoptech slotted rotors I've seen? Is your setup older?

Travis
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Black Powdercoatd OE Wheels

M5Kid said:
Mike,

I noticed your rotors seemed to be slotted in a different patter than other Stoptech slotted rotors I've seen? Is your setup older?

Travis
You have an eye for detail Travis. I got my set about a year ago from another board member who bought the stoptechs, then decided on brembos. They hadn't yet been installed, and were sitting at dave z's shop with drilled rotors. Since i track the car, i wanted slotted, but stoptech had some big backorder on slotted rotors, so these are brembo slotted rotors. I'm not sure if this is brembo's standard slotted pattern, or if it's a special pattern for the stoptech application. long answer to a simple question!
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,625 Posts
Re: Black Powdercoatd OE Wheels

Mike,

Thanks for the info, interesting answer actually. Not to get off topic, but how do you like your Dinan 3.45 differential? Is the car still streetable and usable for everyday use?

Travis
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Re: Black Powdercoatd OE Wheels

MIKE, I AM GLAD YOU DID THIS, I HAD REALLY CONSIDERED DOING THE SAME, NOW I HAVE A GOOD IDEA AND WILL MAKE A BETTER DECISION. :biggrin:
mottati said:
I put my track wheels / tires on the car yesterday evening. In a previous post, several people wanted to see pics of the black wheels. THis was the first time putting them on the car, and while i think it looks pretty sharp, i don't think i'd want to live with this look day to day. Additionally, they really are quite a bit heavier than the dinan wheels! (you can feel it when you drive). THe tires are the newish dunlop sport race, r compound, sized 265-35-18 and cheap at $129 per corner at tirerack. I can post more info after sears point next weekend. I've used R tires before, but never on the M5.
Mike

edit: i'll try to get some pics in better light today
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Black Powdercoatd OE Wheels

M5Kid said:
Mike,

Thanks for the info, interesting answer actually. Not to get off topic, but how do you like your Dinan 3.45 differential? Is the car still streetable and usable for everyday use?

Travis
Yes Travis, the car is still very happy as a daily driver. I think i'm at 3k rpm at 80mph in 6th. There is still plenty of revs for 1st and 2nd around town. I'd do it again in a hearbeat. The extra gearing keeps me in 3rd and 4th for the most part of my track time.
Mike
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
386 Posts
Re: Black Powdercoatd OE Wheels

Mike nice wheels... how did the day at sears point go?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Re: Black Powdercoatd OE Wheels

be careful on the track. i have seen 3 failures of powdercoated wheels now. the heat (~400-450 degrees) used to bake the paint sometimes weakens the wheel and can cause the hub to separate from the rim.

powdercoating and painting are equivalent given similar preparation.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top