BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone send me a link to a DIY for black kidney grills?
I tried searching but I couldnt find one that went in detail into the process.
Specifically I'm wondering if you need to sandpaper off the chrome then apply the black and the clearcoat.

Thanks guys
Chris

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Can't help you out with a DIY on that, but I'd recommend getting a black grill off ebay for like 40 bucks and then either paint it yourself or getting it done at a body shop.

My experience is that the new one (especially the tabs that hold them to the hood) is much better. I broke 4 tabs from my factory one while taking it off, while the aftermarket one pops in and out without trouble.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
+1...but if you want to paint your oem grill, sand it down with 800 to 1200 grit and use a primer, black and clear coat spray them...

Can't help you out with a DIY on that, but I'd recommend getting a black grill off ebay for like 40 bucks and then either paint it yourself or getting it done at a body shop.

My experience is that the new one (especially the tabs that hold them to the hood) is much better. I broke 4 tabs from my factory one while taking it off, while the aftermarket one pops in and out without trouble.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks. Do you know of a particular brand or seller?

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Thanks. Do you know of a particular brand or seller?
I got mine from K2motor but they dont seem to have them anymore. Just do a search for e39 black grille and you'll get a bunch of stuff.

Just make sure you get the M5 ones (with the fatter top corners). You can post a link here before buying it just to be on the safe side if you have any doubts.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
They seem to be the ones but the ones I got specified "wide" in the title.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts

I agree with the tabs breaking! I painted mine a couple of times...despite sanding the OEM ones, and painting meticulously, chips appeared and I could see the faux chrome coming through. I guess the plastic got brittle, becuase I seemed to break another tab each time I removed and replaced them to paint. Finally got some from Beastpower.

Brian

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Can anyone send me a link to a DIY for black kidney grills?
I tried searching but I couldnt find one that went in detail into the process.
Specifically I'm wondering if you need to sandpaper off the chrome then apply the black and the clearcoat.

Thanks guys
Chris
take your own set of oem kidney grilles and drop it off at a body shop...

if you do it yourself, its fairly simple... however i wouldnt recommend this if youre going for a gloss finish... purchase plasti-dip spray, sand grille until the surface is thoroughly scuffed.... prime. spray. three coats VERY THINLY applied... let it set for 24hrs install and youre off...

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
The ones I got are already black, but matte. I just want to make them glossy black. Would they still have to paint them black or would a clear coat do the trick?

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
The cost to paint it would be way more than buying a black grill on eBay. You then have to option to change the look from time to time.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
The cost to paint it would be way more than buying a black grill on eBay. You then have to option to change the look from time to time.
You'd be in the same boat if the ones on ebay arent glossy. Most of them I've come across are matte black. I suppose it obvouisly depends on what you'd want on your car, but I'm part of the glossy crowd.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Try plastic polish and wax ( I used Mothers and Klasse). I've gotten mine just as glossy as the rest of the car with only a hint of color variation this way. You can't tell it's not painted unless you look at in the sun at the right angle. Works really well. I tried this to see if painting was really needed. I'll probably paint it eventually when I freshen up the front end to get rid of chips and dings though.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
What about the Carbon Fiber grills? I've been eyeballin' those for a while. They seem to be nice and gloosy and less than $200.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Call or go to Stealthauto.com they have some in stock (that's were i got mine)...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts