BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a few out there. Some say glossy some say flat, anyone know which is best for Silverstone car? Do not want to get involved painting.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I just got some black ones for my car and i dont like it at all. They're matte black and I'm gonna try to make them glossy before selling them off.

I dont like it on my car (anthracite) because it looks like something's missing there. It makes the classic BMW kidney grille harder to see.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I bought my matte black ones from ebay for my Alpine white and i love them.

They definitely look different on each car color so having something to look at would be good before you buy them.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Given a good picture, I could probably color them in photoshop to get an idea. I know I shouldve done that for my car...

·
Registered
151 Posts
my 2 cents:

I feel that the M5 kidneys are too thick for flat black, and it brings too much contrast between the shiny paint and the dull grill. For the thick M5 kidneys, I like shiny black.

For the thinner pre-facelift E39 (non M5) grills, I like the flat black.

·
Registered
230 Posts
personally i wanted the shadow chrome grill sold on ebay, but have not been able to find it. matte black on imola red was not going to work for me, so i went to lowes, got some sandpaper, automotive primer, and some rustoleum auto spray paint gloss black and did the work myself. started with the grill, then the sink drains to match, and finally the fog light trim rings.
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=12

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I started with flat black, but recently changed to a glossy black finish. I prefer the glossy :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I've got matte black on mine, and am very happy with them.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I bought my matte black ones from ebay for my Alpine white and i love them.

They definitely look different on each car color so having something to look at would be good before you buy them.
Do you have any pics of the black grille on your car? I am looking to get the matte one's as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Grill painted to match Jet Black for your reference.

·
Registered
430 Posts
On a black, silver, or white M5, I think the blackout grilles look wicked.

I just can't imagine it looking great on my LMB M5, especially considering I have the chromeline package.

·
Registered
707 Posts
My Carbon with black grills

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
OMG body color FTW! :cheers:

·
Registered
784 Posts
glossy black!

Because this fits perfect the glossy shadow line exterior trim!

I went this way with my oxfordgreenII beast and I am happy.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Did you guys directly bought them glossy black, did you gloss them up yourself, or did you get a body shop to paint them for you?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts