BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such a thing? I know there is gloss black but I'd like to get black chrome to pull out the Shadowline chrome around the windows etc.

What is the best quality/place to buy them?

·
Registered
513 Posts
There is such a thing. Maybe it's a custom job?? Possibly purchasing tail\head light tinted spray & spraying a few coats over chrome.

OLD link to someone selling: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/pa...black-chrome-front-kidney-grill-e60-75-a.html

Here is another link: http://topgearstreet.com/04-07-BMW-E60-Sport-Grille-Black-Chrome-Painted-Wide-Kidney-Grille.html
Hopefully the picture is not accurate since it just looks chrome to me.

Last one but the price is way too high & the chrome doesn't look that dark: http://www.ebay.com/itm/04-09-BMW-B...61-5D-Wagan-528i-530i-535i-550i-/171257728053

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting. I was hoping for an OEM so it matches perfectly. I don't know of anyone running these that can comment of the quality and fit.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do you plasti-dip in black chrome? And have it look OEM?

·
Registered
285 Posts
How do you plasti-dip in black chrome? And have it look OEM?
I'll take a pic of my grill and show you. I actually painted it while it was still attached to the car also. Looks completely OEM and glossy. Same with the side M fender grills.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please do post pics. Does it match the window trim though?

I hit my poly splitter with the black and that gives a very matte and rough finish.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Please do post pics. Does it match the window trim though?

I hit my poly splitter with the black and that gives a very matte and rough finish.
It's glossy and looks like paint from the car. I'll get pics when I head out for lunch:). I'll try to clean it off first though... as the cars really dirty right now.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's glossy and looks like paint from the car. I'll get pics when I head out for lunch:). I'll try to clean it off first though... as the cars really dirty right now.
cool. Let me know what grills you started with and the products you used :)

Reactions: mrmojom3

·
Registered
285 Posts
cool. Let me know what grills you started with and the products you used :)
If your really interested after I post the pics I could just post a DIY of all the products I used and how I did it. Every time some one sees it they ask how much did I buy it for. I tell them I painted it myself and they look at me like I'm lying haha.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If your really interested after I post the pics I could just post a DIY of all the products I used and how I did it. Every time some one sees it they ask how much did I buy it for. I tell them I painted it myself and they look at me like I'm lying haha.
Im definitely interested in the process....I've been looking around for pics and threads for shadowline grills and couldnt find much,

·
Registered
285 Posts
Im definitely interested in the process....I've been looking around for pics and threads for shadowline grills and couldnt find much,
Man I went to go take some pics for you. But I didn't want to it's WAY to dirty lol. I'm going to wash the car either tomorrow or Sunday and I'll get some. It's rather embarrassing right now how dirty it is.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Man I went to go take some pics for you. But I didn't want to it's WAY to dirty lol. I'm going to wash the car either tomorrow or Sunday and I'll get some. It's rather embarrassing right now how dirty it is.
killing me man! you could just wipe the grills off and snap a pic then "paint" over the rest to cover it up lol

·
Registered
769 Posts
This: Dupli-Color :: Shadow
And DIY, so you'll get it exactly how you want it. Think it's the best way, if there is no OEM solution. My M had the full Individual Shaowline package and it still didn't have "black chrome" kidney grills, so I doubt there are any. I'm not sure it'll look so great however, but that's just my two cents.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
This: Dupli-Color :: Shadow
And DIY, so you'll get it exactly how you want it. Think it's the best way, if there is no OEM solution. My M had the full Individual Shaowline package and it still didn't have "black chrome" kidney grills, so I doubt there are any. I'm not sure it'll look so great however, but that's just my two cents.
confused....All M's have the Shadowline trim around the windows. I can't see how that would create a perfect finish. If it is even slightly off it's going to look horrible b/c the chrome under it will exaggerate the imperfections.

I plasti-dipped (sprayed) the slats in my kidneys so those are dark and match the lower mesh. Looks 100% stock. I think it makes the kidneys stand out more

·
Registered
769 Posts
Well, since there are no OEM ones available to my knowledge, this would have been the best solution if I were to do this. I like to do things my self, so I get what I want and how I want it. Might not be the case for everyone.

No, shadowline is a choice you have. May be a no cost option, but still not all M's have it. My colleague at work don't have it on his E60 M5.
I think the bodywork paint color makes a huge difference on how the grilles look and what kind of overall appearance you're after. I liked mine semi-matte black, since it matched the lower grille and my carbon black paint.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, since there are no OEM ones available to my knowledge, this would have been the best solution if I were to do this. I like to do things my self, so I get what I want and how I want it. Might not be the case for everyone.

No, shadowline is a choice you have. May be a no cost option, but still not all M's have it. My colleague at work don't have it on his E60 M5.
I think the bodywork paint color makes a huge difference on how the grilles look and what kind of overall appearance you're after. I liked mine semi-matte black, since it matched the lower grille and my carbon black paint.

interesting....so your buddy has regular chrome around the windows?

·
Registered
769 Posts
interesting....so your buddy has regular chrome around the windows?
Yes. I'm not sure if it's different with US models, but here you had a choice. On my car, the Shadowline packages were sold as a BMW Individual option, but perhaps it was more extensive than the regular one. I'm not sure, but it says so on the spec sheet for my car.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts