BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, My car is jet black with lightly tinted windows. I have the stock orange in the reflector in the front lights.
Can I get away with orange calipers or should I stick with the traditional red?? Should I also paint my wheels black and THEN do the orange calipers?

Kinda like this....

I want to do something that is subtle, but yet sporty.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Do you have a BBK? If not then leave them alone or go with black. PLEASE dont paint stock yellow, orange or red.

That being said if you do have a BBK then I like the orange, its sporty and different. You dont see that around much at all.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Oh boy! A gold/orange BBK would be cool but I agree if you are talking about stock calipers, black, silver, dark gray, etc.

Props on retaining the amber headlights, by the way.

·
Registered
113 Posts
subtle you say? nothing subtle about orange calipers against an otherwise, completely black "background". subtle might be only painting certain aspects of the calipers. I have a jb m5 w/ tint and the PO painted the STOCK calipers red....not a fan, at all. like the previous poster, that is only SOMEWHAT tasteful if it's a BBK. then again, you are asking opinions.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Cool color combination, but doesn't fit the e39 character.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting perspectives guys. Although I can respect the fact that BBK's are badass and they can be pink and still look good, you guys are making it sound the stock M5 brakes are as small as a Civic's. Drawing attention to 14" rotors and a good size calipers isn't necessarily embarassing.

Anyway, the car will be lowered very soon and I wanted to do something that would kind of make it my own and "pop" I guess if you will. I am going to try red and orange and post some pictures, I can always go to black if I don't like it in the end.

·
Registered
797 Posts
No shortage of opinions here. lol I agree with them, but you have the right attitude. If they don't look right to you, you can always go back.

They do look good in that pic tho. :biggrin:

dj

Reactions: yellowgixxer

·
Registered
252 Posts
There was one of those Lambo's in front of the hotel here in Saigon the other day. Probably cost the owner $1,000,000 to have it imported here with all the duties and taxes added on.

·
Registered
194 Posts
There was one of those Lambo's in front of the hotel here in Saigon the other day. Probably cost the owner $1,000,000 to have it imported here with all the duties and taxes added on.

Is the owner standing by the left front tire? If he isn't, he needs to back off that car!! That situation annoys me the most! Not your car? Don't go near it! You didn't pay for it, you have no right to be within a two foot radius of it! Unless you know the owner of course... :haha:

Ryan

Sorry, off topic.

I think all black with orange calipers would look kinda epic!

·
4,395 Posts
+1 only if it's a big brake kit

any color imo would look go, just avoid the Yellow & Red + plain colors i.e. blue/green - Silver & Black work great they have that purpose/subtle look

i.e.

if i had jet black i would consider
Teal
British Racing Green
Emerald
Avus Blue
Alpina Blue
Alpina Green

·
Registered
105 Posts
Interesting perspectives guys. Although I can respect the fact that BBK's are badass and they can be pink and still look good, you guys are making it sound the stock M5 brakes are as small as a Civic's. Drawing attention to 14" rotors and a good size calipers isn't necessarily embarassing.
I wouldn't want to draw attention to cheap, single-piston calipers that are essentially just larger versions of the commodity products fitted to your average family car. Plus the OEM calipers are simply ugly.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Is the owner standing by the left front tire? If he isn't, he needs to back off that car!! That situation annoys me the most! Not your car? Don't go near it! You didn't pay for it, you have no right to be within a two foot radius of it! Unless you know the owner of course... :haha:

Ryan
I doubt that was the owner. The attraction is this could be the only one in Vietnam (or at least Saigon). That's why everyone was taking pictures next to it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
+1 only if it's a big brake kit

any color imo would look go, just avoid the Yellow & Red + plain colors i.e. blue/green - Silver & Black work great they have that purpose/subtle look

i.e.

if i had jet black i would consider
Teal
British Racing Green
Emerald
Avus Blue
Alpina Blue
Alpina Green
Interesting ideas. I like it. I might have to get someone with a P-chop to play around with some ideas...

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wouldn't want to draw attention to cheap, single-piston calipers that are essentially just larger versions of the commodity products fitted to your average family car. Plus the OEM calipers are simply ugly.
I guess if you look at something so pessimistically, then you are bound to not see the positive of it. I guess we could say the same about our 5.0L V8 being "essentially just larger versions of the commodity products fitted to your average family car" and thus nothing special ;)

Anyway, thanks for the the perspective.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Go for it and post some pictures! Personally, I;m gonna do gloss Black and tape off the ///M and either leave it bare metal or go with white.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I guess if you look at something so pessimistically, then you are bound to not see the positive of it. I guess we could say the same about our 5.0L V8 being "essentially just larger versions of the commodity products fitted to your average family car" and thus nothing special ;)

Anyway, thanks for the the perspective.
The thing is, that analogy doesn't really work. The S62 is a masterpiece, a thing of beauty to listen to, to look at and to be propelled by. They share the same internal-combustion architecture, but in emotive terms the S62 is a million miles removed from your average mass-produced four-pot.

OEM calipers on the other hand, are widely considered one of the E39's weakest components. They neither look good (imo of course) and nor do they perform particularly well.

Here's another analogy. Painting stock brake calipers in a day-glo colour is like adding go-faster stripes and a big wing to a Prius. Or like a 1.0 litre Nissan sporting a 4" tailpipe.

I have no issue with bright colours per se (one of my other cars has orange wheels). but this comes across as all show and no go, undeserved bling without the substance to back it up.

Sorry if this comes across as negative. It's all in the spirit of lively discussion.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
It's your car. Do what you want with it but keep it tasteful. You are a representative of m5board.com but more importantly, your car represents what an E39 M5 is. Don't rice it up!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's your car. Do what you want with it but keep it tasteful. You are a representative of m5board.com but more importantly, your car represents what an E39 M5 is. Don't rice it up!
No rice here, I promise.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I doubt that was the owner. The attraction is this could be the only one in Vietnam (or at least Saigon). That's why everyone was taking pictures next to it.
I totally forgot you were over there! Nice picture BTW.

No rice here, I promise.
As others and you have mentioned, try it. Worst case, you don't like it and you can paint them black and learn to listen to the rest of us (jk). Don't forget to post pictures ;)

Reactions: josiahg52

·
Registered
252 Posts
I totally forgot you were over there! Nice picture btw
Yes, sadly I'm here until 3/23. My neighbors won't be so happy when I fire her up after a 3 week sleep. Sucks not driving that car....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts