BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
That is pretty cool. Nat tried to buy my turbine covers from me a week or two ago on FB.

They are staying with men for now. Picking up my car on Sunday from storage.......I am pumped.

Did you buy it back so you can swap the S38 into the wagon ?

And yes, fix the rust, sooner as opposed to later. I had a line on a nice E34 touring myself (530) but it is now sold. I will be on the hunt cash in hand if anyone has a lead on anything decent and close (ash) to me. Just looking for a daily to replace my F150.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Well done sir.

Rust, just fix it.
:x This one isn't bad at all, the touring is going to need serious help.

That is pretty cool. Nat tried to buy my turbine covers from me a week or two ago on FB.

They are staying with men for now. Picking up my car on Sunday from storage.......I am pumped.

Did you buy it back so you can swap the S38 into the wagon ?

And yes, fix the rust, sooner as opposed to later. I had a line on a nice E34 touring myself (530) but it is now sold. I will be on the hunt cash in hand if anyone has a lead on anything decent and close (ash) to me. Just looking for a daily to replace my F150.
He included the Turbines with my buy back, thankfully. And boy am I glad to be back, the feels are unparalleled.

This car doesn't have much rust, just a few tiny spots; and my wagon is a ton of car honestly, it "only" needs a respray and headliner, and it's good to go. It's a great daily besides the poor gas mileage.

I really want an M5T, but it'd have to be a B38 or heavily built B36, and I wouldn't break up a factory 540iT like mine for that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bought it back.

[snip]

I slept like a baby last night and will try to hold onto the white one for longer this time.
Wooooohoo! :imnotworthy:

I really want an M5T, but it'd have to be a B38 or heavily built B36, and I wouldn't break up a factory 540iT like mine for that.
I think you're already doing rather well on the E34 ownership at this point buddy.

·
10,442 Posts
i agree, a 540 touring is a rare car in the US. If you were to swap better (and easier i think) to start with a common 525 and go from there.

Congrats on getting the m5 back. Good combo you have.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I think you're already doing rather well on the E34 ownership at this point buddy.
Thank you sir; and to think I never gave E34s a second glance when I was in the E36 world. E34 man dyed in the wool, now

i agree, a 540 touring is a rare car in the US. If you were to swap better (and easier i think) to start with a common 525 and go from there.

Congrats on getting the m5 back. Good combo you have.
Thanks Mike. Only problem is this 540 touring needs a full re-spray, but that's really the "only" thing hurting it's value.

----------------

I've been focusing on cleaning up my 540 actually, but I need to get reacquainted with BK06091. One of the first items will be installing this (at a muffler shop, since I don't have B&B resonators):

I'll be able to go staggered Turbines thanks to this....

My man knows my priorities, loading BK06091 up with parts for my drive home (with a dirty interior, same as how I sold it to him), but a recently, meticulously, steam-cleaned S38. I better finally buy that new coolant reservoir before they go NLA...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Bleedsblue said:
I've been focusing on cleaning up my 540 actually, but I need to get reacquainted with BK06091. One of the first items will be installing this (at a muffler shop, since I don't have B&B resonators):

http://s295.photobucket.com/user/bleedsblue_2008/media/b_b_zpsxd5nxow1.jpg.html

I'll be able to go staggered Turbines thanks to this....

http://s295.photobucket.com/user/bleedsblue_2008/media/msystem9_zpsbsgwgtrw.jpg.html

My man knows my priorities, loading BK06091 up with parts for my drive home (with a dirty interior, same as how I sold it to him), but a recently, meticulously, steam-cleaned S38. I better finally buy that new coolant reservoir before they go NLA...

http://s295.photobucket.com/user/bleedsblue_2008/media/s38clean_zpszib0mddj.jpg.html

Conversely, I slept like crap, missing her! Glad that the drive home was easy. I'll order that coolant reservoir today if you want, it'll be in the building tomorrow.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Staggered M Systems ! That is what my car has too and from the factory as well. I will be curious to see what you run for tires (and sizes) mine are likely crap but relatively new so it will be a while before I swap them out. I could buy a set of PSS right now in 235/245 sizes and put them on at a later date. As an aside I still have the original spare in the trunk. It is a Michelin PXX2 or something like that. I found that pretty funny.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Jason, it's a bit up in the air in terms of tire choice right now. BK came back to me on fairly fresh snow tires, which I want to save for next winter for my Touring, so in the meantime I dismounted those, and mounted some older 235 PSS on the front 8s, and some older 255 Hankook RS3s (not even v2s, original RS3s) on the 9s. The RS3s are pretty hard and loud, and wide, so not a long term solution.

I'll likely have another pair of 9s soon, and am now trying to decide if I want staggered M Systems on both E34s, or square 9s on the M5. At this point, the Touring is the soft daily and the M5 is the weekender/autocrosser, so 9s with some sticky 245 or 255 all around would be slick. For my Touring in its daily driver mission, I'll be doing Michelin PSS no matter what.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
About 25k miles after the S38 top end rebuild and head gasket, BK is still running like a raped ape. We just had a (typical) spring snow dump, so I've been driving the Touring mainly. But I did re-register BK, which included a smog test the car passed with flying colors (this is at 245,000+ miles!!!), and I also had the B&B muffler (no resonators) installed the other day.

The always-nervous wait at the emissions station...

I'm quite surprised how tame the B&B is, and am guessing much of that has to do with retaining the factory resonators. I'm satisfied with the muted, but noticeable extra growl, since I worried I would have a droney, intake-drowning monster on my hands.

I would like to capture some decent video (pictures are still coming, perhaps this Saturday @ Cars and Coffee), eventually at an autocross. I'm signed up for an SCCA event in a week, which will somehow be my first in this car (in cumulative years of ownership :( ) but is really more of a refresher and a shakedown, than a competitive effort. I'm interested to see how the KWs do, but SCCA classing is unkind to E34s, particularly for new drivers like myself.

I'd like to make a more dedicated, but budget-minded run at BMWCCA autocross events, as well as trackdays potentially this summer.

There won't be much to report in terms of mods, upgrades, or restoration; just driving hard and hoping things don't break :devil

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #91 (Edited)
Phew. Not the greatest weekend for BK, or really me. I had a busy week but was psyched for SCCA autocross Sunday (today), as well as Cars and Coffee Saturday. I wanted to clean BK's interior, install the rear Turbine covers on the 9s, swap the rear 15mm spacers for 20s, and find a source of suspension bind when turning.

Friday night I went to pull the Turbine covers out of the 8" M Systems that had been on the rear axle, hoping to knock out the swap-over to the 9s and then clean the interior at least before Cars and Coffee.

Instead I found 9 bolts that were very over-torqued, and one missing, out of the pair of Turbine covers. I ended up hammering a T40 Torx into one bolt at a time to remove them, and at this point ran out of time and patience (not to mention, I wasn't going to re-use the bolts), and took the Touring to Cars and Coffee. Small potatoes.

Saturday (yesterday), after a nice Cars and Coffee in HOT and sunny Lafayette, Colorado (some highlights: my ex-'86 Carrera, and a genuine Canadian M540i in Avus, both out to drum up interest), I stopped by Lowes for new M System bolts (did the same thing on my first set of Turbines years ago) and got to work. Fresh bolts (and actually five per M System) went in smoothly, and the 20mm spacers flushed out the rear fenders a bit more (still not quite enough).

I also installed new OEM midpipe exhaust hangars, since one was missing and the other was replaced with safety wire.

I moved onto the front, popping the hood to check on the beating heart, but quickly found something pretty wrong:

That might explain some of the clanking I was hearing (more on that later). Until then I hadn't looked closely at the strut brace install: yowza. The camber plate nuts were clearly used to bend the strut brace end plates down to fit the ridges on the E34 strut towers, which likely stretched one (or them all) and sheared a camber plate bolt clean off.

I did a lot of brainstorming and poking, but ended up cancelling my autocross registration because I didn't want to pull an all-nighter fixing this, only to stand in the sun for 8 hours the next day. I instead achieved some small but satisfying fixes on the Touring.

After some research, I determined the camber plates were worth keeping (BMW E28/E30/E34 FRONT ADJUSTABLE CAMBER AND CASTER PLATE KIT | eBay), and I dug into the car today (Sunday). First, taking one of the front wheels off, I noted it only had four lug nuts (always good). I don't know if it's a scarier thought that the tire shop (who I used to trust) didn't say anything, or if they were the ones that left it off?

I was very grateful to find that the camber plate bolts were accessible from underneath the strut tower without pulling the strut entirely, so I started to remove the strut brace/strut nuts, the five that remained. Three came off easily, as well as completely bent washers that were also innocent bystander victims in the effort to bend the strut brace end plates, but two of the bolts were spinning with the lock nuts.

After dealing with those, I cast the strut brace aside (Greg 93FIM5 will be "whipping up" some end plates for the brace, which is a nice aluminum unit--hopefully he'll like the design enough to replicate in some fashion for other E34 folks) and got the strut with the bad bolt out. I was grateful the shorty backed out easily:

...but I realized yet another victim of the strut brace install was some stripped threads in the camber plates (thus, the spinning bolts). I wish the plates used a splined+pressed or welded bolt, but then again they also weren't designed to bend thick metal end plates to form. Probably. Another good trip to Lowes later, and I had a new bolt to go in. The camber plate threads for the new bolt were actually still good, so this was cake. The bolt is black and a tiny bit shorter, but I was dealing with Lowes, not an endless online catalog.

Things bolted back up nicely, and I used the opportunity to dial the camber plates all the way negative (they were set to different levels, and close to neutral). I'll get the alignment dialed in at a race shop, and use THAT opportunity to get a professional to look at the KW V2s, and dial them in with a corner balance.

I also had to swap the front Turbine covers around (thanks again, Discount Tire, despite me explaining the directional covers), and when moving one wheel, I found THAT Turbine cover also only had 4 bolts, and only 3 that were properly installed--another was cross-threaded, and required another good T40 Torx hammer session, and this wheel made another loud clang anytime it moved as the Turbine cover clapped the wheel spoke. All better now, and all my Turbinez are sucking in air quietly now.

My confidence in the mechanical condition of the suspension was now lessened, so I poked and prodded around. I wasn't able to find an obvious source of bind (my first thought was over-tighened Mooseheads, but they were fine), and my only remaining idea is the front sway bar end links (Meyle something, not sure which type) have no play in them whatsoever, and seem seized. Maybe bad already and causing the bind? I think the PO had them installed recently.

After a long day, I took a break and then set to cleaning the interior, but quickly ran out of steam. I know this car hasn't had an interior detail in 5 years (three of which were mine ).

Sorry for the lighting changes, but I made good progress in the front driver seat area:

Dust. Tee.

I'm not sure what this substance was on the steering wheel and knob, but it came off and I got a layer of conditioner down on both.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Staggered M Systems ! That is what my car has too and from the factory as well. I will be curious to see what you run for tires (and sizes) mine are likely crap but relatively new so it will be a while before I swap them out. I could buy a set of PSS right now in 235/245 sizes and put them on at a later date. As an aside I still have the original spare in the trunk. It is a Michelin PXX2 or something like that. I found that pretty funny.
I've got the same michelin spare

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
great work.

details matter!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Because of home buying (still searching); long-term wedding planning (spring '18); Europe trip planning (August this year, Munich + Prague + Vienna); and work blowing up, BK06091 has largely sat, maybe getting out once a week :(

I haven't even finished detailing the interior, but I have a shop in Denver that will be doing a corner balance and track set-up for the KWs, again likely after I move.

Basically all that's been accomplished is square 9" Turbines. No, no pictures yet (Ms. Bleedsblue has been busy, too), but it looks gooooood. I left the inner fans out for an even deeper dish.

I had one 9 from a guy on the forum (in bad shape); a BNIB 9 from BK's interim owner; and got a full staggered, polished, forged set of Throwing Stars from Eero in Finland. Not being a polish guy, and wanting something fast, I opted to refinish the Finnish 9s with Rustoleum silver. I have to say, it's not a terrible match with Felgensilber 144, though I will have this set (minus the BNIB wheel) refinished professionally at some point.

Since I already had a pair of 255 RS3s I needed to burn through, I opted for the just-released Hankook RS4 in 255 for the other axle. They sit nicely on the 9s (of course, I'd like them better on a 9.5 or 10), and will hopefully be a nice mix of longevity, heat resistance, and performance on the track.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #97 (Edited)
Oh man, I really want the square 9 setup on my next m5. Looking forward to pics of that!
I think I recognize your username--and I'm surprised you've never ran that setup! I'm stuck between taking crappy, quick & dirty pictures, or postponing for a bit more quality/set-up since that is usually worth waiting for. Plus, the front will likely come up a bit but we'll see

:nerd

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
She may not look that low, but it's been rub city (and the fenders are rolled) up front and finally, last night at an awkward angle, I got a little fender lip and it was pulled out. If this was a clean car I would have done something earlier, but no harm done on this POS :devil

I have a KW adjustment wrench in the mail to rise the front a few mm, since I would rather not put the wheel more inboard and am maxed out on camber. Plus there isn't much inboard room with these wheel offsets (ET8 including spacers).

Other News
A friend with an immaculate E34 was recently in town, and in addition to plying him with Colorado microbrews and whiskey, I "made him" drive my E34s for his impressions. The most outstanding issues he noted on BK were the likely need for bump steer plates (at such a ride height), and the world's sloppiest shifter. I didn't actually think of the former, but I did know of the latter and have been putting up with it.

I installed AKG's largest bump steer plates (no pictures, it was dark and dirty and not exciting) and have noted a significant reduction in steering effort and the binding sensation that had been bothering me! So, good suggestion on my buddy's part there. I'm not interested in doing a ton of steering investigation when I know I have a fresh, 82k mile steering box waiting to go in...

Also at my friend's suggestion, I found what I think was a good deal on a UUC DSSR shift rod ($85 shipped). I didn't even know you could buy the shift rod separate from a UUC short shift kit. I'm not sure when this will go in, since I still want to get the driveshaft rebuilt and all shifter R&R is pretty easy with the DS removed.

I have some cool stuff coming, largely to do with the interior that needs to be completely redone. Oh joy :D

Real Headlights
BK needs more light output, and I've always wanted to do a proper projector retrofit on a BMW. It was all the rage when I was in the E36 world, so I started researching and have been asking advice from authorities like RVAE34 on bf.c.

Side note: I think I will swap the Frenchies over to the Touring.

For the M5, I'll plan to build Acura TSX retrofits with nice digital ballasts, and a top of the line bulb, in the Hella smilies currently on the Touring. I already sourced a pair of TSX projectors for $125, and am doing some parts comparisons for the other componentry. I'll do a minor documentation job on this project, but nothing too extensive since RVAE34 and others have beautiful DIY write-ups out there already.

Just another box to check on the never-ending project list! 246k miles and counting.

81 - 100 of 115 Posts
About this Discussion
114 Replies
19 Participants
Bleedsblue
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing