BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After going through four leaking OE oil caps, I purchased the Bimmian oil cap. This is a great piece, good looking and with a thick gasket that means the cap just doesn't leak, even after 5K miles and an oil change. I was also most pleased at how well the cap complements the other underhood components, not to mention the strut brace.

I give it a resounding two thumbs up! If you get one make sure to firmly tighten the allen bolt underneath before installation, and due to the thicker gasket, push down while turning.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
It looks like I'm going to be going through my second OE oil cap.
So I'm thinking about the Bimmian oil cap.

Do you still like it?

BKH said:
After going through four leaking OE oil caps, I purchased the Bimmian oil cap. This is a great piece, good looking and with a thick gasket that means the cap just doesn't leak, even after 5K miles and an oil change. I was also most pleased at how well the cap complements the other underhood components, not to mention the strut brace.

I give it a resounding two thumbs up! If you get one make sure to firmly tighten the allen bolt underneath before installation, and due to the thicker gasket, push down while turning.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
BKH said:

Just got mine (after plenty of leakage from OEM) and it looks amazing. Excellent fit and finish. Got the brushed aluminum, although it is now also offered in Beryllium Aluminum.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Should I buy one that is slightly off and simply apes it? (rim shot!) (bad pun)

ok. 'Bimmian' is one letter off from aping it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've had the Bimmian oil cap now for a coupe of weeks. It seems that this has cured the oil seepage problem of the OEM oil cap.

It seems that the aluminum cap conducts a lot more heat vs. the plastic cap. I'm wondering if this excess heat is negative for that hose in the picture above. By the way, what is that hose?

bksf said:
It looks like I'm going to be going through my second OE oil cap.
So I'm thinking about the Bimmian oil cap.

Do you still like it?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I have had it for a few months as well and no seepage or heating issues. It does heat up, enough that it is an effort to open it with a bare hand after the engine has been running, but not enough to actually cause a problem for the hose or neighboring parts.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm not sure who the member was and where he bought this cap, but I distinctly recall that a member posted a serious issue regarding the locking pin on an aftermarket cap falling into the engine.

He luckily got it out with some pliers of sorts, but it could have had a potential catastropic outcome (and huge costs) if it fell deeper into the engine.

Careful with A/M caps...

R

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
imolaman said:
I'm not sure who the member was and where he bought this cap, but I distinctly recall that a member posted a serious issue regarding the locking pin on an aftermarket cap falling into the engine.

He luckily got it out with some pliers of sorts, but it could have had a potential catastropic outcome (and huge costs) if it fell deeper into the engine.

Careful with A/M caps...

R
Point taken, I recall the post, but frankly that is the difference between $4.99 no name brands sold on Ebay and $40 gas caps :eek:oohhh: made by a recognized name such as Bimmian. The cap is really a work of art IMO, excellent craftsmanship and materials, I don't expect to hear the horror stories our boardmember had with the cheap knock-off. :checkeredflag:

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Point taken, I recall the post, but frankly that is the difference between $4.99 no name brands sold on Ebay and $40 gas caps made by a recognized name such as Bimmian.
Well, maybe. The comment above about there being an allen bolt/screw underneath and tightening it worries me. Just that it's there worries me, as anything with threads can back off over time with heat cycles and vibrations. Even worrying about having an allen screw drop into the engine isn't my idea of fun. As a side note, I have had a less than satisfactory customer service experience with Bimmian over another product, though I understand others have had no problems or even great service.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
My car has 130,000 kms on it and has only just had its first cap replaced.. not bad going I dont think. They sure do look good though. Draws a bit too much attention to it for my liking, but certainly a nice piece of engineering!!

·
Registered
569 Posts
I just ordered mine yesterday, along with the matte black kidney grilles. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
536 Posts
BKH said:
If you get one make sure to firmly tighten the allen bolt underneath before installation
Rules me out totally. :nono: grrrrrrr :grrrr: ??????

If the design requires an allen bolt to be tightened before installing, then it's going nowhere near my engine .........

That cap is less than 2 inches away from a fast moving duplex chain, and nearly £12,000 worth of engine. It is constantly being soaked in 10W60 engine oil and oil vapour, and pretty extreme vibrations and changes in temperature. Plenty of reasons not to risk a £0.05 allen bolt coming loose and causing big trouble.

If I had that cap on my car, I would have to check the security of that allen bolt every time I used the car, and even then, I'd be worried about it. Kind of defeats the benefit of it looking nice.

My car has an OEM E46 M3 oil cap on it, embossed with 'Castrol', and it doesn't leak a drop of oil. I'm happy !

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
That cap is less than 2 inches away from a fast moving duplex chain, and nearly £12,000 worth of engine. It is constantly being soaked in 10W60 engine oil and oil vapour, and pretty extreme vibrations and changes in temperature. Plenty of reasons not to risk a £0.05 allen bolt coming loose and causing big trouble.
You and I are on exactly the same page, my friend (only I'd quote US dollars instead!). :byebye:

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Question for others with the seeping oil cap: Can't we just put a thicker gasket on it? I admittedly haven't had mine off to look at the gasket's integratoin into the cap, but wouldn't that seem like an easy solution?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wiggis said:
If I had that cap on my car, I would have to check the security of that allen bolt every time I used the car, and even then, I'd be worried about it. Kind of defeats the benefit of it looking nice.
Well I'm not worried about it. The allen bolt is going nowhere. I've had to tighten it once, and that was when it was difficult to remove as the tabs were turning very slightly. Cranking it down solved that problem permanently. I repeat, no way the bolt is going to come off, otherwise I would have trashed this cap a long time ago.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Well I'm not worried about it. The allen bolt is going nowhere.
Maybe a pic of the underside of the cap would convince us? hmmm

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
BKH said:
Well I'm not worried about it. The allen bolt is going nowhere. I've had to tighten it once, and that was when it was difficult to remove as the tabs were turning very slightly. Cranking it down solved that problem permanently. I repeat, no way the bolt is going to come off, otherwise I would have trashed this cap a long time ago.
ive used this type before on my older 3ser with no problem...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts