BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whew! What a weekend! I was planning to drive my M5 down to Santa Barbara but because of some damage to my rear tire sidewalls (there was a piece of metal sticking out on the inner fender lining), I had to take the MINI instead. In a way I'm happy that I did. The roads heading down to California were unbelievably twisty going up and down the Redwood forest. I drove with a small caravan consisting of a pair of E46 M3's (one was all Dinan'ed out), two MINI (mine and VanCooper's), an E34 M5, an E38 740i, and an E36 M3. It was a good group of guys. We then met up with the Norcal caravan in Pleasanton and then met up with the M5 caravan in Gilroy. It was a short yet frenzied drive down to Santa Barbara.

The day of the Bimmerfest, was full of highlights. I'll try to write more about my experiences later as I'm STILL here in Santa Barbara and I'm exhausted! I had the opportunity to check out Steve Dinan's personal S3 M5 and meet the man himself too!

Steve Dinan and me.

Steve's Imola Red S3 M5

Proof of it's existence is in the badge

And the engine bay.

Not quite as pretty as the setup from DA and RMS but the performance numbers were hard to ignore. 638 HP which takes this S3 M5 up to 209 mph!

Afterwards, we went on a road rally that was just unbelieveable with at least 300 cars in attendance! We went on a 60 mile tour heading up 101 before heading back towards Santa Barbara on Hwy 154. Beautiful scenery out there. The best part was hearing all those cars roar! :hihi:

Cars in front!

And in back too!

More to come later....BTW, Beewang was there too!

·
Registered
267 Posts
atomic80 said:
Whew! What a weekend! I was planning to drive my M5 down to Santa Barbara but because of some damage to my rear tire sidewalls (there was a piece of metal sticking out on the inner fender lining), I had to take the MINI instead. In a way I'm happy that I did. The roads heading down to California were unbelievably twisty going up and down the Redwood forest. I drove with a small caravan consisting of a pair of E46 M3's (one was all Dinan'ed out), two MINI (mine and VanCooper's), an E34 M5, an E38 740i, and an E36 M3. It was a good group of guys. We then met up with the Norcal caravan in Pleasanton and then met up with the M5 caravan in Gilroy. It was a short yet frenzied drive down to Santa Barbara.

The day of the Bimmerfest, was full of highlights. I'll try to write more about my experiences later as I'm STILL here in Santa Barbara and I'm exhausted! I had the opportunity to check out Steve Dinan's personal S3 M5 and meet the man himself too!

Not quite as pretty as the setup from DA and RMS but the performance numbers were hard to ignore. 638 HP which takes this S3 M5 up to 209 mph!

Afterwards, we went on a road rally that was just unbelieveable with at least 300 cars in attendance! We went on a 60 mile tour heading up 101 before heading back towards Santa Barbara on Hwy 154. Beautiful scenery out there. The best part was hearing all those cars roar! :hihi:

hey atomic80,

It was a fun day out there, the show and the products were nice too...
I was there in the silver M5, but I was surprised not to see more M5s out there....there was one blue M5 w/ Oregon platers parked in the dealer lot.

But I did not see any other M5s on the road towards 154 Hwy.....

And then the crash that M3 or 330Ci had on the 101 HWy towards 154 Hwy...CHP also pulled over 2 knuckleheads who were just asking for it and driving like maniacs....

Did you guys finish the Rally, towards 154 Hwy ? because once that M3 wiped out, I just got off and bailed back home.....I realized that there were just too many kids, driving very irresponsibly and recklessly.

Howevery, overall the weather and atmosphere were just fabulous.....

Ed

·
Registered
321 Posts
I almost did not make it to Bimmerfest, but I am so glad I made it in the end. I was sitting at my desk staring at the clock. My brother (he drives an alpine white M3) calls me just to taunt me about how great the event is. I left the office at 2pm. Crossed the SB city limits at 3:10pm :haha2: . I made it just in time for the rally. The number of bimmers there was staggering. We formed a line of bimmers miles long on the freeway. It was a sight to behold.

I'm sorry I did not get to meet up with you atomic80. I did however run into Emporer and alpinewhite. Spent the rest of the day with them and had a blast. Could barely keep up with alpinewhite's dinan'd out ride. And I wouldnt have made the run without Emporer's Motor Oil (thanks! :M5thumbs: ). Mottati, your rims looked great on Emporer's silver M5 btw. He was threatening to not give it back to you.
-edit-
em5464, did not get a chance to meet you either. But I guess I did show up late. Next year maybe we should create a roster so the M5s could carve out a section of their own. The actions of a few idiots did not account for the majority of cars there today (300+). You should have continued on with the rally. The scenery was even better up at the lake. Us three M5s pulled over at one point just to watch the parade go by.
-edit-
This was certainly one of the craziest events I have ever been a part of. Maybe next year we could get even more of us out there. :cheers:

·
Registered
548 Posts
Yeah!! It was great to meet old dogs like Atmoic80 and be able to put a face to some of the familiar names :M5thumbs:

I did not go on the rally, but rather, I was catching up w/ some old friends at the Dealer's lot. It sure looks fun :flag:

Got anymore pictures??

cheers,

beewang :viking:

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Jason,

Thanks for the pictures -- hopefully more are coming too!

Hey, from looking at the Dinan SC motor versus the D/A version, I like the design of the Dinan intake piping much more from an internal fluid flow standpoint. In a distant past life, I specialized in internal fluid flow and heat transfer doing stuff like building a computer model under contract to NASA Lewis of an F15 inlet with modifications for V/STOL operation and other such stuff...anyway, I've always disliked the D/A piping into the plenum -- the bends "look" too sharp and too small of a diameter, especially the one the intake closer to the SC...that one just looks nasty from an internal flow perspective. The Dinan one looks just like what I would expect -- nice design. I would bet the D/A setup could pickup a nice gain with this intake piping.

It looks like he uses a front mount air-to-air intercooler also which would have the potential to yield more power on a continual basis. Notice the SC on the left in your picture and then the return on the right. The other concern I had with the D/A design was the internal to the plenum air-to-water intercooler with those water hoses inside the plenum.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Did anyone else notice on the second picture down from the top that the S3 package evidently entails a foglight delete?

Hmm.

-Matthew

·
10,455 Posts
It also looks like steve's running toyo RA1's on his car...

MT JTN said:
Did anyone else notice on the second picture down from the top that the S3 package evidently entails a foglight delete?

Hmm.

-Matthew

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Mike,

Just noticed that when I was looking at the pictures. From your experience, what is it like to run a moderate (Toyo RA-1 or (forgot what your running)) R-Compounds on the street?

Travis

·
Registered
78 Posts
crnjyM5 said:
The scenery was even better up at the lake. Us three M5s pulled over at one point just to watch the parade go by.
I was the silver 545 behind you on the rally. When the 2nd lane became available a couple times, we had some good runs as I topped out 3rd and 4th trying to follow you guys. When I hit redline in 4th(if my memory serves me right), it actually suprised me as I don't get to do that to often. On that second run, I was getting rock chipped to hell:grrrr: , but that's okay. When you guys decided to pull over, I was a bit saddened as it was probably the best part of the day for me. I'll try to put some pics up of the three of you later. :cheers:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Thanks for the pics, looks like you guys in CALI have all the fun, maybe us Texas folks will throw something together to share with you all, were gettin bored down here as evident by the mower pics, Josh

B

·
0 Posts
Very nice photos. Thanks for posting. More S3 photos would be appreciated, if available.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
10,455 Posts
Travis, i have not tried the ra-1 myself yet. I know steve dinan likes the tire for year round (california) road and track use. I had him as an instructor years ago, and rode in his m3 with them and came away pretty impressed.

As for a moderate R tire on the street, i've run my dunlop sport race tires for a couple of weeks total, in dry and in rain, and have to say they are quite fine. THey kick up some rocks more than your typical street tire, and they flat spot quickly. Park, get some lunch and go back out and the car has the shakes for a mile or so. Board member Emperor can probably give better feedback, as he borrowed my track tires for his M5 to make the track down to SB, since he had some pothole damage to a couple of his street wheels.
Mike

M5Kid said:
Mike,

Just noticed that when I was looking at the pictures. From your experience, what is it like to run a moderate (Toyo RA-1 or (forgot what your running)) R-Compounds on the street?

Travis

·
Registered
225 Posts
Re: More Bimmerfest pictures!

What a great time! The caravan down to Santa Barbara on Friday morning was a blast. We met up in Gilroy for the caravan with Keith's group and had a total of about 80 BMWs from Washington, Oregon and Northern CA.

I've attached pics to try to give you an idea of the magnitude of the event. I found the highest spot I could (the dealer's corner sign) to get some panorama shots. The attached pics only include those cars on the Santa Barbara BMW dealer lot; there were many more on Porsche lot, the side, in the back and in numerous overflow lots all around the dealer. There were over 800 BMW's signed up to attend. Thanks to Jon Shafer for pulling off this incredible event.

In the last pic, you'll see Greg S' '91 white M5 (sorry, don't remember screen name), alpineblue's '03 white M5, EMPEROR's '03 silver M5 (with motatti's cool black annodized track wheels!), rhfong1's '01 dakar yellow M5, and my '03 sterling grey. The five of us were fortunate to get a choice spot in the front of the lot right next to the evosport cars and some classic 2002s and 3.0cs -- long story, but thanks to EMPEROR for helping us pull this one off!

I enjoyed getting to meet others too, including atomic80 and Ocean's M5. It's great to put a face with a name. Thanks again to EMPEROR and Keith for coordinating the caravan down.

Attachments

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I took a TON of pictures of this event! I'm going to try and upload the ones from the Bimmerfest event tonight if I can. You guys will be the first to see them. Including more S3 shots too. :D

I only wish that I could have gotten a chance to meet more M5board members.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The last event of Bimmerfest is a road rally caravan of BMWs north up Highway 101 about 40 miles to Highway 154, and then down 154 (winding San Marcos Pass, near Lake Cachuma) 30 miles back to Santa Barbara. There were about 300 cars that participated. I had to head home, but stopped at a rest area on Highway 154 with several other Bimmers and waited for the caravan to come by. What a sight...especially the faces of those random non-BMWs that got stuck in the middle or the back of the caravan!

Attached are two pics of the caravan, although it is hard to capture what it is really like to watch that many Bimmers go by...

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
nice pictures guys! I was with the norcal caravan in the white 540. What a blast! atomic80 and vancooper were crazy in their mini's...those cars were QUICK! heres a pic I took down at gilroy, my 540 is there, emperors car is next to mine.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts