BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If my rear shocks are problematic with the Eibach setup I may consider a Pss9 kit are there any specs on spring rates / ride height adjustability etc ?

Views of this kit in an M5 ?

Tks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,998 Posts
Carrera2RS said:
If my rear shocks are problematic with the Eibach setup I may consider a Pss9 kit are there any specs on spring rates / ride height adjustability etc ?

Views of this kit in an M5 ?

Tks

Ive been trying to get answers on these things for awhile I dont' think (or at least) nobody has them or steped up yet to say they have them on here.

What I have found elsewhere...is they are the same for the m5 as they are for the 540i..drop range is 1/2 inch to 2" which in my understanding is based off of the 540 then as a result. No spring rates but 9 way adjustable shocks for both rebound and compression via one knob...I too want to go this way but woun't do any more suspention mods till summer.


ONe thing about your noise...I had coilovers on another car that did that and it was metel on metel rubbing, check for that...I also saw a porsche owner that had the pss9's that complained about the same thing and found it was due to to much negitive camber (I forget what else he said)...but that may be somthing to check.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,998 Posts
Carrera2RS said:
J


Tks, the Eibachs, KWs and a few others are also coilovers like the Bilsteins, I too would love to find out more.....
O yeah I know :) If the pss9's end up not being good ( can't see why) then my back up plan is the kw's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
I have had mine on for a little over a week now and love them. I was able to get about 1 1/2" lowering front and rear. I put the perch at Bilstein's (noted) lowest setting. There was still way more threads left on the body, but I followed the instructions. The only thing I might change is the dampening which I currently have at 2 (1 click off the stiffest).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
The only thing I might change is the dampening which I currently have at 2 (1 click off the stiffest).<!-- / message -->
Which way are you going to go? Stiffer or less stiff?? How's the ride?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
If anything I might go a few clicks to the softer side. I think it would be fine were it is at if the roads were not so tore up. I will try and take a couple of pics today and also list the measurement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IS COURTESY OF A BILSTEIN MANAGER:

I read the test report and I can relay my interpretation of the comments. The kit has 30/35mm ride height reduction max. and moderately higher spring rates. The dampers are 9-way adjustable and exhibit a wide range of dynamic response characteristics to the suspension inputs. The softest setting (#9) does give the car a comparable feel to “stock”, yet the higher spring rates, and their effects, are noticeable over high speed inputs. The middle settings still produce a very comfortable ride yet control the increased spring rates far better. Fully closing the bypass (#1) adjustments further improves the cars track-ability and control at speeds. The ride is compromised moderately due to the increase in rebound-resistance, slowing the cars jounce response. With the kit installed, the most notable improvement was the substantial reduction in the cars pitch and roll characteristics that were prevalent in stock form. This was true regardless of the damper settings.

JIM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
The Bilsteins sound good.

Is there any way to devise a rod or access point that can provide tuning access for the rear shocks through the rear deck behind therear seats? It seems crazy to have to pull out the rear seats to simply make a damper adjustment. Or don't you have to?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Wrightsville Beast said:
The Bilsteins sound good.

Is there any way to devise a rod or access point that can provide tuning access for the rear shocks through the rear deck behind therear seats? It seems crazy to have to pull out the rear seats to simply make a damper adjustment. Or don't you have to?
I (believe) that seat removal is for installation only.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,998 Posts
Last I knew the damping adjustments are on the bottom of the rear shocks, so you crawl under or lift the car.


I can't wait for pics...Do you have pics off the car as well?...I too would like the measurements carrera asked for...Did you reuse the stock upper mounts? Can you go more indepth for ride and handling feelings you have?

Lastly where did you get them? I found them on shox.com for 1500 did you beat that deal?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,998 Posts
hello? anyword? bump bump :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Jayson said:
hello? anyword? bump bump :)
Jayson,

I'm still considering the options, but I do know that they're about the same as H&R. The letter I posted came through a friend who is involved in motorsports and made the inquiry to his contact at Bilstein. The only price I checked was Turner Motorsports, and yours was better. You can view my car and see tht it is still at stock height. The car's tucked away till Spring and I'll get more serious then.

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,515 Posts
jvo said:
Jayson,

I'm still considering the options, but I do know that they're about the same as H&R. Jim
H&R uses a highly progressive barrel spring that restricts wheel sizes in the front. The H&R rear spring is a highly progressive spring that sees coil bind in normal operation. H&R is all about lowered street ride looks, except for the fact that lowering in the front is a problem with certain wheels and tires.

The PSS9 spring rates are nearly linear & all about track-capability...much like Ground Control. Their rear springs are identical to the GC setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Lscman said:
H&R uses a highly progressive barrel spring that restricts wheel sizes in the front. The H&R rear spring is a highly progressive spring that sees coil bind in normal operation. H&R is all about lowered street ride looks, except for the fact that lowering in the front is a problem with certain wheels and tires.

The PSS9 spring rates are nearly linear & all about track-capability...much like Ground Control. Their rear springs are identical to the GC setup.
I guess that I wasn't very clear in my post. I was referring to the price being (somewhat) the same as H&R. I appreciate you input, as it is my intention to make a change only if I can enhance the car's track manners. Slightly lowered at both ends looks great, but secondary to improved handling.

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,515 Posts
Anyone want to comment on PSS9 (for E39 V8) tire sidewall clearance issues with oversize front wheels????

It appears to me that the new PSS9 setup is designed to barely clear a 245 or 255 tire on a stock 8" wheel. This was almost expected because the tender springs result in a longer spring system compared to GC. It appears 9.5" OEM wheels on the front will preclude use of PSS9.

Here's a 5er pic:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,998 Posts
Lscman said:
Anyone want to comment on PSS9 (for E39 V8) tire sidewall clearance issues with oversize front wheels????

It appears to me that the new PSS9 setup is designed to barely clear a 245 or 255 tire on a stock 8" wheel. This was almost expected because the tender springs result in a longer spring system compared to GC. It appears 9.5" OEM wheels on the front will preclude use of PSS9.

Here's a 5er pic:
where did you get that pic from?
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top