Installation also included:
All OE hardware not included in PSS9 Kit
Front + Rear control/toe/link arms
Swaybar bushings, links, and brackets f+r
Rotors + pads f+r

Height settings:
Front: 290mm
Rear: 290mm

Recently they development the infamous clunk at slow speeds (<20mph), and approximately 2 weeks ago it became so loud I thought my front end was going to fall off on the way home. Well 20 mins to lift the car up and it turns out 90% of the noise was coming from the headlight leveling arm ...hmmm... the nut had come lose and was causing a horrible noise, so tightening it back up literally fixed it.

Now I want to make sure that there isn't anything else I should look at or do other than the

Thrust/Needle Bearing
[1] http://www.timken.com/en-us/products/Documents/Timken-Thrust-and-Plain-Bearings-Catalog.pdf
[2] Clunking Damptronics FIXED *DIY* - 6speedonline.com Forums

or

Hyperco Perches [hyperco has a video that will better describe the issue for those of you unfamiliar w/ it]
[1] Hyperco / ICP Hydraulic Spring Perches

Things checked so far based on online information:
-Front Rotors + Pads clunking
-Lose bolts
-swaybar link washers
-Strut top washer (was there from day one w/ the kit)

Obviously I can call Bilstein but taking off the front setup to send off to them is not exactly ideal

My time frame for the thrust/needle bearings is Dec-Jan, so any advice on what else to do would be great. I was kindly suggested to swap around the helper springs w/ the main spring and I foolishly brushed it off, thinking back it make sense that the coil would rock at the top vs the bottom and the helper spring would help dampen the noise. Otherwise the noise is just so annoying i'll switch to Dinan Stage 1.

Also, I would like to delete my headlight leveling sensor in the front (and rear}, especially if the lowered ride will continue to cause the nut to come off or even break the arm. Will simply leaving the sensor housing with the arm unfastened [fixed] work or will the lights just aim awkwardly each start-up.

P.S.
-any source for parts would be appreciated

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Have you refreshed your steering linkages? I fixed a horrendous clunking-when-hot symptom after replacing all the steering pieces. The headlight height end link isn't crucial as long as you fix the plastic sensor swing arm in place.:M5eyes:

Attachments

Reactions: JohnAnthony

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
You need to replace the center drag link, as that's the one causing the noise. I jus did the whole lot for peace of mind.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've had bad luck with bilsteins in the past. I've had HD's fail on Audi and Volvo applications. ( internal strut failure, threads stripping and having the strut come apart on the road, seizing in the extended position, etc ). You may have to take it all apart to do a real diagnosis. I had one fail right out of the box. I never left the parking lot of the installation shop.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
very late update
so the light levelsensor link was shot, so the drop on bilsteins and even when fastened tight it made an insane amount of noise

new link = zero noise

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
What were the physical symptoms of the failed sensor link once you looked at it?

·
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What were the physical symptoms of the failed sensor link once you looked at it?
i think you could feel certain manipulation through the steering wheel, but for the most part the noise shows up Under 20mph

the part works just like a sway bar link
it has two ball joints on each end, so the rubber on the ball joints gave way after 10+ years and then the the drop from stock ride height only made it worse

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts