BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m writing this a little earlier than I wanted to because there has been more and more people wanting to hear about the coilovers, I wanted to wait about another week so I had some time to play with them but anyway here goes.

The layout:

New things added:

Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers
Stoptech 4wheel bbk- with 2 piston rear calipers

Things already on; that play into these things.

Eibach F&R sway bars (28mm and 18mm)
Dinan Brake cooling ducts
Motul 600 fluid (this was reflushed afterwards)

Pictures
of the parts them selfs are on my website here : http://www.cardomain.com/ride/407238/10

The finished pics are with my mechanic, and I will post them later.

Ok so for the Bilstein PSS9:

I bought them on bavauto.com for $1699 plus shipping that price went up right after I did that to $1999 I think, but http://www.shox.com/ has them for $1899..

Things you should know, they have 9 “firmness or softness settings” Meaning rebound and compression adjustment via one knob…1 is soft and 9 is hard…Mine are set of 5 for now. These knobs are not easy to get to with the factory wheels, you would have to lift the car and crawl under it. Height is at 14” front and 13.5” rear measured from the center of the BMW logo on the factory wheels to the fender edge. Tire pressure started at 38psi and I have now dropped it to 35psi. The car of course looks great much more aggressive without being to low…I can still go over most things without worry…same as before…One exception would be the railroad tracks by my house, I have had to slow a bit more over them as the back wants to hop over them…slow meaning 20 mph instead of 35 mph….

The ride is nice, very good I say within 9/10ths of the way the car rode before. If you went to test-drive the car like this from the factory it would not bother you. You can still put your great granny in the car without her complaining any more than she would have before.

Handling:
The car handles better, it’s funny it’s not like an OMG it’s different, more like hmmm that’s nice, different. It’s flatter with around town travel and more enjoyable as a result. The plow that was present before is about 90 percent gone. The extremes from under and oversteer are gone as well, Much more neutral. The tendacy is still toward under steer just not extreme, the back end follows nice but could be better. Now when you push it what happens?…Well I can’t speak for the track because I Haven’t taken it there, but on back roads without incriminating my self you can double and triple speeds in corners. This is a very good street setup.

Track: Like I said I can’t say for sure but here is what I feel it would do. I don’t’ think this is a great track car to begin with, but I understand why you’d want to take it, if you want extreme just buy a GT3. With this though you would need to set the coilovers on setting 8 without a doubt, now I haven’t tried this yet, but I can guess pretty well that would make it much flatter and stiffer and probably not good for bad roads around town as it would get choppy. But I do think it would do very well for what the car is.

Overall: I’m happy, I want to raise the rear a little bit maybe a ¼” and try setting 6 I’m a bit more extreme so I can take a bit more, for people looking to get the softer ride you probably want settings 4 and 5. I can’t see going past setting 6 right now, but if you are real extreme maybe. Worth the price I paid and the prices they are getting now, Very high quality.

Suggestion
: If you have not done the sway bars, try this without changing them. If you have the dinan rear bar and not the front stick with that. It’s not that the front is bad or makes it bad, just that I think the rear would follow more with the bigger rear bar.

If anybody wants to give me a scenario I could give you either a educated guess or my experiences with it.

Now the Brakes:

Stoptech 14” front and 13.6” rear rotors (rear rotors are from Brembo), along with 2 piston caliper rears. Drilled rotors red calipers stainless lines, and fresh Motul fluid. These are very beautiful. It’s a shame they are hidden behind the wheels, and the pictures do them no justice at all. Also the calipers have about 2 business cards worth of space between them and the inside of the wheel, not the spokes but the inside, if there was a weight there it would not clear.

When I picked up the car I took it out for a test drive before paying and leaving. I came back and the brakes where poring smoke. I didn’t get on them hard I knew I had to bed them in and get um going before doing that, so I was freaked by this. We checked everything out and everything looked good, fluid had risen a little bit so we removed a little of it, it was past max. It was very hot out I was reading around 105 f on the internal gauge and a/c was at max.

Last night after about 200 miles on the brakes I went out to bed them in. At this point it was around 80 degrees. I followed the directions almost to perfection (it is a public road so I didn’t want to freak anybody) but I was doing around 60-15ish mph near stops I did about 10 of those and I coasted to a red light, and I can smell things cooking now, and begin to see some more smoke. Having read the bed in instructions it freaks me less now, and I get rolling at 50 mph for about 8 min to cool them off, check things out again and it’s all good. I let them cool some more for about another 5 min and bed them again, this time about 8 stops like listed above. Then hit the highway to cool them some more, this time at 60mph for 20 min, and then go home.

How do they feel: I took the car out today and the brakes feel very stock, I find this odd since everybody that has the front kit talks about how good they feel, real strong and all. Not for me they feel soft like the stockers do.

So I take the car back out to try to rebed them yet again. This time I get stops from 80mph and 90mph down to 15mph. I do about 8-10 of them in short duration. Let them cool and then do it again, let them cool and do it again…I’m sure you can see I want to make sure they are right…after some more cool down time, I bring the car home to sit and rest and check the fluid. The fluid looks good just a touch below max.

The brakes are still pretty soft, no better than factory for sure. I don’t’ know if something is wrong, if it’s air in the lines or what, but I am disappointed. I’m going to email Dave Z later and see what he thinks, or if he sees this let him talk on it, either way. But for now I am disappointed. I will call the brake review incomplete till I talk to Dave and see what he thinks.

Ironically I have felt them go stiff while bedding them in, usually on the 3rd time, then around the 6th they start to fade. When they did get stiff, they felt great though.

Questions?

Added Tech data

Front springs:

Mainspring:
characteristic lineare
outer diameter 85mm
wire diameter 11,75
untensioned length 180
number of coils 7,0

Helperspring:
charecteristic lineare

OD. 81mm
wire diameter 9,5 x4.8
untensioned length 85
number of coils 6.0

REAR:

characteristic progressive
outer diameter 103mm
wire diameter 12,0
untensioned lenght 334
number of coils 10,5

Damping charcteristic adjustable

(all right from the book)

maximum lowering is 50mm

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Good review.

I have the Brembos on mine and I did not notice any stellar braking difference over stock. I have not tracked the car but the previousowner did so there is where they may excel. I have stainless brakelines and super blue fluids.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want to add a little more.

Ive been in a ferrari 575, and the M5's handling now reminds me very much of that, with less body roll though.

What i'm looking for in the brakes is the same feeling my 13" ap racing brakes with 4 piston calipers in the front only, did for my other car: thats a nice firm confident pedel and solid stoping.

These stoptechs are very well balanced not much nose dive, of course I can't tell of much is that and how much is the car being 1/2 inch lower with tighter springs. I didn't expect a huge drop in stoping distance under 60, but I do exepect a much better pedel feel, since thats all anybody can talk about with them. I do know brembo is known for not having that pedel feel.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Jayson:

Nice work on your Suspension and the Review ... Although the Brake portion is incomplete.

You never mention What Brake Pads you settled on? I bet that will be Dave Z FIRST question to you ... WhAT PADS do you have? My guess ... That's where the rub is!

I've been riding on Koni's Sports (Dinan StageIII) Suspension for 2.5 years in it's firmest setting. When I first got my car back after the install ... It was Night and DAY. I also have the Front and Rear Shock & Strut Support and I have ONLY the REAR Sway bar.

I look forward to hearing MORE from you ... and of course what DAVE Z has to say.

Nice Work.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPdate:

I added the tech data for techy guru's that want to see it at the bottom of the orginal post.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gra8fuldd ed said:
Jayson:

Nice work on your Suspension and the Review ... Although the Brake portion is incomplete.

You never mention What Brake Pads you settled on? I bet that will be Dave Z FIRST question to you ... WhAT PADS do you have? My guess ... That's where the rub is!

I've been riding on Koni's Sports (Dinan StageIII) Suspension for 2.5 years in it's firmest setting. When I first got my car back after the install ... It was Night and DAY. I also have the Front and Rear Shock & Strut Support and I have ONLY the REAR Sway bar.

I look forward to hearing MORE from you ... and of course what DAVE Z has to say.

Nice Work.

I didn't mention the pads because they come as part of the kit, along with stainless lines, so dave knows what pads are on it, they are axis ultimate pads.

I'm not sure what you mean by Rub though?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for the review regarding the PSS9'S

Did you alter the height when you put them on or did you just leave it standard(I.e the way they came out the box:confused2)

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Jayson,

Thanks for the review buddy, On ride heights, my car runs 13.5 F and 13.0R and I love the look, not slammed but noticeably lower than stock, regarding the Billie set up what ride height adjustablility is there ?

Could you drop it another 1/2 " if you wanted to ?

I'm very tempted !

A

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Jayson said:
I didn't mention the pads because they come as part of the kit, along with stainless lines, so dave knows what pads are on it, they are axis ultimate pads.

I'm not sure what you mean by Rub though?
When I "RUB" in that context ... I mean that the pads probably have something to do with your indigestion about the way the brakes feel.

I've driven a couple of my friends M5's that have the same Brembo kit as you do and I almost put myself thru the windshield. It was unbelievable stopping power!

Good luck ... Hope that helped clear up any misunderstanding.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
big fra said:
Thanks for the review regarding the PSS9'S

Did you alter the height when you put them on or did you just leave it standard(I.e the way they came out the box:confused2)

Yes it was adjusted from the way it came out of the box.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Carrera2RS said:
Jayson,

Thanks for the review buddy, On ride heights, my car runs 13.5 F and 13.0R and I love the look, not slammed but noticeably lower than stock, regarding the Billie set up what ride height adjustablility is there ?

Could you drop it another 1/2 " if you wanted to ?

I'm very tempted !

A
Pretty good adjustability down to 50mm drop, you could go another inch or more. Not sure I would but you could. I'm not sure how you run 13" on the rear, at 13.5 on mine it's flush with the wheel, I would think if you had one fat friend sit in the back all you would get is tire scrub on bumps :1:

This is a very nice setup, I can't compare it to your eibach setup, but I do have a good bit of exeperience with eibach springs, both are high quality. If you want you can give me a seniro and I try and compare in terms of how each setup would react.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Small update on the brakes, after talking with Dave Z we both agree the brakes should be rebleed and see what happens.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Carrera2RS said:
Any piccies ?

The pics of the parts them selves are on my website and the link is at the top, the finished pics are with my mechanic, I waiting for him to either burn them to cd or email them.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Jayson said:
Things already on; that play into these things.

...Dinan Brake cooling ducts
Jayson,

What exactly comes with the Dinan brake kit? Do they provide a new lower center grill like the AA setup? Thanks for your PSS9 review!

EDIT: Nevermind...I did a search

Chuck

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.