BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the PSS9s installed on my 02 this past weekend. It took the shop all day Saturday to perform the work. I did not get the car back until it was dark and I was unable to hit the twisties on Sunday due to prior engangements. Therefore, my review today will focus on two things: 1) aesthetics; and 2) freeway and city ride quality.

1) Aesthetics. First and foremost, the car now looks proper. Since purchasing the vehicle in June 05, I have been slightly "bothered" by the fender gap. The PSS9s obviously solved this problem. There is no fender gap left and the car sits very nicely.

2) Ride quality. Since I've only driven a handful of miles with the coilovers, I cannot give a true review. My initial impression is that the car still has great ride quality. It is firm, no doubt, but it is not jarring. I have it set at 5 and it seems to be working great. There is definately more "feel" when it comes to ruts and expansion joints, but the ride quality is still very acceptable! Turns are definately flat with no lean. I am interested to see how it handles switchbacks and chicanes (should be nice).

Overall, I am very pleased with this mod. I will try to hit some twisties tomorrow after work (going to the dodger game tonight) and give you a full report of how the vehicle feels in the turns. Photos are also forthcoming.

BTW, during the installation, my mechanic discovered that my rear sway bar bracket was broken. I know that this is a common issue, but I thought it was limited to people running aftermarket sway bars with the stock brackets. Has anyone heard of this occuring with the stock sway bar? At any rate, I will be replacing both the front and rear bars with aftermarket units. Any opinion on brands? I hear that a front and rear eibach set costs as much as a single rear dinan bar.

·
Registered
12,929 Posts
Ag Surfer said:
I had the PSS9s installed on my 02 this past weekend. It took the shop all day Saturday to perform the work. I did not get the car back until it was dark and I was unable to hit the twisties on Sunday due to prior engangements. Therefore, my review today will focus on two things: 1) aesthetics; and 2) freeway and city ride quality.

1) Aesthetics. First and foremost, the car now looks proper. Since purchasing the vehicle in June 05, I have been slightly "bothered" by the fender gap. The PSS9s obviously solved this problem. There is no fender gap left and the car sits very nicely.

2) Ride quality. Since I've only driven a handful of miles with the coilovers, I cannot give a true review. My initial impression is that the car still has great ride quality. It is firm, no doubt, but it is not jarring. I have it set at 5 and it seems to be working great. There is definately more "feel" when it comes to ruts and expansion joints, but the ride quality is still very acceptable! Turns are definately flat with no lean. I am interested to see how it handles switchbacks and chicanes (should be nice).

Overall, I am very pleased with this mod. I will try to hit some twisties tomorrow after work (going to the dodger game tonight) and give you a full report of how the vehicle feels in the turns. Photos are also forthcoming.

BTW, during the installation, my mechanic discovered that my rear sway bar bracket was broken. I know that this is a common issue, but I thought it was limited to people running aftermarket sway bars with the stock brackets. Has anyone heard of this occuring with the stock sway bar? At any rate, I will be replacing both the front and rear bars with aftermarket units. Any opinion on brands? I hear that a front and rear eibach set costs as much as a single rear dinan bar.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you still need bigger bars with the coil overs? If it is just broken brackets, there are a couple of aftermarket alternatives.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
837 Posts
Thanks for the review keep us posted as you break them in, josh

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,318 Posts
Since your car was lowered, you should look into having your rear fenders rolled. I had this done when I put in the Dinan suspension system.

Thank you for the comprehensive review!

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Good to hear, my are on their way but backordered so they may not show up till next week :(

Atomic: The only reason to roll the fenders is if the tires are scrubbing and if thats not hapning no reason to do it.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,318 Posts
Jayson, I had mine rolled as a precaution. I'm glad I did, the suspension will eventually settle down after a while.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jerry - dont "need" bigger sway bars, but while i'm replacing the bracket, I might as well upgrade.

Josh - I will definately keep you guys posted.

Jason - No issues with tires rubbing the fenders so I dont think that will be a problem. I am running basically the OEM tire specs, even though they are 19's.

Jayson - Let me know when you get them on so we can compare notes.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Ag Surfer said:
Jerry - dont "need" bigger sway bars, but while i'm replacing the bracket, I might as well upgrade.

Josh - I will definately keep you guys posted.

Jason - No issues with tires rubbing the fenders so I dont think that will be a problem. I am running basically the OEM tire specs, even though they are 19's.

Jayson - Let me know when you get them on so we can compare notes.
Will do.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Beastpower has some really good aftermarket almost indestructable sway bar brakets. Give them an email or something to get more info on it.
It is common to break the brakets even with a stock sway bar. I broke them on my stock 528, and that thing didnt generate the cornering forces that an M5 does. Drifting the car probably didnt help them out any, but it just goes to show that it is a weak part, even on the base model.
:cheers:

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
To my surprise my PSS9's came today, even though just a few days ago they where backordered. 2morro, i will talk to my mechanic to set up a day to install them and post my own reveiw later. I also already have the eibach sway bars so it will be nice to compare.

Very nice unit in person, I will take pics and post them to my website and then link it. Also got them for the cheap price of $1699 from Bavauto.com, and noticed 1 day later they bumped the price so I think sombody forgot the price changed :) But it worked in my favor so I'm happy :) :cheers:

Btw: Ag Surfer when yours came did they have a blue cap over the front damping adjustment knob?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jayson: I don't recall whether or not there was a blue cap. However, I didn't inspect the coilovers; just a quick glance while they were still in the box.

Continued impression: Love the set up! I've only had two occassions to test it out, both on public roads (sunset and mulholland). Obviously, you can't (shouldn't) push the car on the street, so again this review is limited in that regard. With that said, Sunset offers a nice variety of medium to high speed corners and Mullholand (Drive not Highway) offers tight 2d gear corners. On both roads, the car felt great. The one thing I noticed that I really like is that the car is much better in the transitions. It stays well composed going from left to right or right to left. It's nearly flat. You dont have to wait for the suspension to "load" during a turn anymore... it feels always ready to go. Overall, I'm very impressed.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Ag Surfer;
Re the sway bars, what does the DSS9 dealer recommend? Spring rates, shock rates, and sway bar size need to match for the best ride/handling combination. I've heard with higher rate springs, you may need less sway bar. Too much and the car will be harder to control on rough roads at the limit. It also depends on your wants regarding ride vs handling, and street vs track.

PS, my M5 suspension is stock except for a Dinan rear sway bar. If the review of the DSS9 turns out good all lround, I may consider them. A good feature of the Dinan sway bar is the adjustability to dial in as much oversteer as you want/need. FYI, I broke both rear sway bar brackets at different times while still on the stock sway bar. I did track the car twice up to that point. My replacements have re-inforcement plates and have lasted so far.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Richard in NC said:
Ag Surfer;
Re the sway bars, what does the DSS9 dealer recommend? Spring rates, shock rates, and sway bar size need to match for the best ride/handling combination. I've heard with higher rate springs, you may need less sway bar. Too much and the car will be harder to control on rough roads at the limit. It also depends on your wants regarding ride vs handling, and street vs track.

PS, my M5 suspension is stock except for a Dinan rear sway bar. If the review of the DSS9 turns out good all lround, I may consider them. A good feature of the Dinan sway bar is the adjustability to dial in as much oversteer as you want/need. FYI, I broke both rear sway bar brackets at different times while still on the stock sway bar. I did track the car twice up to that point. My replacements have re-inforcement plates and have lasted so far.
Bilstein does not say anything about sway bars thats not what they do, but I woun't worry the eibach and dinan bar(s) will not affect it negitivly essp since you have 9 valve settings. You are right though that extream changes in sway bar size can affect handling but the increase is not that much. Also It's PSS9 not Dss9, stands for performance suspention system 9 valveing adjustments. which allows you to tailor the car from soft to hard.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
It seems the Dinan adjustable rear swaybar is all you need. While having that put in, upgrade your brackets to the BeastPower units. However, with your coilovers, that addition may not be necessary.

Broken brackets with a stock bar is very common.

Travis

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
atomic80 said:
Since your car was lowered, you should look into having your rear fenders rolled. I had this done when I put in the Dinan suspension system.

Thank you for the comprehensive review!
Please clarify this for me. I thought the M5 fenders are rolled from the factory. My 530 clearly did not have rolled fenders; my stock M5 has flush fenders behind the wheel well.

Perhaps I don't understand what rolled fenders really are?

Thanks.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,318 Posts
Kevin,

If you feel along the edges of the fenders, you can feel the "rolled" metal folding from the outside to the inside. When I had mine rolled, they just compressed this "rolled" lip so that it lies flat against the inside of the fender. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ag Surfer said:
.........BTW, during the installation, my mechanic discovered that my rear sway bar bracket was broken. I know that this is a common issue, but I thought it was limited to people running aftermarket sway bars with the stock brackets. Has anyone heard of this occuring with the stock sway bar? At any rate, I will be replacing both the front and rear bars with aftermarket units. Any opinion on brands? I hear that a front and rear eibach set costs as much as a single rear dinan bar.
First, grats with PSS9!!

My bracket broke on an original sway bar, the workshop said that they've seen that before, and their opinion where that the aluminum brackets where not strong enough, and said that I should get some steel ones if it happend again. It's still fine aftet the replacement, so i'll guess(hope) they'll hold.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Both of my rear brackets were broken. I put the Rogue one son. end of problem.

Hope the guy that makes these brackets doesn't get transferred to the con rod shop at BMW......

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
What ride height levels did you settle on using? (center of wheel to fender lip, front and back). Can you obtain close to stock ride height levels if you want to?

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
atomic80 said:
Kevin,

If you feel along the edges of the fenders, you can feel the "rolled" metal folding from the outside to the inside. When I had mine rolled, they just compressed this "rolled" lip so that it lies flat against the inside of the fender. Hope that makes sense.
Thanks. Your description is what I thought rolled fenders are. When I was washing my M5 I distinctly took note that the rear fenders already felt rolled - that is to say, the inside metal was flush against the fender. This was of course not the case in my 530. I know my car is stock - it is an '02. I'll check again, but perhaps this was done at the factory during certain production years?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts