BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have a set of PSS not installed that can get me some quick measurements? looking for the inner/outer diameter and the length of the front and rear springs, also need to know the spring rate. thanks.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
in case anyone needs the info in the future,

front

rate 515lb linear, helper spring 115lb
inside diameter 61.5mm
outside diameter 85mm
free length 7in(main)

rear

rate 290lb linear

top inside diameter 79.5mm/outside 113mm
the spring tapers at the bottom to,
inside diameter 65mm/outside 85mm
free length 13in

·
Registered
185 Posts
The rears are definitely not linear on my kit (bought late last year), they are a progressive spring with no helper....

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah idk the book that comes with the kit lists the rears as progressive. but i spoke to a guy at bilstein who gave me the rest of the specs not listed in the book and he said the rears are linear.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
reason i was looking for the info is i wanted to see if there were softer springs available that will fit the struts. i like the way the coilovers perform but after running them for a year on the pothole ridden roads around here i would like to soften the ride up a bit. not much, just take the edge off a bit. seems odd to me that for a car that is supposedly balanced close to 50/50 weight distribution they are running around a 600lb spring in the front and less than half that in the rear. i'm by far no suspension expert and there may be a good reason why but it just seems odd to me. i spoke to a few places that deal with springs/suspensions and they all said in their opinion the front springs seem a bit too stiff. i have a set of softer springs on the way for the front. there is nothing available for the rears due to the tapered design.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My rears are the same as these (which are Macca's), which you can see are progressive but I have seen other pictures where they appear to be linear. Could it be one spec kit for Europe and another for North America? That was the case with the E30 m3.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts