BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed bilstein PSS a couple days ago on my 02 M5.

My stock suspension was very tired being that it had 135k miles on the original shocks.

I ordered the bilstein PSS kit from tire rack for $1005. That is a spectacular price for a height adjustable coilover setup.

I installed the other day and I have to say that these are absolutely perfect. The ride is no more harsh than stock, only a little bit firmer. When I had left the spring perches where they were set from the factory the car was entirely too low. I suspect that those who have complained about the ride had the car slammed on the bumpstops. No shock and no spring will facilitate a good ride when sitting on the bumpstops. I raised the car about 1" higher than the initial settings and now it sits about perfect.

The car is definitely lowered compared to stock, but not overly so.

The ride is compliant and smooth, but still tighter and more controlled than my worn out stock suspension. Anyone who says these are harsh either 1) is riding on the bumpstops or 2) is out of their mind. The ride really is no more harsh than stock.

These are an absolute bargain for $1k.

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
Does the car squat when accelerating and dive when braking?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9550/5.0.0.320 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Pics por favor.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9550/5.0.0.320 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Pics por favor.
+1.....

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
Compared to what?

It does not dive appreciably. But all cars dive, it's just a matter of how much.
Many coilovers (such as the PSS9 and Ground Control) greatly reduce the squat and dive. This is due to the damper adjustments, but I wanted to know how the Bilstein PSS compares.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
It looks like a lowered M5. :p
I get that, but I think what I and many others would like to know is how your car sits now that you made the adjustments to the ride height. In other words, with the better ride is the car still "low enough." If you're close to stock height to get the ride you want then it doesn't make sense to buy PPS, IMO.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have had the pss setup now for over 6 months, In my opinion they are stiff.
May be my powerflex bushings and eibach sways exasterbated this condition.
You can't beat the price though for a quality made in Germany product.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Many coilovers (such as the PSS9 and Ground Control) greatly reduce the squat and dive. This is due to the damper adjustments, but I wanted to know how the Bilstein PSS compares.
No, that would be due to the spring rates, not the shock adjustments. Squat and dive have been reduced.

I get that, but I think what I and many others would like to know is how your car sits now that you made the adjustments to the ride height. In other words, with the better ride is the car still "low enough." If you're close to stock height to get the ride you want then it doesn't make sense to buy PPS, IMO.
I think that the car is still "low enough" there is no mistaking that the car is significantly lowered. There is no confusing it with stock ride height.

I have had the pss setup now for over 6 months, In my opinion they are stiff.
May be my powerflex bushings and eibach sways exasterbated this condition.
You can't beat the price though for a quality made in Germany product.
How low is your car sitting? I think that's where you should look first and foremost. I can't imagine anyone calling this harsh when it's not sitting on the bumpstops. Do you want to measure your ride height and post it?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have driven Todd's car and it is definitely not harsh. The stock suspension in my M3 is harsher.

I have also driven an H&R coil over equipped M5 that was riding on the bumpstops and it was terrible. I have a feeling people complaining about the car being too harsh have possibly lowered it too far.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I have driven Todd's car and it is definitely not harsh. The stock suspension in my M3 is harsher.

I have also driven an H&R coil over equipped M5 that was riding on the bumpstops and it was terrible. I have a feeling people complaining about the car being too harsh have possibly lowered it too far.
Thanks for your feedback. It definitely makes me want to see pics even more now. :D

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Here it is, covered with snow and dirty.
Thanks Todd, you're the man. That looks like an awesome stance. I wouldn't want to go any lower than that. I really appreciate you taking your time to do this; I'm in limbo on suspension and was considering the BC's at around the same price point but I'd much rather have Bilstein quality.

Thanks again!

Tim

·
Registered
214 Posts
No, that would be due to the spring rates, not the shock adjustments. Squat and dive have been reduced.
This is not completely true. The shock can, if on a stiff setting, slow squat and dive effectively reducing it. This only really applies to transitory loads such as braking quickly or briefly getting on it. If you are slowing from 150mph to 0 you will produce the same dive regardless of the damper setting due to the continual load.

The main things that make a difference to dive and squat are the spring stiffness and suspension geometry - specifically the angle of the A arm.

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
Did you have to purchase the extra suspension consumables? I know that, with the PSS9s, you have to spend over $300 in OEM suspension bits to replace OEM parts while installing the new system.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Did you have to purchase the extra suspension consumables? I know that, with the PSS9s, you have to spend over $300 in OEM suspension bits to replace OEM parts while installing the new system.

To clarify

You don't have too purchase new suspensions part (i.e. mounting plate, etc) but it is recommended, especially if you already have high mileage on your current suspension.

The only part that you need to purchase is the rear upper spring pad of a 540i. (It's mentioned in the manual).

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
To clarify

You don't have too purchase new suspensions part (i.e. mounting plate, etc) but it is recommended, especially if you already have high mileage on your current suspension.

The only part that you need to purchase is the rear upper spring pad of a 540i. (It's mentioned in the manual).

Regardz,

J Irwan
Agreed but, if one is going to change the suspension, then might as well do it properly with fresh new parts.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't see a reason to replace the shock mounts unless the original parts are showing signs of wear.

Mine looked perfect so I did not replace them.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts