BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Bilstein B6 fronts - how are they aligned?

18K views 119 replies 10 participants last post by  NoVA8675309 
#1 ·
Seen a lot of good threads on how well these preform (particularly with K&R Sport springs, which I've got), but not much about the installation.

The original hardware has a notch in them, aligning them with the gap of the swivel bearing:

The swivel bearing has a notch in it to set a low limit of the same hardware:

Maybe I'll get some more clues when I take the original strut off and see if there are any similar markings between the old and the new that I couldn't otherwise see.

But, is there a proper installation or twist alignment the new strut should be installed with? The most information I can find about this is a sticker on the new struts. I'm not sure if it's an alignment guide or if it's just to indicate the strut is of universal fitment and it doesn't matter if they're installed on the left or the right sides:

Have you done this before? Got any tips?

See less See more
#110 ·
keep me posted on the B6's. I'm pondering if I should install some, but dont wanna go thru all that work if it turns out to be the same feel. Great looking M5!

#111 ·
I've had an awful experience with Bilstein's customer service tbh. At first it was fantastic and I even told them as much, bit towards the end I needed a part that was pictured in their product information and pictures, they basically washed their hands of the issue on account of "our German counterparts changed things".

I hate to put anyone on blast but it is what it is.

That being said, Bilstein is still THE brand, so I'll match the rear to the front when I dig in to that in a few weeks. For consistency, same application, same rated response/part etc, not to mention even OE struts are even more than the aftermarket options. Hopefully the rear won't take 5 months like the front did - many fewer moving parts and things to break in the process :)

And, thanks! Still got some cosmetic things I need to fix up but I wanted this to be mechanically reliable and performant first.

#112 ·
oh, I didnt catch that you haven't done the back yet. be sure to read my thread on this board about tips and tricks. I figured out how to get the swing arm back in with not too much trouble. yeah man, you definitely need to get that back tightened up. will make a huge difference.

#114 ·
did mine for 2180. That was all new nuts and bolts / hardware included. Only BMW or Lemforder used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.