BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Haha. Software bugs. I work for a company called Red Hat. Been working on a very high profile project and once in a while.... just gotta buckle down and get **** done, make a show out of it.
Know Red Hat, and well know the drill! Lots of 4am nights in my career. Kind of figured you were in that biz a while back.

·
Registered
88 Posts
So, what's the best way to route this EDC wire that protrudes from the underside of the shock, up to the EDC harness at the top inside the engine bay?
not sure what you are asking. If you are talking about wires that terminate into the shock or nearby there is usually a grommet on the wire that is inserted into a c-cup that is part of a metal peice attached to nearby in the area

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
OE shocks have the EDC connection at the top, the connection is the center of the top of the shock, goes up in to and through the tower.

The B6's have the wire on the bottom. I understand it's a matter of "just hooking it up to the original harness" but there's gotta be a smart way of running the cable up the shock. Particularly with how to run it inside of the engine bay back to the original connector.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I know my M6 has a similar setup, but never looked at how the EDC is routed. Here is a pic of my E60 wiring, ABS and brake lining sensor goes into this. is this what you are refering to? how about a pic? square box, upper left

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Oh I see what they did there. Theres no EDC connector in the connection box but i see about running the EDC wire along that same path. Looks like they went inside of the engine bay following that same route?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I see where the speed sensor and brake wear sensor tuck inside of the paneling. Haven't done much poking around but I reckon they go in to the engine bay and that's likely the same path I'll be following.

The rubber in the top mount of the strut assembly is shot. So, waiting on some more parts before I get too excites about wrapping this up :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
If I get my M6 up in the air I'll try to take a look. Its kind of been on the back burner lately while I'm fixing wife and daughters cars.

·
Registered
217 Posts
let us know if the shocks raise the car higher like it does for the 3 series, post a side by side with the OEM shocks! thank you!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Hi. Finally got some work done tonight. The images we've seen are great but when the spring rests in the correct orientation on top of the pad it's got a distinct "feel" to it. You can tell:

One more, for bonus points:

And one more, showing the proper preset 7° inward toe (this is right side):

This is just a mock. I'm waiting for new guide supports because the rubber in the old ones is shot. Then I'll compress and set properly.

Here's a tool I didn't know existed. It's to spread the carrier on the back:

Of course it wasn't quite wide enough when spread. I suspect the heavy paint from the new shocks. A hacksaw blade made a great shim for a smidge more space:

Next, to figure out how to route a new power steering expansion hose. I have a sneaky suspicion mine was damaged when I didn't move it out of the way enouh while dropping the subframe. It would suck to get everything back together only to find out I was squirting power steering fluid all over from the compromised compression. Buy once cry once, right?

Thanks again for all the help. Hope these pics and the discussion help others in the future.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
i’m guessing this it. comes out top shock housing
View attachment 938861
Sure, but the EDC wire on the B6's comes out the bottom.

I was just gonna go up through here:

Come out somewhere here:

And tie it in to the harness you pictured. I don't think these new ones are supposed to come up through top center like OE does.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
let us know if the shocks raise the car higher like it does for the 3 series, post a side by side with the OEM shocks! thank you!

It's a bad picture, I'm sorry, but I tried to orientate in the perspective of them both lining up to the swivel bearing. The B6 perch might be slightly higher than OE but not by much:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
i’m guessing this it. comes out top shock housing
View attachment 938861
Would you mind popping the cover off and showing the connector, and how it's tied in to the EDC wire - and from where? It would give me a better idea of where the EDC wire from the shock comes up and ties in to this particular part.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Would you mind popping the cover off and showing the connector, and how it's tied in to the EDC wire - and from where? It would give me a better idea of where the EDC wire from the shock comes up and ties in to this particular part.
Will give it a try. I'm pretty sure the EDC wire comes out the bottom on the factories too. I had the M6 up in the air about a month ago at that is what I recall, but wasnt looking that close. Was just cleaning up road dirt and giving the bottom side a once over. (just bought it in Feb). It can't see anything down there when the car is sitting on the ground. Have to at least pull a tire.

If you follow the wire north and then back south it leads to the wire harness (red arrow). I would think your car should have that black connector where the gap in the red line is at. BTW - I bought that same tool, didn't work, also bought more expensive version, ended up using tire iron - just about any strong tool you have laying around in the garage that you can get leverage with will work better.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts