BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - received my shock absorbers from the US and did the wiring but have a whole raft of error codes throw after the installation.

Intalled: Bilstein B16 (DampTronic) Front and Rear - 49-234923 from Bimmerworld (great service btw - no complaint there). I have a 2006 build.

My mechanic is Thai and he's sent me photos of the ISTA+ but it is in Thai so no point posting this photo.

I know the car has errors for the rain sensor that I can't get working. Clearing the codes doesn't stop them immediately popping up again.

following codes showing:

00CF12
00600A
S0155
00A4F9
S0166
00A3D0
00A8C5
00A3D0
00A8C5
00A8C4
00E518
00A8C4
00E518
00A8C4
00E518
00A46D
009C7B

Can anyone who's installed these shocks give me some advice? I don't want my mechanic doing anything further till I get a good sense what these errors are. I thought the suspension was plug and play...

Thanks in advance for the brains trust

·
2,847 Posts
The suspension is plug and play. Did he turn on the car with wires off? Make sure everything is hooked up properly then just reset codes and try again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The suspension is plug and play. Did he turn on the car with wires off? Make sure everything is hooked up properly then just reset codes and try again.
Ok will try again tomorrow to make sure he starts the car when all wires are connected and not just 'on' switch

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I have some bilstein and they just plugged in

·
Registered
231 Posts
That is a hell of a lot of error codes...sounds like the car is simply freaking out...definitely make sure everything is hooked up and connected, maybe pull the battery connections for 5 minutes, then try again.

Interested in hearing what you think of these after the install.

·
Registered
2006 M5
374 Posts
Post a pic of you EDC adapters. If they look anything like mine that's the problem and Bilstein can't get the correct ones because they're not working with the supplier that manufacturers the correct adapters any longer.
20201029_112646.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update. Success.

The mechanic was able to fashion the connectors correctly and get the shocks installed. The error codes were due to a faulty EDC module. We checked this by swapping one from a working M5. I ordered a unit from the US (1/3 the cost locally even after shipping and tax) and it was fitted on Saturday. All codes cleared and none came back. Happy days. 1st time since I've owned the vehicle (18 months now) that I've had not a single error. I nearly screamed when the fuel warning came on thinking I'd had another code come up!

Bilstein B16

I've not only 100km distance on them but my initial impression is stiffer than stock. I read that someone felt soft setting was too soft - its not for me. Soft isn't uncomfortably firm but I'd prefer it to be softer for Bangkok's roads but the plus side is firm is now extremely firm. I would think its stiffer than stock but it has been some time since I had working suspension. Its not "loosen your teeth filing" firm but I wouldn't want to drive around all day with it on firm setting. I could do so with the stock shocks but not this unit. Its enough that you notice it. Medium now feels like the previous stock firm setting (but my suspension was very badly worn due to Thai roads).

I'd happily take these to track for fun but its not club racing standard. That said, I'll take the car to get the 4 corners height and weight corrected this weekend. I wish I could adjust the dampening rate electronically on a range but for now I'm happy enough (My BMW S1000RR motorcycle could do just that)

VERDICT: Would I upgrade my stock to B16 Electronics 'just because'? Probably not. But if you're like me and the old suspension has too much movement, leaks or otherwise needs to be replaced then yes, they're a great alternative to stock. If you're ok with having a slightly firmer ride (which I am)

·
Registered
2006 M5
374 Posts
Update. Success.

The mechanic was able to fashion the connectors correctly and get the shocks installed. The error codes were due to a faulty EDC module. We checked this by swapping one from a working M5. I ordered a unit from the US (1/3 the cost locally even after shipping and tax) and it was fitted on Saturday. All codes cleared and none came back. Happy days. 1st time since I've owned the vehicle (18 months now) that I've had not a single error. I nearly screamed when the fuel warning came on thinking I'd had another code come up!

Bilstein B16

I've not only 100km distance on them but my initial impression is stiffer than stock. I read that someone felt soft setting was too soft - its not for me. Soft isn't uncomfortably firm but I'd prefer it to be softer for Bangkok's roads but the plus side is firm is now extremely firm. I would think its stiffer than stock but it has been some time since I had working suspension. Its not "loosen your teeth filing" firm but I wouldn't want to drive around all day with it on firm setting. I could do so with the stock shocks but not this unit. Its enough that you notice it. Medium now feels like the previous stock firm setting (but my suspension was very badly worn due to Thai roads).

I'd happily take these to track for fun but its not club racing standard. That said, I'll take the car to get the 4 corners height and weight corrected this weekend. I wish I could adjust the dampening rate electronically on a range but for now I'm happy enough (My BMW S1000RR motorcycle could do just that)

VERDICT: Would I upgrade my stock to B16 Electronics 'just because'? Probably not. But if you're like me and the old suspension has too much movement, leaks or otherwise needs to be replaced then yes, they're a great alternative to stock. If you're ok with having a slightly firmer ride (which I am)
So the mechanic spliced the Bilstein EDC adapter with the OEM EDC plug to get it to work, can you post a few pics on how he did it and what it looks like?

·
2,847 Posts
Post a pic of you EDC adapters. If they look anything like mine that's the problem and Bilstein can't get the correct ones because they're not working with the supplier that manufacturers the correct adapters any longer.
Not to sound obvious but your pic shows the protective cap on the connector. They're kind of unique so it took me a while to figure out they're just caps to be removed. I'll take a pic of my setup as well (stock wiring).

·
Registered
2006 M5
374 Posts
Yup that seems to be the only way to get B16s to work unless you can find used adapters somewhere, can't believe a huge company like Bilstein can't figure this out. I got 2k worth of new shocks and struts sitting in a box.

·
Premium Member
2008 E60 M5 Dinan S2+
428 Posts
Lol we've all been there. Good news!
bahahahahaha

1. low fuel warning
2. outside temp below 37 degrees warning

Whew...the hypertension that comes with the S85!!

·
Premium Member
2008 E60 M5 Dinan S2+
428 Posts
Yup that seems to be the only way to get B16s to work unless you can find used adapters somewhere, can't believe a huge company like Bilstein can't figure this out. I got 2k worth of new shocks and struts sitting in a box.
What else you got in that box D?

Reactions: NoVA8675309
1 - 16 of 16 Posts