BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with out changing the aspect ratios??
i got eibach springs and i wonder if i can do 295 or 305s /35 without ANY rubbing.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I have 295 on the rears and experience no rubbing. I however haven't lowered the beast yet but will sometime soon.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
If I do remember correctly there was someone on the board driving with 315...how is that possible if 305/35 isn´t?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
If I do remember correctly there was someone on the board driving with 315...how is that possible if 305/35 isn´t?
I also remember someone driving an E60 M5 with either 315s or 325s on the rear. Don't remember whether they were 19" or 20". Thought his member name was metalman, although I looked and didn't see anyone with that screen name and an E60.

If you want to run wider rear 19", question is how much are you will to spend to have the car run right?

I think "metalman" (or whatever his name was), had to modify the inner fender wells to reduce rubbing, which he said only happened with passengers aboard and dips in the road.

Custom offset wheels might also allow wider rear meats, although it might be a trial & error procedure. Anything tires wider than the stock 285s will require wider wheels. HRE rep told me they had fitted up to 11x19" wheels on the rear w/o problems and they thought I could run the 305s.

The Dinan rear springs actually raise the rear 1/4" over OE springs, don't think you could use any other aftermarket coils.

Reactions: M V10

·
Registered
499 Posts
Not only offset, but the way the car is aligned has a lot to do with rubbing, or not. You can play with the camber so that it doesn't rub the fenders, but then you'll have to go through rear tires every 3000 miles.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Not only offset, but the way the car is aligned has a lot to do with rubbing, or not. You can play with the camber so that it doesn't rub the fenders, but then you'll have to go through rear tires every 3000 miles.
Yes, alignment is another variable. Don't know if enough gross tire re-positioning is available to accomplish what johnsm5 has in mind.

Roundel article on Dinan's ubber E60 M5 mentioned changing front alignment specs to eliminate the center-of-steering dead spot, with dramatically reduced tire wear as a trade off.

darren_dallas - Does your current stroker beast have the modified alignment settings, and if so, are the trade-offs worth it? Were you running 305/35s on either of your beasts?

Back to the original question, you could put ZR1 or Viper rear tires on your beast, provided you were willing to widen the fenders. Similar situation with the front tires, with the tight strut clearance, wider fenders would be mandatory. The widest front tires that fit without fender modification are 275/35-19"s.

The attached photo provides an idea of the fender work.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
There are several issues here.
First, johnsm5 I love the BBS wheels on your M5. They are classic.

Now there is no such tire as a 305/35/19 and if there were it would be way too tall (27.4" rolling diameter) causing clearance issues.

You can not run a 325 tire without fenderwell modifications.

A 315/25/20 rear tire has been run without problem. The more common tire set up is 305/25/20 or 305/30/19. Their rolling diameters are 26.00" and 26.20" respectably.

And yes you can use aftermarket springs. I have been running H&R springs, lowered the car and absolutely no problems.

Rear wheel width should be 10.5" or 11" for our cars.

Personally I run HRE P40's with 305/25/20 rears and absolutely no problems.

Ranger

Reactions: M V10

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Now there is no such tire as a 305/35/19 and if there were it would be way too tall (27.4" rolling diameter) causing clearance issues.

A 315/25/20 rear tire has been run without problem. The more common tire set up is 305/25/20 or 305/30/19. Their rolling diameters are 26.00" and 26.20" respectably.

And yes you can use aftermarket springs. I have been running H&R springs, lowered the car and absolutely no problems.

Rear wheel width should be 10.5" or 11" for our cars.

Ranger
Yes, The BBS wheels are great looking.

PS2s are sold in 305/30ZR19". The OD is 26.3", 6/10th less than the 26.9" OD of the 285/35/19" PS2s. I believe the 285's OD has been changed, it used to be 26.7".

Running 275/35ZR19" front, would maintain the OE size variance between front and rear. The 275s have an OD of 26.7" vs 27.0" with the 255/40ZR19".

The rear 345/30ZR19" Viper PS2s have an OD of 27.2"

Tire Specs for Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

As typical with strut front and mutil-link rear suspensions, the rear will sag more when the car is loaded. Rubbing may or may not occur depending on vehicle weight and road conditions.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I'm running 295/30/19 at the rear, and until I changed them recently they were fine. NOw I'm having trouble with cruise control, from what I'm told if you want these sizes be prepared to lose use of cruise control!

·
Company Representative for Wheel Experts
298 Posts
Looks like the offset in rear is pretty conservative, so 305/30/19 will be fine. I do not know of a 305/35/19 but I could be wrong.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts