BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering which exhaust mod actually adds more power/torque? Replacing the mufflers or installing the SS X pipe? The stock mufflers seem to be a pretty straight thru design. No chambers. Has anyone actually dyno'd the SS Xpipe w/stock mufflers or the stock resonator pipe w/stock muffler for comparison? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Headers....

Other than that they are both about the same under 5hp.

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
i think the factory exhaust is pretty decent. Most dyno results are probably within range of dyno error. You might get a few hp from either. Interestingly, the stock section has a "H" crossover design, while supersprint uses an X. I'm about to put the factory resonators back in with dinan mufflers, at some point i'll try to dyno again just out of curiosity.
Mike

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
My guess (only a guess here) would be the exhaust due to lessening the flow restriction. If I remember the XPipe explanation it evens out the pulse of the exhaust down the pipe. Then again I may be totally wrong. That is just my reccollection.

·
Registered
13,011 Posts
///M5_Madman said:
I was wondering which exhaust mod actually adds more power/torque? Replacing the mufflers or installing the SS X pipe? The stock mufflers seem to be a pretty straight thru design. No chambers. Has anyone actually dyno'd the SS Xpipe w/stock mufflers or the stock resonator pipe w/stock muffler for comparison? Thanks.
Take a look at the supersprint info. I remember there was a claimed horsepower gain with racing cats and full exhaust with headers as opposed to just headers, but I didn't it was that large, and certainly nowhere near the horsepower per $$ you get with headers. I don't know anyone here who has added headers and regretted it. So if you are looking for horsepower, consider headers and the required ECU upgrade.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
But remember headers cost a TON of $$

My buddy Mike had them put on his M5 (which is now Ronnies) and he said he would not have spent the $$ to do it again for the gains he got.

Just passing it on as mine has headers, Xpipe and exhaust (which someone else paid for).

gsfent said:
Take a look at the supersprint info. I remember there was a claimed horsepower gain with racing cats and full exhaust with headers as opposed to just headers, but I didn't it was that large, and certainly nowhere near the horsepower per $$ you get with headers. I don't know anyone here who has added headers and regretted it. So if you are looking for horsepower, consider headers and the required ECU upgrade.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
13,011 Posts
Tim W said:
But remember headers cost a TON of $$

My buddy Mike had them put on his M5 (which is now Ronnies) and he said he would not have spent the $$ to do it again for the gains he got.

Just passing it on as mine has headers, Xpipe and exhaust (which someone else paid for).
Thanks for the data point. Headers are definitely more $$, figure $3k plus another $1k for ECU upgrade (not strictly necessary, but car will be lean without adjustment). Don't know the cost of X pipe or cans, but if you are lucky to get 5 horsepower I would be surprised.
When you measure hp per $$, headers still seems the best value, less that $150 per horsepower. So if X pipe or cans deliver 5 hp for around $750, then it is a wash, I just don't think you see much power gain by itself.
What is it your friend didn't like, certainly it couldn't have been the extra 30 or so ponies!! :biggrin: cherrsagai
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I don't think the money for the full Supersprint exhaust is very much. I think $8k installed. It gives you almost 40 crank h.p. or 30 to the wheels. Powerchip can even out the low end torque dip, and the upper end is seriously enhanced. People talk about 3.45 rear gears, SSK, overly lightened flywheels, and ram air nonsense, but this is a substantial mod. that actually works. You will get a car that pulls harder in a street race and you will feel it. Also, there is no need to mix and match pieces of the Supersprint exhaust, do the whole thing and be happy. I don't care about the sound of the exhaust, I want sure-fire performance and the full Supersprint package is one of the few packages out there that actually makes the M5 faster. Look at the guy who ran One Lap of America in '04 and '03. He cut 1/2 a second off of his 1/4-mile time mostly due to the full Supersprint exhaust.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
HBRAMSTEDT said:
I don't think the money for the full Supersprint exhaust is very much. I think $8k installed. It gives you almost 40 crank h.p. or 30 to the wheels. Powerchip can even out the low end torque dip, and the upper end is seriously enhanced. People talk about 3.45 rear gears, SSK, overly lightened flywheels, and ram air nonsense, but this is a substantial mod. that actually works. You will get a car that pulls harder in a street race and you will feel it. Also, there is no need to mix and match pieces of the Supersprint exhaust, do the whole thing and be happy. I don't care about the sound of the exhaust, I want sure-fire performance and the full Supersprint package is one of the few packages out there that actually makes the M5 faster. Look at the guy who ran One Lap of America in '04 and '03. He cut 1/2 a second off of his 1/4-mile time mostly due to the full Supersprint exhaust.

Its not near 8k for the supersprint. And can you give me a dyno that shows it makes 40hp. The guy that ran one lap of america had tons of stuff done more than just the supersprint exhaust.

·
Registered
13,011 Posts
Jayson said:
Its not near 8k for the supersprint. And can you give me a dyno that shows it makes 40hp. The guy that ran one lap of america had tons of stuff done more than just the supersprint exhaust.
Well, I think the high price of the cats makes it high, it might be close to $8k. $3k for headers, $300 for jet coat, exhaust pipes (don't remember $$$) and about $2k for cats IIRC, plus ECU upgrade if you have stock ($900), plus install of $500-$800.
I installed UD pulleys at the same time as my headers. My dyno improved 31 hp at the wheels. So you can give whatever credit is appropriate to the pulleys, but I think it is virtually all headers. Don't know if the pipes and cats would give you the missing 10, but it is not beyond the realm of possibility IMHO.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
48 Posts
In my opinion the mufflers are the best choice. I am currently running supersprint race mufflers, a diffsonline 3.62lsd, a stygar SSK, Rogue underdrive pullies, Powerchip software, AA CAI, and the UFC temp sensor.
I gotta say the car gets easy rubber going into 3rd and the clutch is holding strong.
The mufflers sound great and the car pulls everywhere.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Increases in HP with new mufflers and crossover pipes can only be measured on special marketing dynos.

OTOH, headers make power on the shop dyno.

Steve cherrsagai

·
Registered
13,011 Posts
TurboCarrera said:
Increases in HP with new mufflers and crossover pipes can only be measured on special marketing dynos.

OTOH, headers make power on the shop dyno.

Steve cherrsagai
LMAO hiha hiha hiha
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts