BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
And she's back on the road! Turns out the damage was minimal. The valve spring sheered and basically collapsed on itself which meant the valve couldn't go all the way into the cylinder so only the valve and the spring were damaged. Both were replaced along with some maintenance items. One VANOS valve, the throttle actuator on that side (other one was already replaced) and the rod bearings. My warranty came through in the end and I would recommend Asurion (mine was with USAA with Asurion as the underwriter). I'll upload and post some pics when I get a chance.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Awesome! Did they provide you with a 'loaner' car while all this was going on ?
They did, but my Indy is a good friend so I probably had some preferential treatment.... ;-)

It was a good thing because it took almost 2 weeks for the warranty inspector to come out and look at it before they could start on anything.

·
Registered
991 Posts
They did, but my Indy is a good friend so I probably had some preferential treatment.... ;-)

It was a good thing because it took almost 2 weeks for the warranty inspector to come out and look at it before they could start on anything.
May I ask which warranty company you have? I didn't see it mentioned in the thread. If it was, sorry for being redundant!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
May I ask which warranty company you have? I didn't see it mentioned in the thread. If it was, sorry for being redundant!
No problem. It was actually in the very first post

"I have the USAA (underwritten by Asurion) exclusionary warranty". USAA is no longer offering this warranty so now I have Concord Auto Protect warranty that I just signed up for. We'll see how it compares.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Glad to hear your back on the road. I imagine the warranty is not cheap. What’s the maintenance schedule you have to keep up with for one of these policies? More than BMW’s recommendation?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Glad to hear your back on the road. I imagine the warranty is not cheap. What’s the maintenance schedule you have to keep up with for one of these policies? More than BMW’s recommendation?
No special maintenance requirements. I think the biggest thing was no "significant" aftermarket performance modifications. They did send an inspector to check the car out on the very first claim and apparently that was what they were looking for. I've been told some warranty companies will cancel the contract if aftermarket performance mods are done.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Did the insurance company pay for the rod bearings?
No, the maintenance items (rod bearings, second throttle actuator) were paid for by me while it was down. The one VANOS unit was covered as it was the same bank as the failed valve spring.

·
Registered
44 Posts
No special maintenance requirements. I think the biggest thing was no "significant" aftermarket performance modifications. They did send an inspector to check the car out on the very first claim and apparently that was what they were looking for. I've been told some warranty companies will cancel the contract if aftermarket performance mods are done.
If you don’t mind me asking, how much is your new warranty and for how long. I presume they send someone to check the car first and look over what maintenance records you might have. I’m have 94k on a ‘08 6 speed mt having done the bearings about 4K ago.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
If you don’t mind me asking, how much is your new warranty and for how long. I presume they send someone to check the car first and look over what maintenance records you might have. I’m have 94k on a ‘08 6 speed mt having done the bearings about 4K ago.
If you look under the sticky warranty thread you will see a bunch of different warranties that people have looked at. I ended up with Concord Auto Protect Premium 3/36 zero deductible for $4k. The only caveat is that it does not take affect for 30 days or 1k miles. I don't put that kind of mileage on my car and they lowered it to 700 miles and offered to lower it further if it looked like after 30 days I still was not going to be over 700 miles. So they appear to be helpful at least. The warranty is fully transferable to a second owner and can be cancelled with a prorated refund. They had a lot of good ratings and another board member bought the same warranty. Time will tell.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you look under the sticky warranty thread you will see a bunch of different warranties that people have looked at. I ended up with Concord Auto Protect Premium 3/36 zero deductible for $4k. The only caveat is that it does not take affect for 30 days or 1k miles. I don't put that kind of mileage on my car and they lowered it to 700 miles and offered to lower it further if it looked like after 30 days I still was not going to be over 700 miles. So they appear to be helpful at least. The warranty is fully transferable to a second owner and can be cancelled with a prorated refund. They had a lot of good ratings and another board member bought the same warranty. Time will tell.
Thanks for the great info. Might be worth looking into. Thanks again.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
15 Participants
V10Beamer
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing