BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I know this has probably been discussed previously. I spent many hours trying to search for the answer but had no luck, so please forgive me.

I am in the market for a budget BBK conversion for my M5. While doing some research I found that OEM Style 65 wheels are quite limiting in size. My goal is to get some proper calipers to work with E92 M3 rotors which are 360mm up front and 350mm on the rear, which are a big step forward compared to stock E39 M5 rotors with single piston calipers.

If anyone of you has ever had such an experience, what is the biggest rotor/caliper that will fit under factory Style 65 wheels? Not stuck with E92 M3 rotor idea, I just assumed it is a good option. Any help will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
12,913 Posts
I have one of the old Stop Tech front only BBK's. The rotor is 345mm from memory. I used stock rear wheels on the front. I don't think there is much more room under the stock (rear) wheel.

I used Zeckhausen Racing website for some of my brake products. Dave used to have an E39. That is a place to start.

Regards
Jerry

Reactions: mgdmb

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hi, quite a few of us went the BMW Performance Brake kit route (fronts), which is a Brembo 6 piston, fitted to 135i rotors. The new kits are kind of a mustard yellow, I found some used 135i units:

Only hangups are trimming the existing brake shields, and getting your hands on a set of the brake caliper brackets, which a few members on here might be still offering.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Hey guys!

I know this has probably been discussed previously. I spent many hours trying to search for the answer but had no luck, so please forgive me.

I am in the market for a budget BBK conversion for my M5. While doing some research I found that OEM Style 65 wheels are quite limiting in size. My goal is to get some proper calipers to work with E92 M3 rotors which are 360mm up front and 350mm on the rear, which are a big step forward compared to stock E39 M5 rotors with single piston calipers.

If anyone of you has ever had such an experience, what is the biggest rotor/caliper that will fit under factory Style 65 wheels? Not stuck with E92 M3 rotor idea, I just assumed it is a good option. Any help will be much appreciated.

I'll start by agreeing with what Jerry said. Call Dave Z. The man is a true encyclopedia when it comes to brakes, and is really easy to talk to as well. Can't go wrong.

Honestly, your best bet for a 'budget' BBK is to wait for someone to sell one. You really only need the fronts, IMO.

Under stock fronts, you can fit ST40s or ST60s without a spacer with 345x32mm discs. For the rears, ST40s won't fit without a pretty big spacer (15 or 20mm, I don't recall offhand). This assumes stock suspension, or at least not coilovers.

I'm running Trophy Sport ST60s in the front, and ST40s in the rear, both discs are 355x32mm. But I'm also running Dinan wheels so clearance isn't an issue. I think you'd hard pressed to get 360s to work, but I could be wrong.

ST ran a group buy last year that ended up being 40% off, for regular 40s or 60s, or Trophys. Was a killer deal for everyone that got in on it.

My recall on the Performance brakes is they use a 28mm thick rotor. Probably fine if you don't track, but the brackets were the long pole. All BBKs require trimming the dust shield

·
1,930 Posts
I also have the Stoptech ST40, and I must admit I thought it was 355mm.

It clears the standard 18" wheels, and also just clears 17" winter wheels.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Ran. Not are currently running. If they bring it back I'll post in here too. It was mainly coordinated through the FB group

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ran. Not are currently running. If they bring it back I'll post in here too. It was mainly coordinated through the FB group
What Fb group. I want in for front brakes

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have the STR-60 up front, STR-22 rear on stock wheels, no spacers. My rotors are 355x32mm front and 345x28mm rear. That is with the factory staggered setup. E90 is 360x30mm front, 350x24mm rear so pretty close to your goal.

I would wait and save up your cash for a developed kit. IMHO it's better to have a setup that is designed with the correct piston volume for the M5 than trying to match calipers made for a different weight car with a different master cylinder, but then again I don't have time to do all that math these days. End of the day, adding in time spent on research, sourcing and potentially money paying for custom fabricated brackets, how much do you save? Maybe a lot, I don't know...

I got my stuff from Dave, he is awesome. As others have said, he would know if you can get a caliper that will fit over a 360mm while still clearing the wheel. But e90 rotors all around are gonna run you a grand, before you even get into anything else. Stoptech (not trophy model) fronts run $2800 for the ST-60 setup (rotors, calipers, pads, lines), it's just something to think about.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts