BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help ! I've been going nuts over the BimmerForums and the M5Board.com Forums looking for an option to install big brake kits on the E63 if only for eye candy factor. Daily driver, street driven, no track time so far. I was following another model tread, when I mentioned the E63 they ran me out the door. The big question when changing brakes is the brake proportioning valve. Knowing that the E63 has multiple electronic gizmos on the suspension and braking, is it really that much needed to add a mechanical brake proportioning valve? I would think that the DCS, MDM and ABS would be able to catch for any braking differences and compensate as if it were a poor traction or imminent lock-up situation. Again: I could be completely wrong. Can somebody share a bit of knowledge?
I've been looking at the Porsche Cayenne Turbo GTS brakes, very similar in size to the E63, and the Audi Q7, which has 6 piston front, 4 piston rears at under $1000/set of 4. I'm nowhere near needing new brake rotors for now, about 50% pad life left. But already thinking on how to go about when the time comes.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Not to be rude, but:

LMGTFY

The first link. They are obviously not the only reseller - but that will give you part numbers etc etc to get some other prices.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Help ! I've been going nuts over the BimmerForums and the M5Board.com Forums looking for an option to install big brake kits on the E63 if only for eye candy factor. Daily driver, street driven, no track time so far. I was following another model tread, when I mentioned the E63 they ran me out the door. The big question when changing brakes is the brake proportioning valve. Knowing that the E63 has multiple electronic gizmos on the suspension and braking, is it really that much needed to add a mechanical brake proportioning valve? I would think that the DCS, MDM and ABS would be able to catch for any braking differences and compensate as if it were a poor traction or imminent lock-up situation. Again: I could be completely wrong. Can somebody share a bit of knowledge?
I've been looking at the Porsche Cayenne Turbo GTS brakes, very similar in size to the E63, and the Audi Q7, which has 6 piston front, 4 piston rears at under $1000/set of 4. I'm nowhere near needing new brake rotors for now, about 50% pad life left. But already thinking on how to go about when the time comes.
There's been talk in a few threads about adapting brakes from other cars, nothing has really come of it. The only real options are aftermarket kits for which there are are a few options from the usual suspects, StopTech, Brembo, ALcon, AP Racing, etc. ranging from $6,000 to $10,000 or more depending on exactly what you want.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My whole idea of going BBK is to have a little bit of eye candy. These kits mentioned here are undoubtedly the best there is, but I'm not a pro racecar driver. In any case, take my calipers off, clean them and give them a nice paint. On another side of the coin, I've looked at specs for the oem brake pads and have noted that they are nearly identical (if not the same pads) as the 4-6 piston caliper pads. (I'm going by part numbers from Hawk pads).
Let me change my question: is there a rear wheel 4 piston brake caliper adapter kit for the E 63? is it the same as the E46 ? Kindly remember this is a daily driver.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My whole idea of going BBK is to have a little bit of eye candy. These kits mentioned here are undoubtedly the best there is, but I'm not a pro racecar driver. In any case, take my calipers off, clean them and give them a nice paint. On another side of the coin, I've looked at specs for the oem brake pads and have noted that they are nearly identical (if not the same pads) as the 4-6 piston caliper pads. (I'm going by part numbers from Hawk pads).
Let me change my question: is there a rear wheel 4 piston brake caliper adapter kit for the E 63? is it the same as the E46 ? Kindly remember this is a daily driver.
There's no caliper swap option from any other chassis at this point front or rear. The E46 is a completely different hub design, they don't even share the same bolt threading on the sliders. You can have custom brackets made up to mount whatever calipers you want but the cost in developing them and getting everything lined up and balanced would exceed the cost of an aftermarket kit already developed. The only pre-existing option for putting different calipers on the E6x ///M car series is the aftermarket kits. To that end any of the kits can be sold as just rears but braking balance is going to be compromised to the point that it won't be solved with valve biasing.

There have been a couple of threads where finding an easy caliper swap upgrade has been beat to death. No solution has been created. It's the expensive kits or nothing.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Brembo BBK is by far the most expensive mod for the least to be gained. The pricing is absolutely ridiculous you could get a supercharger for that cost.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Brembo BBK is by far the most expensive mod for the least to be gained. The pricing is absolutely ridiculous you could get a supercharger for that cost.
If you're going to spend any time on a track I think you'll find this is a really really necessary upgrade. Otherwise, yeah - totally cosmetic :)

·
Registered
974 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks stock brakes look great and more than adequate/great for street driving?

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
If you're going to spend any time on a track I think you'll find this is a really really necessary upgrade. Otherwise, yeah - totally cosmetic :)
BBK will also subtract unsprung weight where it counts.

Add lightweight wheels and tires, and you can subtract 25 to 30 pounds over OEM, per wheel, at the corners.

You will feel like you have a supercharger — without any heat soak issues.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I really only bought my Stoptech all round for eye candy but since then I'm on a journey to install my supercharger next wknd lol! It's a slippery slope!!

They're literally no fade and I don't track mine.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks stock brakes look great and more than adequate/great for street driving?
I think stock are perfect for street. Pair with track pads and fluid and they work great at the track as well. Looks are alright: rotors are fine but calipers look a bit dated compared to newer cars.

Nah, the secret is on pads, fluid and cooling. I was looking into BBKs after suffering massive pad transfer at the track rendering my rotors useless, but then I saw several cars (M3s, hondas, etc.) running stock brakes and blueish/golden rotors. They were in fact stock brakes except for DTC70/60 pads. I followed their example at the next event and with DTC60 on all four corners brakes didn't fade, overheat or had pad transfer at all. And I was using BFG R1 tires. So pads, Castrol SRF and removing the front backing plates (for cooling) did the trick.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I think stock are perfect for street. Pair with track pads and fluid and they work great at the track as well. Looks are alright: rotors are fine but calipers look a bit dated compared to newer cars.

Nah, the secret is on pads, fluid and cooling. I was looking into BBKs after suffering massive pad transfer at the track rendering my rotors useless, but then I saw several cars (M3s, hondas, etc.) running stock brakes and blueish/golden rotors. They were in fact stock brakes except for DTC70/60 pads. I followed their example at the next event and with DTC60 on all four corners brakes didn't fade, overheat or had pad transfer at all. And I was using BFG R1 tires. So pads, Castrol SRF and removing the front backing plates (for cooling) did the trick.
Weakest link in the OEM system is fluid, brake lines, and pads.

SRF, SS lines, and good track pads is a quick performance upgrade.

If the OP is looking for eye bling on a budget — paint the OEM calipers.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Forgot to mention, IMO DTC pads are not street friendly. Crazy squealing when cold or street driven and *NASTY* dust. Not cheap either. Guess that's why all the cars I was referring to were swapping pads at the end of the trackday.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I really only bought my Stoptech all round for eye candy but since then I'm on a journey to install my supercharger next wknd lol! It's a slippery slope!!

They're literally no fade and I don't track mine.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
What wheels are those in the first picture with the red symbol on them?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Recently found out that the E3 M6 Brembo big brake kits use either 380 or 405 mm rotors. ($9000 for all 4 wheels). Well, there's a Mercedes Benz SL55 AMG that uses 380X34 mm rotors, the same as the Brembo kits. The AMG Brembos are 8 pistons!! Can buy them used for $800.00. Haven't been able to find 4 piston calipers to go with the 380X28 rear rotors. (Go to 405 mm and will need 20"wheels).
Looking into buying a set of MB 8 piston calipers, Brembo rotors ($1500 for all 4) and 6 piston rears ($500).

Tried getting into the Brembo parts catalog to look up which calipers come in what kits, which calipers fit what car, it is not possible to get any information from anybody.

I am hoping anybody here reading has something to say beside telling me to spend $9000 in a brake kit that could be bought for $2800.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Nope, I am in the same club as you. But I do wish they had far more bite when coming off the highway around 100, because the car is a tank and deserves to have brakes that stop it as quickly as the engine moves it! Could just not ever justify the exorbitant cost of a BBK when the stock calipers perform adequately (although not perfectly for the weight of the car IMO).

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Nope, I am in the same club as you. But I do wish they had far more bite when coming off the highway around 100, because the car is a tank and deserves to have brakes that stop it as quickly as the engine moves it! Could just not ever justify the exorbitant cost of a BBK when the stock calipers perform adequately (although not perfectly for the weight of the car IMO).
Initial bite is easy to change with aftermarket pads. FYI I'm selling a set of hawk dtc60 pads. Not exactly street-friendly, but others have daily-driven them so...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Many things have happened: bought a set of Brembo caliper adapters for the E60-E63 chassis from a Brembo GT kit. Now have to figure out which rotors and calipers I need. The previous owner told me the calipers were very similar to the Corvette C5. Still checking that. Not that I doubt him, but I don't want to buy several sets to find out what fits.
Apparently the GT kit front rotors were 380mm (oem 374) rears 355 (oem 370). SERIOUSLY thinking on installing the oem front rotors with an aftermarket used rotors. Porsche Cayenne 380mm front, 355 rears. To my dismay, the 8 pot front calipers off a MB CLS 55 AMG use a 380 mm front rotor. Maybe I can go 8 pot...
May just upgrade the rear calipers to 4 piston Brembos and leave the fronts alone ?? (for now...)
As a last option, a coworker just got a 2018 M6 Grand Coupe. Question: can I retrofit the rotors and calipers from the 2018 model to the E63 chassis? May need 20" wheels, that's easy.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Many things have happened: bought a set of Brembo caliper adapters for the E60-E63 chassis from a Brembo GT kit. Now have to figure out which rotors and calipers I need. The previous owner told me the calipers were very similar to the Corvette C5. Still checking that. Not that I doubt him, but I don't want to buy several sets to find out what fits.
Apparently the GT kit front rotors were 380mm (oem 374) rears 355 (oem 370). SERIOUSLY thinking on installing the oem front rotors with an aftermarket used rotors. Porsche Cayenne 380mm front, 355 rears. To my dismay, the 8 pot front calipers off a MB CLS 55 AMG use a 380 mm front rotor. Maybe I can go 8 pot...
May just upgrade the rear calipers to 4 piston Brembos and leave the fronts alone ?? (for now...)
As a last option, a coworker just got a 2018 M6 Grand Coupe. Question: can I retrofit the rotors and calipers from the 2018 model to the E63 chassis? May need 20" wheels, that's easy.

Any suggestions?
Not sure on the mounting points for the Brembo adapters.

Cayanne rotors (or any Porsche) are the wrong hat offset, bore size, and lug pattern.

F12/13 6 series have a redesigned hub. They do not share the same mounting points as e63/e64 6 series and the rotor offset is different as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts