BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon i wonder if any one knows how to stop my front discs from squeeling. They only make the noise when theyre warmed up?

Any help would be most appreciated

Paul

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Good afternoon i wonder if any one knows how to stop my front discs from squeeling. They only make the noise when theyre warmed up?

Any help would be most appreciated

Paul
are you using original discs and pads

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi m5killer yes I'm using tue original disks and pads.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Hi m5killer yes I'm using tue original disks and pads.
it could be your calipers... have they ever been rebuilt,on the negative side they are made of cast iron very old technology 4 piston calipers. dave w should be able to guide you on this one as hes warmed his brakes plenty of times round the ring i wonder if he ever had brake squeal...

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks m5killer I've not had the brake calipers overhauled. Is there any kits for these to overhaul them yer self *

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
theres a company that does it in the north somewhere they have done a few bt calipers... you can find them in one of the classic car mags i forgot what they called... not very expensive

Reactions: pulsapharer

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you m5killer I will look them up.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are there any Bi Turbo owners who have fitted Calipers/discs other than Alpina items?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
many bt owners are running 740 discs and mercedes sprinter pads.... some are running complete different setups altogether like mine is six pot calipers with 380mm grooved reworked ap discs

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would you say that when the stock Discs/Calipers are in 100% working order are they good? average?

Obviously newer better technology in brakes design and materials have made them a lot better

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Would you say that when the stock Discs/Calipers are in 100% working order are they good? average?

Obviously newer better technology in brakes design and materials have made them a lot better
they were good for when they were made and are still ok but when you know you can be braking a hell of a lot better theres only one way to go....

·
Registered
714 Posts
If brakes squeal and you are using original discs and pads then it could be as M5Killer suggests, uneven pad contact due to a sticky piston in one of the calipers, or rusty glazed discs/pads (how often do you drive your car?) or disc wear and the pads are contacting high spots - perfectly true discs, working calipers and new pads don't squeal.

I've cooked mine a few times and while Alpina pads were the best for smooth braking and low disc wear, when used hard they wear quickly and soon fade due to the heat retained in those calipers. I switched to Mercedes 500SEC (I think they were) pads and that seems to be the best compromise I've found. I did try a short spell with Brembo 4-pots, discs and pads from an 840CI but that was a very bad idea as the master cylinder to piston ratio was all wrong and I had a very long pedal so went back to standard. Standard brakes will stop you from 170MPH (the highest I've tried) but if I had the cash and time to investigate I'd do what Rojer has done and invest in some AP Racing 4 or 6 pots and some floating discs.

Why not give your discs a good clean or light skim (if they really need it) and have someone like Classicar Automotive rebuild your calipers. They did mine a few years back and I was very happy with their service but truthfully I don't know if they're still around.

[I heard about the 7 series disc conversion but thought the offset was wrong to use as a straight swap? That's what I can remember from about 6 years ago when I was first looking at this.]

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you Dave I've has the car for 12 years and initially it was only used as a Sunday driver but recently I've decided to use her everyday. Last year though she was stood for 8 month without being moved. The brake squeal was there before that and as far as I remember started when the discs and pads were replaced.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts