BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am cynical and dubious to say the least on any additives in either fuel or oil.

However, a friend of mine pointed me at this BG44

BG 44K Fuel Injector & Engine System Cleaner on eBay (end time 17-Feb-11 21:40:36 GMT)

Apparently its even used by Toyota/Lexus main dealers as a service item??

Now i'm no convert but a main dealer using something like this does prick my ears up.

Snake oil et al springs to mind, but has anyone had any experience of it?

Apparently its a very good injector cleaner, much better than other off the shelf items, but again, they all say that.

Of course it can't do any harm, but is it worth the money?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can vouch for the BG chemicals. We sell them at my shop and I also know the Mercedes, and BMW dealers around here use and sell them as well. Good stuff!

Matt

·
Registered
93 Posts
My indy also uses this stuff and when I was researching what fuel injector cleaner to use this brand was at the top of the list.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
very good stuff, i've used the 44k and their fuel injector cleaner with good results. best way to do the injectors is out of the car. i use a 9v battery to activate them, then flush and back flush them with the injector cleaner.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
very good stuff, i've used the 44k and their fuel injector cleaner with good results. best way to do the injectors is out of the car. i use a 9v battery to activate them, then flush and back flush them with the injector cleaner.

If you take them out,it would make more sense to get them cleaned,flow tested and matched by a professional shop..

·
Registered
93 Posts
When working at a local Toyota dealer, Toyota/Lexus indy, and Acura dealer, the shops always used those BG pop-a-top cans of fuel system cleaner with good results. Now, if you're going through the trouble to pull the injectors, it's a much better idea to have them tested, rebuilt with sonic cleaning, and then retested/matched.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
of course, if you dont mind the down time etc. obviously it isn't as good as a professional clean job but its the next best thing. using the right cleaner is key also. BG's 44k and Injector cleaner are two different products. also you cannot "flow match" your injectors, there is nothing that can be adjusted on the injector itself. flow matching is done by testing a bunch of injectors and then grouping the ones with similar flow #'s into sets.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
of course, if you dont mind the down time etc. obviously it isn't as good as a professional clean job but its the next best thing. using the right cleaner is key also. BG's 44k and Injector cleaner are two different products. also you cannot "flow match" your injectors, there is nothing that can be adjusted on the injector itself. flow matching is done by testing a bunch of injectors and then grouping the ones with similar flow #'s into sets.

You have after cleaning them only no idea about flow rate,spray pattern,....

You only GUESS they are working proper and still have to remove and install them(with new O-rings of course)

Good injector shops also offer to flow match injectors,means they compare other injectors that are the same to yours to make sure the flow tolerance in the set of injectors is as low as possible.

I rather have a proof the injectors are good(by disassembly,ultrasonic cleaning,changing caps and filters,test them,...)

Who cares if the car is then down a few days?

·
Registered
93 Posts

You only GUESS they are working proper and still have to remove and install them(with new O-rings of course)

Good injector shops also offer to flow match injectors,means they compare other injectors that are the same to yours to make sure the flow tolerance in the set of injectors is as low as possible.

I rather have a proof the injectors are good(by disassembly,ultrasonic cleaning,changing caps and filters,test them,...)

This. I've got a motorbike and another vehicle. Doesn't bother me if the car is down for a few days to KNOW everything is working properly. I would use the BG just as I did at the dealer, as preventative maintenance. If the injectors are going to be removed, I would send them on a short vacation to a recreational spa.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts

theres no guess's involved, i know exactly what how the flow pattern is as i can see it. an injector isn't very complicated, its basically a little solenoid. it opens and closes, or it dosent... and can be tested for proper resistance. anyone can do as they wish, i prefer to fix things myself.

·
Registered
906 Posts

Good injector shops also offer to flow match injectors,means they compare other injectors that are the same to yours
to make sure the flow tolerance in the set of injectors is as low as possible.

I'm afraid Raikku, confusing the discussion with facts, when their mind is made up, is akin to P'g into the wind. Still, a
noble effort nonetheless.

Regards,
Alan

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
its obvious that a professional cleaning works the best, beileve i already agreed to this FACT. all im saying is if you dont want to or can't send them out then this is the next best thing, much better than just dumping a can of additive in the tank.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts