BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
I ran them on my other car first about 3 years ago. I was looking for the ultimate high performance summer tire with wet traction (as it rains often here in the bay area). I wanted the Eagle F1's, but looking at tire reviews the KDW2's were about on par with the Eagles and cost less.

This is now the ONLY tire I run on all my performance street machines. They last long, have insane grip, and I haven't had one bubble or blow out yet, even with the nasty roads here in norcal. I can't comment on tire noise though, since all the cars I've ran these tires on have loud exhausts. I can say though, the previous owner of my M5 had Falken 452's (I thought they sucked, but maybe due to the fact they were getting low on tread), and switching over to the KDW2's I have not noticed any increase in tire noise (not that I heard any before).

·
Registered
133 Posts
will have to agree w Matt on this one, my M3 came with those tires and they were noisy but do grip quite well.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Like others - had them on my '05 GTO - grip was good, ride was good, but they were moderately noisy on concrete roads. In my experience, the single biggest factor when it comes to road/tire noise is the road surface itself. Concrete and in particular grooved concrete is MUCH, MUCH noisier than asphalt. I see that Arizonans are particularly lucky as they get the special "quiet" asphalt (higher rubber content). The next biggest factor is the tires.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Honestly, for the price, and the not-so-grippy 300AA treadwear rating, there are far better options out there.

The RS3 is a much stickier tire (140AA treadwear), and in reality it's apples to oranges with the previous comparison.

Comparably-priced tires in the same category that I would suggest over the KDW2:

- Hankook Ventus V12 (almost identical with the Michelin PS2 in every way, they're even quieter)
- Dunlop Z1 Star Spec
- Kumho Ecsta XS

good luck in your hunt!

Reactions: Vector57

·
Registered
430 Posts
I had KDWs on my 11 second AWD DSM and bought these to get more grip from what I was running before these at the time I ordered them. I picked these through the advise of another racer to better my track times. These tires performed excellent day in and day out on the track and on the street. I would say these were on the top of my list to put on my E39 but I tried the Continental DWS last year on my 18s because of searching these and other e39 forums, and I really liked these tires. I didn't have enough time with them so I haven't given them my approval for being better then the KDWs as there isn't enough data yet. I just ordered the Hankooks V12 EVOs on 19s so this is my next test vs the KDWs. Will update when time and road usage has passed.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Another vote for Hankook Ventus V12

Honestly, for the price, and the not-so-grippy 300AA treadwear rating, there are far better options out there.

The RS3 is a much stickier tire (140AA treadwear), and in reality it's apples to oranges with the previous comparison.

Comparably-priced tires in the same category that I would suggest over the KDW2:

- Hankook Ventus V12 (almost identical with the Michelin PS2 in every way, they're even quieter)
- Dunlop Z1 Star Spec
- Kumho Ecsta XS

good luck in your hunt!
Excellent advice above! The list is exactly what I would have given. My last set was the Dunlop Star Spec's and was
truly a great tire, however I found that given they are so "sticky", they manage to pick up debris. I had three
punctures during their 6500 mile life-span. Now running the Hankook Ventus V12 and find them to be a remarkably
good performance tire and the pricing is excellent. Check out Tire-Rack's track testing results.

Regards,
Alan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts