BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my PS2's with Conti Extremes two weeks ago and they cannot balance them or at least their machine says they are balanced but the car says they are not(March 11 and again March 14, 2011) . I am using a well known performance shop who have mounted and dismounted tires for me for a decade or so. The PS2's were great but worn in the rear as usual. No balance issues for the 2 3/4 years they were on the car. E60 M5.

I am in a conversation with Tire Rack where I bought them to replace them under the 60day free trial. Wheels are stock and near perfect. They are willing to pay me less than half to mount and balance them than I paid and did not offer to pay the freight both ways, return and delivery of new tires, I'll go back to PS2's. If I kept these Contis as they are I could not have any confidence in them and would hate the car.

The un-balance problem gets worse when coming off the highway and driving slower to 55 or so. I think the tires are not constructed like the
PS2's and yet Tire Rack users give them the highest marks and they provide a video testing them and PS2's and something else. Of course they're cheaper than most alternatives which always helps the popularity. When hot they loose shape or something. Also I would add that they may not be matching the front and rears properly as the wheels and tires are different sizes.

Anyone seen this. :sad2:

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Sorry man....PS2's..the only way to go....did you not re-buy them because of cost??? if so, that was very silly...good luck. Were those tires "Z" rated??

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes these are Z rated and recommended by tirerack for the e60 m5.......

·
Registered
789 Posts
I would recommend the Hankook V12's. It's not in the PS2 category but its pretty good for what most people would be able to push with it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had this exact problem a few years back on my E39 - in the end the issue was that the tire compound is just very sensitive to temperature, and when the car would sit for a while (like overnight) a "flat spot" would develop that would go away once the tire warmed up. Not an issue (but annoying) UNLESS the tires are balanced when cold -- then they will shake as they warm up - and go out of balance. Then you take them back to the shop and do a test drive - and they agree they are not balanced - so they bring the car back and let it sit for a while and then balance them, and the exact same thing happens again... It is a vicious cycle, usually with claims of bent rims or improper balancing or whatever -- until they finally mount new tires and the issue goes away...

In the end the only thing that solved it for me was to get all new tires. For some reason this tire combined with the relatively heavy weight of the BMW is not a good mix...

Just m $0.02

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I had the same problem with Contis on my Benz with 18 inch rims, they flat spotted overnight. That specific tire is discontinued but my wife's Audi has Contis Exteme DWS and they are fine.I think low profile + Contis don't mix. The Audi has 17 inch rims.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have had my Conti extreme DW installed for 1500 miles with no issues so far, these tires are a lot better than the conti sport contact 2 (these were the ones my M5 brought). Have never had the PS2 to make a comparison.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've had no issues with the DW. In fact, love the tires. I did have a similar problem when I decided to purchase Kumhos, but tire rack replaced them and the new set fixed the problem.

I guess sometimes tires may be defective due to many reasons, ie weather, transit, sitting on a shelf, etc.

Reactions: Revo
1 - 10 of 10 Posts