BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife innocently placed some cotton wool with nail varnish remover on the plastic tray (under the cupholders).

When I removed the cotton a few hours later I was horrified to see this:

Sorry about the poor focus but you get the idea. The rubberised plastic had bubbled and warped and the tray was clearly ruined.

On my next trip to the dealer I plead innocence and ignorance and they were as "puzzled" as I was as to the cause. Thankfully the unit was replaced yesterday free of cost as a warranty item.

You have been warned - ban that stuff from your car!

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
That stuff is ruthless, glad the dealer came through for you.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
My wife innocently placed some cotton wool with nail varnish remover on the plastic tray (under the cupholders).

When I removed the cotton a few hours later I was horrified to see this:

Ashok,
How long will she be banished from the beast?
Glad that the dealer changed it under warranty.
Cheers,

·
Registered
351 Posts
And to think women put this stuff on their nails! God only knows the long term effects of chemicals like this!
TripleD

·
Banned
664 Posts
A few years ago a small child was playing near my car (my mother had borrowed it) and when she went over to say something she realised he'd been playing with some solder wire and flux.

When I say playing I mean drawing - all over my bonnet.

It is viscious stuff and where he had drawn he'd done straight through the protective coating, god knows how many levels of paint and down to the bare metal !

he was only about 5 years old ! good job I hadn't found him grrrrrrr

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Sorry to hear of this, Ashok.

Nail paint remover is mostly acetone. It will eat many plastics, and it will destroy exterior car paint and clearcoat.

It is like the "Dip" in Roger Rabit...

David

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MartinW said:
Ashok,

I hope the dealer isn't reading this thread.........
sshhh! :nono: ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts