BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had seen it all from this board on the M5 but I quess not. I had my car in for inspection II this last week as well as a little dent removal. When I read the paperwork concerning the check engine light that was on I was quite surprised as to the reason - seat motor fault! That's right, the seat motor caused the check engine light. It was a momentary fault and on the good side, it has nothing at all to do with the engine. What's next an under waxed condition on the paint causing a engine fault? :confused3

The inspection II turned up no issues and it was quite reasonable in cost compared to others I have seen here, $568. This included the oil change at $4.60 per quart for 5W 30 which is less expensive than me buying it and changing it! The car has 47,075 miles showing and I could not be happier at this point.

I guess observing the proper break-in procedures is paying off in the long run. This would certainly be a caution to those of you looking to purchase a used M5. I realise it is next to impossible to tell how the car was broken in, but it will make a difference over time.

Mark

·
Registered
328 Posts
I had an SES just for pissing off my wife. Got it fixed, but cost me

a trip for 2 to Vegas! ****, I need an extended warranty.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Stevus said:

I like that, I wish I could take my wife to Vegas and make everything all right. she always wants to go to the beach:hihi: , Josh

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Stevus said:

hiha hiha Never had that one happen to me....
CEL for a bad seat motor? Huh? That is the first time I have ever heard of that coming up. I had problems with the power seats in my E39, and never once got a CEL for it. How strange.
:cheers:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
MAH said:
When I read the paperwork concerning the check engine light that was on I was quite surprised as to the reason - seat motor fault! That's right, the seat motor caused the check engine light.

Mark
HA HA Good One! You always have the funniest stories about your car!! No wait a minute, that's me, I always has the funniest stories about my car. :D :D :D You know I can never top your nutty stuff (or can I???).

So here's my attempt at keeping up...

Last Sat at the track my Coupe decides to go into limp mode--as I'm trying to enter the course on pit road, of course. Long story a little shorter, it ends up one of a dealership's employees had a hand held code reader and one of the error codes was something like a "rear spoiler defect fault" hiha hiha hiha Some help that code reader ended up being.

Anita

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I'm just amazed at how good the OBD systems are.
Just the other day I had a flicker so I checked it out.
Shows the electric thermostat is about to go out, ABOUT TO!
Now thats heads up.
Also found out that my rightside primary O2 is lazy.
Found that with the laptop download.
I love these cars.lovelove

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
My old 540 was a pain with the SES light because of the gas cap. I must of had the gas cap replaced 3 times before the light stopped nagging:(

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
MAH said:
seat motor fault
Oh Mark, I'll never make fun of you again HA HA HA (I'm such a liar :D)

I just got told I had 31 fault codes for my seat!!!!

Can you ever forgive me for teasing you about YOUR faults (hey now, am I talking about your faults or your car's faults :blabla: )

Anita

·
Registered
694 Posts
InspectionII for $568!! JeeZ. I just called BMW here in the Bay Area to confirm, but they want $1300 for the same INS II!! Who do i talk to to Complain :mad: grrrrrrr

MAH, How do we really know they lubbed up the Parking brake cable?

Or did all of the things there supposed to do? I asked Service to top off al my fluids once and they said ok. Picked up car and the Windshield as well as radiator were still low!?!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
A little off topic, but interesting none the less. I was driving my sister's 95 325i last week. Now keep in mind it's a 1995 (e36). I'm driving along when the onboard computer displays 'lic plate light fail'. That's right, a 1995 325i is telling me that one of the license plate lights (the little light above the license plate that lights up the plate at night) has burnt out!! It's still making my head spin hiha

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am curious which dealer you brought it to in Houston. Did you go to Momentum? I have been going to BMW of Houston North off 1960.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oUSC said:
I am curious which dealer you brought it to in Houston. Did you go to Momentum? I have been going to BMW of Houston North off 1960.
Yes have been going to Momentum West on I-10 just outside of 1960.

Anita - You said you got 31 fault codes for your seat. Was this the car seat or were they referring to something else?!

Ocean M5 - I am not sure what you ment by "lubbed up" the parking cable. They certainly tightened it up though.

Mark

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
MAH said:
Anita - You said you got 31 fault codes for your seat. Was this the car seat or were they referring to something else?!
Mark
MAH-Are you saying the real problem might be a be the "junk in my trunk" HA HA HA HA
Anita

davem3smg-I love finding all the secret bits on BMW's--I'm still trying to find out if the M5 hood lining really is a fire blanket for an engine fire. And it's been fun seeing the reaction from the various folks at my dealership when I ask them. ;)
Anita

1 - 14 of 14 Posts