BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
boy those wheels are hard to clean. too many spokes!

any safe, yet powerful wheel cleaner? i've always used car soap and a sponge, but i'm gonna need help with the M5 wheels.

thanks in advance.
James

·
Registered
214 Posts
http://www.herringtoncatalog.com/m725.html

I've used this brush for a long time and have had great luck!

Hope it helps.

KCD

SpiderSense said:
boy those wheels are hard to clean. too many spokes!

any safe, yet powerful wheel cleaner? i've always used car soap and a sponge, but i'm gonna need help with the M5 wheels.

thanks in advance.
James

·
Registered
890 Posts
DIPLOMAT said:
I have used P21s and would recommend it, just spray on and spray off, very easy...

Yes, yes, yes. I will ad that it is a clear coat safe, water based product. I love it.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I have had good luck with the Zymol Brite and P21S wheel cleaners. Safe for the finsh while being able to remove most brake contaminents from the rim. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I think car wash soap and water is best. When you let the wheels get so dirty that this isn't enough, and then need something stronger to clean them, I think you're heading down the wrong track, especially since many owners have complained that the OEM wheel finish isn't very durable. I generally wash the car/wheels every other week or so, and have the Axxis Ultimate brake pads which are somewhat less dusty than OEM. I find that soap and water and a small sponge works fine.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
The PS1 Gel is great for those really dirty wheels.. you know, the type you get over the winter in areas where it is too cold to wash.

My initial experiences with the PS1 line were a little underwhelming, but as I used it more and more, it seemed to do as they advertised, making the wheels easier to clean.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Be careful with wheel cleaners. I own a 1.75 year old cherry M5. The car has NEVER been in a car wash and has only been cleaned by BMW dealers and myself (and I never use anything stronger than cold water on the wheel rims). The last time the car was washed by a BMW dealer (who DENIED they ever use acid on the wheels), the wheel finish was ruined on 3 wheels ... the lug nuts now look like they are 100 years old and two of the Roundel inserts are peeling (the car isn't 2 years old, yet). I am negotiating for new wheels, tires (I almost need them), Roundels and lug bolts for about $3,500 (best price I can get from BMW). Ouch, and **** ... BE CAREFUL and don't use anything stronger than absolutely needed on the rims ... Just my free advice ...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I agree with Quick M5. The gun smoke finish on the stock rims is VERY
fragile. When I bought my '03 M5 last year I didn't notice that the rims
had black drops and rivlets all over them. When I returned to the dealer
he explained that this may have been caused by road spray when the rims
were hot (highly unlikely). I suspect that the detail shop sprayed the wheel
cleaner on and forgot them. Result was the dealer replaced all four rims.
I now only use mild car wash soap, a very soft brush and water on
cold rims. Using Zaino on the rims really helps keep the brake residue from
sticking.
For non gun smoke finish rims I use Eagle One All Wheel Cleaner.
It's cheap and really gets the brake dust off. For a complete treatise
on the subject of wheel cleaners, see Guru Reports (www.gurureports.org).
Stacey

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Two things I really like...

Bmw wheel cleaner....yeah it acually works, spray the wheel off with water spray this on let it sit a min then spray it off wipe with a towel, and looks great.

The other...go to the store get pure amonia, get a spray bottle, load a little dawn into the bottle about a squart, then about half of amonia, and the rest with water, shake and clean the wheels with that the same as above works great.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I dont know if you have the same products in the US, but i use Shell it is very effective and the price is ok to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts