BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help with the best advice -- I recently purchased a Zune, and wish to use it through my DSP (either with or without steering controls at this point). Is there an adapter similar to the Dice that works well? I've searched the M5Board and Google and can't seem to locate one. I've tried the Zune FM x-mitter and I will return that POS later today (too many signals in the Tacoma area--far too much static). Basically...I'm looking for the easiest way to hear my Zune music through the car's speakers. Thanks!

Current config./factory

2002 MY (12/01 prod.)
Nav
6-disc changer
no aux input
cassette
80GB Zune

Thank you in advance for any advice you may have! If there is an existing thread on this (specifically for Zune), I apologize.

BTW -- I changed my oil and spark plugs myself at the 60K mark and both were easier and quicker than expected due to the M5Board and the help from its members -- muchas gracias!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as i can tell, I have the older radio and was hoping to avoid spending an extra $600 for a BM53 upgrade in order to use the Zune. Maybe the updated CD changer/MP3 player is the better option...??? Thanks for the info! Rob

·
Registered
597 Posts
I am in Bothell and I have never found a FM transmitter that will work with all our fm interference. Buy a iPod and a Intravee and forever be happy. Just don't tell uncle Gates that you went with Uncle Jobs =)

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
As far as i can tell, I have the older radio and was hoping to avoid spending an extra $600 for a BM53 upgrade in order to use the Zune. Maybe the updated CD changer/MP3 player is the better option...??? Thanks for the info! Rob
You can get the aux input and then hook it up to your old radio. However, you'd need the adapter to hook it up to the old radio. The adapter is this. I'm also a zune fan (and ipod disliker) but I may end up biting the bullet and getting an older gen ipod. It'll be in the trunk so that I dont have to remind me that I own one of those :grrrrr:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a creative Zen and I have connected it to my '01 with half of a DICE ipod interface (i don't like ipods). The DICE system has an interface module as well as an ADC module that converts analog audio into SPDIF to connect where the CD changer connects to the radio. The ADC module is all you need.

I disconnected the CD Changer input to the radio and just run the Zen all the time. Don't forget to leave a CD in the changer so that it will actually allow input. I got the module from BSW for ~$90, but I'm sure you can find it cheaper.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
DIY for hooking up a zune to an E39 M5:

Open trunk

Remove pop-out rivets holding left side covers in trunk.

Remove CD Changer

Install Dice kit

Run lines to the front

Sell Zune, buy iPod.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Cassette Adapter! I don't know why people don't use these more? Maybe I'm lucky that mine sounds pretty good?:confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts