BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to clean your steering wheel? It "feels" like mine is getting pretty dirty. Soap and Water? Zymol leather cleaner? Zaino Leather treatment? Armorall? Ive used them all previously and it still kind of "feels" dirty. What should I do? (besides buy a new M5)

Age issue...

I went to bimmerfest in search of others with M5's willing to show me their exhausts and ran into very very few. Even the vendors from Evosport and Active Autowerk werent having it. I literally went up to the people at the active autowerk booth while they were revving up thier new M3 and asked loudly if they had any M5 systems, knowing that they do. The guy looks me in the face and walks off. NO RESPONSE. Same thing at Evosport I was looking the the grey M5 that I have seen so many videos of and wanted to hear it. Not even necessarily to rev it up, but just to see if someone would humor me after the run-in with AA. Same thing, I ask all of the people at the booth if the M5 could be started so I could hear it to compare my exhaust with thiers and the response was again, to just walk away without saying anything. WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH THESE PEOPLE? Do they not want my business? Am I too young to have an M5? I am confused... I know Im not buying ANYTHING from either of those companies in the future though.

Eventually after being shot down so many times in the actual vendor area I went to look elsewhere to see/hear people's systems. I think I got there pretty late when most people had already left because there werent many other m5's. I looked around for a while and saw a group of 5's who were very hospitable. They invited me to bring my car out to where they were and that is what I was looking for the whole day. I didnt feel like I was in any brother hood and resented the fact I had an M5 until then. I felt like I should have bought a Subaru Sti or someting. It turns out it was Eurocarfan and his buddies that were the other 5's in the lot. His M5 is [email protected]!#. So all in all, it was a pretty negative experience besides seeing one other m5.

Anyways, that was just my thoughts, I needed to rant a little...

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience. You should stop by RPi
this Saturday at 11am. There's a group of us there to hear
the new GT exhaust system. Which exhausts are you looking
for?

As for the steering wheel, I use Zaino's leather cleaning
products. I haven't tried anything else but Zaino does a
pretty good job.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Why would you assume this is an age issue? How old are you?

Although I've often seen people shy from younger folks in certain industries, in this case you were at a car event asking about car parts, there's no reason for them not to show you what you're asking. They are in theory, there to sell product.

-F

·
Registered
138 Posts
Clean the steering wheel with 50% distilled water/50% DA Alcohol. Use a new micro fiber cloth and do it damp it will restore leather to the nice satin finish it used to have.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
If you use lotion on your hands try not to touch the steering wheel until it is fully absorb on your hands...a damp clean cloth should do the trick but if you think the steering wheel is drying up, use Zaino lether conditioner or Leatherique (use sparingly)...hope this helps:)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sorry to hear your frustration with dealing with vendors.

I ahve a good friend in the IT indusrty (6-figga income) and when in his mid 20's he had simmilar treatment from dealers when he wanted to buy an M3.

As I said to him once he found somebody to treat him seriously, make a day of it and re-visit each dealer/ vendor who snobbed their noses at you and explain to them that you were serious and that they have now missed out on $XXXX dollars from you and they will definately miss out on $xxxxx dollars in the future because you and anybody you know will never shop with them.

Oh yeah... in regards to the steering wheel, I use the factory BMW leather cleaner and treatment and it works well.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I've also had good results with the factory BMW leather cleaner. But if you don't care for their products I'd stop over at Classic Motoring Accessories. I've been buying stuff from them for a few years now and they run a great shop.

http://www.properautocare.com

·
Registered
836 Posts
I've seen that kind of bias in stealer showrooms many times. You'd think the aftermarket folks would be a little more savvy. Maybe they had a long day with less sales or interest than they were expecting. Athough that's no excuse, if they treated you respectfully they might have improved their day too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts