BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best Titanium exhaust for the E60 M5?

anyone have the blue tip from the titanium exhaust for the E60 M5.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Full titanium exhaust ???? Wow that must be a fortune 35 K ??

"another dreamer"

·
Registered
696 Posts
I want my exhaust pipes covered in snake skin..I also would want to have that "natural feeling" so that when the snake skin is starting to get crusty it will shed by itself.
At that point I will have a yellow warning light in my HUD telling me to change skin....I would keep the skins in the small "pocket" in the trunk and you just pull the skin on the exhaust as if it was a condom...

Titanium exhaust...pffffff...snake skin all the way bro!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I want my exhaust pipes covered in snake skin..I also would want to have that "natural feeling" so that when the snake skin is starting to get crusty it will shed by itself.
At that point I will have a yellow warning light in my HUD telling me to change skin....I would keep the skins in the small "pocket" in the trunk and you just pull the skin on the exhaust as if it was a condom...

hiha hiha hiha

·
Registered
4,101 Posts

I dare you to call BMW's Exclusive program and request it!

'Rocket

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Well, Ti exhausts are mainly for weight savings. For comparison the E46 M3 muffler in Ti weighs around 11lb. And since the material is different and thinner, it usually results in a louder exhaust.

·
Registered
487 Posts
most of the weight savings from a muffler are due to design more than material and since titanium is such a poor choice for exhaust parts why bother...unless you just like the pretty colors.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
most of the weight savings from a muffler are due to design more than material and since titanium is such a poor choice for exhaust parts why bother...unless you just like the pretty colors.
Well, it's a combination of both. Because titanium is stronger less material needs to be used making a large difference in weight savings. I agree that they are not optimal for an exhaust as the constant heat cycles wear out Ti faster than SS.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
this looks pretty good....

the reason i asked is that i have a M3 with amuse titanium exhaust from section 2 to the muffler.. gain about 10 HP.. proven.. and plus and burnt tips looks good... so i was just wondering if anyone has any idea for this...

about 5K.. worth it?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
the reason i asked is that i have a M3 with amuse titanium exhaust from section 2 to the muffler.. gain about 10 HP.. proven.. and plus and burnt tips looks good... so i was just wondering if anyone has any idea for this...

about 5K.. worth it?
That's probably my favorite exhaust for the M3.

As for the Arqray, whether it's worth it or not is up to you. Arqray is the import division of Fujitsubo, which is one of the top exhaust manufacturers in Japan. I'm pretty sure the quality would be top notch, but would not expect any HP gains. The Dixis one is almost 1K less...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hum. on a high revving engine.. i thought at least would have some nice gains.

since owning an M3 and adding exhaust and intake definitely increased my butt dyno...

·
Registered
522 Posts
Titanium is not a good material for exhaust. While it has some great benefits (lighter weight, better strength to weight ratio, different sound), but it's largest flaw is that titanium becomes brittle after repeated heat cycles. Now you can see why using titanium is not a great idea on an exhaust system, including headers and mufflers.

I also have first hand experience: On my M3 I had a Meisterschaft (Eisenmann) Ti exhaust which weighed 17lbs. It sounded awesome, probably one of the deepest and best sounding exhaust for the M3. Unfortunately after a couple of years the material became so brittle that the can began cracking along the welds. I had those repaired only to have different parts of the can start to crack as well. Finally one of the hangers snapped off and that was it for the exhaust. I still having it sitting around...... didn't have the heart to throw out a $2k exhaust. :p

Don't do it, unless you're prepared to deal with the headache down the road ....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Titanium is not a good material for exhaust. While it has some great benefits (lighter weight, better strength to weight ratio, different sound), but it's largest flaw is that titanium becomes brittle after repeated heat cycles. Now you can see why using titanium is not a great idea on an exhaust system, including headers and mufflers.

I also have first hand experience: On my M3 I had a Meisterschaft (Eisenmann) Ti exhaust which weighed 17lbs. It sounded awesome, probably one of the deepest and best sounding exhaust for the M3. Unfortunately after a couple of years the material became so brittle that the can began cracking along the welds. I had those repaired only to have different parts of the can start to crack as well. Finally one of the hangers snapped off and that was it for the exhaust. I still having sitting around...... didn't have the heart to throw out a $2k exhaust. :p

Don't do it, unless you're prepared to deal with the heartache down the road ....

how many years did you have the exhaust on your car?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts