BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my tires soon. I currently have the Michelin PS2s. Replacing all 4 tires, according to one shop, will cost $2100. Are these the best tires? How about the pirelli's? I don't race this car and would like to know other people's experience and costs. Thanks.

·
Registered
216 Posts
PS2's are by far the BEST street tire available today, for both dry and wet conditions. They do cost the part as well, although they do wear well and last.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have been driving on Toyo Proxes for many years – currently Proxes T1R on my e60 M5. Not only are they great performing tires year-round with excellent handling and traction, they are very durable . . . . .<!-- / message -->

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
The stock ContiSportContact 2 tires aren't all that bad in overall performance, and they're a good chunk of change cheaper than the PS2. The PS2 is well recognized as a great tire, so you can't go wrong with it, you can just go cheaper. The general consensus on the Pirelli tires is STAY AWAY.

I just switched over my front tires to the Toyo T1R, and so far I have been happy but I need another week or so on them to really decide what I think. Once my rears wear down I'll be switching those over to the T1R as well to match (running ContiSportContact 3 on the rear...a puncture forced me to switch out the fronts early considering how little wear my front tires had after 13k miles).

·
Registered
831 Posts
Read a nice review on tires (I think it might have been in Evo) while browsing at a bookstore. The Goodyear F1 Asymmetric got great reviews. Wondered if anyone had any experience with them, or if they even come in the correct size for our cars...

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
If not the Michelin PS2's the only other tire I would purchase is the Nitto Invo. Much cheaper and equal in quality, grip and handling.
If you do not believe this well your throwing your money away.

These tires are very, very good.

If you want to spend more money to make you feel better get the Pirelli Corsa. An excellent tire with awesome dry weather grip and wet weather control. I have these tires on my GT3 and love them but the price is back in the Michelin range.

I strongly advise the Nitto Invo tires.

Cheers, M5Ranger

·
Registered
80 Posts
tires

Is there really any other tire out there other than the Michelin PS2s. seriously. you have to be kidding if you buy another street tire. all around the best by far. i love them.

·
Registered
513 Posts
pirelli's are awesome.... my last set lasted forever and the performance was GREAT!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just replaced the original contis with PS2s on my e60 m5. I own a tire shop and garage and can say unequivocally that Michelin beats anything else, hands down. My bill came to ~1400 (I get mounting free) on tirerack.com. Don't go with Proxes...they are pretty good but the road noise is annoying relative to the performance, they will sound like truck tires. Michelins are much quieter with better performance than pretty much anything out there. If you are looking for max performance, you may want to look at the pirellis, too, but their treadwear is horrendous. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I also have a set of PRoxes T1R's on the Estoril M Coupe, and they are OK, although lack in many depts compared to the PS2's. /end

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Michelin PS2s are a great street tire. If you don't drive in the rain or cold conditions, Michelin PS Cup tires are awesome and DOT approved for use on the street unlike R compounds.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Best way to purchase tires

Thanks for all of the advice so far on this subject, but what is the best way to get tires. Go to tire shop and buy them there or buy them on internet somewhere?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
TireRack is pretty good. If you have a GOOD Discount Tire/American Tire locally, they can be really good. I was referred to a particular store by a tuner shop I trust, and they did an excellent job. AND, they will negotiate the tire price. Discount Tire likes getting your business no matter what so long as they're not losing money. Without that referral, I don't think I would have ever considered Discount Tire, or may have ended up at a different one that wouldn't have been very good. Call up a few local accessory/tuner stores that do a lot of high-end wheels and large SUV wheels, and see if they have a recommendation in your area. My shop does installs, but they have no road hazard protection which is why I was replacing $600 worth of tires in the first place that were only 30% worn. Grrrr.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
ps2's by far are the hands down best tire out there !!

BUT $2100 IS WAY TOOO MUCH !! I PAID $1400 + INSTALL + BALANCE ALL IN WAS $1550..00 I'D SAY LOOOK AROUND !!

·
1,764 Posts
Is there really any other tire out there other than the Michelin PS2s. seriously. you have to be kidding if you buy another street tire. all around the best by far. i love them.
+1

I need to replace my tires soon. I currently have the Michelin PS2s. Replacing all 4 tires, according to one shop, will cost $2100. Are these the best tires? How about the pirelli's? I don't race this car and would like to know other people's experience and costs. Thanks.
$2100 - my stealer will put PS2s on a M5 or M6 for just under $1600 total.
:cheers:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just replaced mine, full sent of stock contis cost me £890. (about 17 million dollars)

Stuck with contis as I got 16k miles out of the ones that came with the car, saying that I've been driving round on slicks for the last hundred miles or so.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
R-COMPOUD Rubber is the ONLY way to go ! Anything else... your skimping, period !!!!!kinggf

After riding in DRM's M5 S3 I agree...I want some on my car! The
only issue is that you have to go to 18s to have any choice. The
Toyo Proxes R888 do come in 235/35/R19 and 295/30/R19 but I'm
not sure if these will fit stock. I'm still confused about what are
the min/max sizes we can put on our stock rims. Is there a
formula/heuristic for this? The nice thing about these is that the tread
wear is 100, a hell of a lot better than Hoosiers at 40.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts