BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
SDImolaS2 said:
If you have a M5 mit S2 your car deserves nothing less than the Michelin PS2s.

I have had mine one week and they are a large improvement over the original SP8080s that were on the car. Better turn in, much more precise steering responce under load, better grip. So far they are at least as quiet and don't tramline at all. They are perhaps a tiny bit firmer riding but miniscule reduction compared to the handling improvement.

It's not a direct comparison but my 98 M3/4a is running Toyo T1Ss. I am happy with them, they have good grip, are quiet so far and ride well. There was a percetible reduction in steering responce/precision compared to the Pilot Sports I had on the car previously, however the Toyo are smoother riding and quieter.

M3 with Pilot sports was much more nimble than the M5 (S2) with SP8080s. The M5 with PS2s actually feels a little more nimble and than the M3 with Toyo. I can't imagine how sharp the M3 would handle with the PS2s....

If you want plush tire the T1S is a great choice and they are on sale. Locally I could have got them for $770 including mounted/balance/tax which is a great deal. I hear the handling perks up at higher than stock tire pressure but haven't played with that yet. Haven't tried the new Goodyears but sounds like they are fairly comparable or slightly better.

However if performance without any substancial compromise is your game and cost isn't yor primary issue: the PS2 seems a great match for the car and the price thru Tirerack is not too bad.
Paul,
Thanks for the response. I am currently pricing a set of PS2's with my local dealer.

I have posed this question to another S2M5 owner but I'd welcome your opinion as well: did you stick with "stock size" on your PS's, or go larger? Any opinion on inflation pressures in my situation - usually 180# me driving alone, sometimes with 120# wife, less freq. with wife and two 120# daughters? Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
119 Posts
Paul,
Thanks for the response. I am currently pricing a set of PS2's with my local dealer.

I have posed this question to another S2M5 owner but I'd welcome your opinion as well: did you stick with "stock size" on your PS's, or go larger? Any opinion on inflation pressures in my situation - usually 180# me driving alone, sometimes with 120# wife, less freq. with wife and two 120# daughters? Thanks,
Tom
I am running stock sizes. Considered mounting a set of rear wheels on the front and running larger tires. My understanding is that you will need to run spacers and I wasn't that keen on doing that or the potential to increase tramlining on our rain grooved freeways in SOCAL. With the PS2s the understeer seems somewhat reduced and steering much more precise during hard cornering than my OE SP8080s. (caviet>have not had the PS2s the track yet). I am running my rear away bar in the stiffest position and am excited about taking the PS2s to an track event or autocross, very busy so will probably be next spring at Buttonwillow.

With the SP8080s I ussually used 35f/38r to 38f/40r. Tried max at 44f/44r and it got pretty jiggly and just put uneven wear on the center and not did use enough of the shoudler during cornering. I tend to favor keeping the ride reasonable and saw little benefit to the higher pressures, they didn't make much difference inresponce. Haven't played with the PS2s yet but so far happy with 35f/38r.

I definitely am not the expert but with track work you need to be more worried about hot pressure than cold pressure as you will relly heat them up/increase pressure. I have been told that the higher cold pressures are often more effective with some tires for autocrossing where you don't have a lap to heat up the tires and responce is at a premium.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I agree PS2s have done me fine.. but they'll quickly turn into ice skates on icy roads. You really have to switch tires for the winter or have a separate winter car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
SDImolaS2 said:
I am running stock sizes. Considered mounting a set of rear wheels on the front and running larger tires. My understanding is that you will need to run spacers and I wasn't that keen on doing that or the potential to increase tramlining on our rain grooved freeways in SOCAL. With the PS2s the understeer seems somewhat reduced and steering much more precise during hard cornering than my OE SP8080s. (caviet>have not had the PS2s the track yet). I am running my rear away bar in the stiffest position and am excited about taking the PS2s to an track event or autocross, very busy so will probably be next spring at Buttonwillow.

With the SP8080s I ussually used 35f/38r to 38f/40r. Tried max at 44f/44r and it got pretty jiggly and just put uneven wear on the center and not did use enough of the shoudler during cornering. I tend to favor keeping the ride reasonable and saw little benefit to the higher pressures, they didn't make much difference inresponce. Haven't played with the PS2s yet but so far happy with 35f/38r.

I definitely am not the expert but with track work you need to be more worried about hot pressure than cold pressure as you will relly heat them up/increase pressure. I have been told that the higher cold pressures are often more effective with some tires for autocrossing where you don't have a lap to heat up the tires and responce is at a premium.
Thanks, Paul.
Tom

21 - 24 of 24 Posts