BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best tire for my 2003 Dinan S2 M5? I live in NC where the weather is sometimes wet, rarely snowy / icy, almost always beautiful and sunny. I do not take my car to the track but I enjoy winding it out on the curve-filled country drive between my home and office every day. I also do a modest amount of high speed freeway driving.

At the risk of offending all of you power animals out there, frankly this machine is my testosterone-charged commuter! I usually drive with DSC on (so my front tires wear out first.) A judicious blend of performance, safety, and longevity would be my preference. I am currently running Dunlop SP Sport 8080 E 275/35 ZR18's in the rear, 245/40 ZR18's in the front.

On a similar topic, are the recommended inflation pressures embossed inside the driver's door the most appropriate for this car / these tires? As for the amount of weight transported, I am alone in the car about 75% of the time, accompanied by my family - 2 or 3 "normal sized" adult women the remaining 25% of the time. (Being from the land of deep fried snickers bars, let me quantify "normal weight::cheers: " I weigh 180#, they each weigh about 120#.) Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
Tom

·
Registered
797 Posts
Pilot Sport PS2s. Jeff :cheers:

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport 2 or Bridgestone Pole-Position S-03 are the two best options IMHO. I like to run the M5 with higher front tire pressure (41-44psi) then rear (39-41psi) as it lets the car become more neutral in its handling IMO. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have Dunlop 8080s on OE wheels that I'm using as a dedicated track setup (until I burn up the Dunlops and get better tires, hopefully that won't take too long). Anyway, I just took off the BBS/PSII combo and put on the OE/Dunlops to get ready for this weekend. BIG difference. PSIIs have tremendous stick. They're also fine in the rain.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
No matter what year the M5 is (all MY's wear the same OEM sizes) the best four or so avail are the Mich Pilot2, Bridgestone S03, Goodyear GS3 and Toyo Proxes T1S [although no one here on the board used them because no one has reviewed them well enough]

·
Registered
530 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
I followed the threads on the board and talked with several dealers about tire options. I settled on the Michelin Pilot PS2's for my 03. They are without a doubt the best choice for your beast! I saved about $200.00 by ordering them directly through Tire Rack and then had them dropped shipped to my installer.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I had the previous version of Pilot Sports on my 2001.
I was very surprised (pleasantly so) how well they gripped in our wet Northwest climate.
When they wore out at the 25K mark, I went with SO3s, since most reports (board members, Tire Rack) said they had even better performance in the wet.
I'm not having any problems with the SO3s, other than they seem to break loose until acceleration, causing the DSC to kick in.
If I had the choice today, I would go with the new PS2s, or maybe the Goodyear Eagles. I think SuretyAgent has the new Goodyears, and maybe he could share his opinion about those.

Best,
Bert

·
Registered
12,776 Posts
RennSportSC'dKellenersM5 said:
No matter what year the M5 is (all MY's wear the same OEM sizes) the best four or so avail are the Mich Pilot2, Bridgestone S03, Goodyear GS3 and Toyo Proxes T1S [although no one here on the board used them because no one has reviewed them well enough]
As long as you have a second set of wheels for winter driving if snow is an issue, I agree with RennSportSC'dKellenersM5 (Rob, you definitely need a shorter handle :typing: ), although I would rate the GS3 a close second to the PS2's.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
797 Posts
gsfent said:
...winter driving if snow is an issue...
I find that using Pilot Sport A/S on 18 inch wheels works reasonably well in snow up to 3 inches in depth. Anything deeper than that, you need to switch to 17 inch wheels :nono: or drive something else or just stay home until the snow melts and you can drive your beast again. :haha:

Jeff :cheers:

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
THis is one of those things where everybody could say somthing different. Everybody has different driving habbits and driving eperiences.

I run Yokohama Avs Sports in NC too I like um a good bit.

Heres some suggestions to check out, the "best" of the "new".

Toyo T1-s (as above)
Goodyear gs-d3
Pirelli p zero corso
Pirelli P zero (sorry forgot the name) but it's above the rosso's its italian for black just check tirerack.com
Then old favs for most people are
Mich pilot sports
Bridgestone s03
Stock tires as well some like.

Theres alot out there offering alot of different things you have to ask your self what do you want?

Handling?
Tire wear?
Off the line traction?
etc.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I swapped the OEM Dunlops on my M5 for Pilot Sports (the 2 was not yet out) and I thought it was like getting a new car. The Dunlops are not very good IMHO. I think any of the tires suggested will be an improvement.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yokohama AVS ES100. Best dry and wet weather tire I have ever used. Best of all they are not too expensive. However, they are directional, but man do they grab the road. One minor thing about them, if you have roads with a lot of channels from 18 wheelers, they do tend to track them noticably. It can be irritating and quite a suprise the first time. That might be the one downside.

SO far they are wearing extremly well. Nice strong sidewall with a good protector for the wheel rims. It's been pretty wet here for us and not once did the car hydroplane with them.

They are not too loud, but they say that might change as they wear down the treads towards the end of their life.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I like the Toyo T1-S that I've had on the M5 for a year now. They are priced very reasonably, perform very well, and come in slightly larger sizes if you choose to go that route. I have 255's in front and 285's in back, on BBS rims that are .5" wider than stock and no clearance issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MEnthusiast said:
I swapped the OEM Dunlops on my M5 for Pilot Sports (the 2 was not yet out) and I thought it was like getting a new car. The Dunlops are not very good IMHO. I think any of the tires suggested will be an improvement.
Jerry,
Did you stick with the same size, or go larger? Do you have an opinion on tire pressure. Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you have a M5 mit S2 your car deserves nothing less than the Michelin PS2s.

I have had mine one week and they are a large improvement over the original SP8080s that were on the car. Better turn in, much more precise steering responce under load, better grip. So far they are at least as quiet and don't tramline at all. They are perhaps a tiny bit firmer riding but miniscule reduction compared to the handling improvement.

It's not a direct comparison but my 98 M3/4a is running Toyo T1Ss. I am happy with them, they have good grip, are quiet so far and ride well. There was a percetible reduction in steering responce/precision compared to the Pilot Sports I had on the car previously, however the Toyo are smoother riding and quieter.

M3 with Pilot sports was much more nimble than the M5 (S2) with SP8080s. The M5 with PS2s actually feels a little more nimble and than the M3 with Toyo. I can't imagine how sharp the M3 would handle with the PS2s....

If you want plush tire the T1S is a great choice and they are on sale. Locally I could have got them for $770 including mounted/balance/tax which is a great deal. I hear the handling perks up at higher than stock tire pressure but haven't played with that yet. Haven't tried the new Goodyears but sounds like they are fairly comparable or slightly better.

However if performance without any substancial compromise is your game and cost isn't yor primary issue: the PS2 seems a great match for the car and the price thru Tirerack is not too bad.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Check out the latest eurotuner. they did a tire test on all the best and the PS2 was ranked best.

However, I think the BFG KD is a better dry tire with good wet performance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts