BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:1zhelp::1zhelp:What do you think? My 20” DPE Signature Series S10’s should be ready in about 3 weeks and I need to pick tires. The front will be 20x9 and the rear 20x10.5.

For the brand, I believe there are four companies to choose from, Continental, Michelin, Pirelli and Yokohama. I favor the Pirelli’s and the Conti’s are last on my list. In terms of performance and price they all seem similar. What tire will last the longest? For some of you that have these tires, how is the road noise and ride?
<O:p
Size…??? It’s seems that many of the board members with 20’s have 305 for the rears. I’ve been told that 305’s will rub unless you have spacers. Is the correct? Spacers are something I definitely want to stay away from. What I dislike is the rounded look when a tire is too small for the wheel. Even though it popular in Europe. Wheel veterans, what do you recommend?:dunno::1zhelp::confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm riding on P Zero Nero, love them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In term of picking the "right" tyres it's up to you personally. But think the wider the wheel are the lower will the tireprofile be and a 20-25 profile is too low if you ask me, often is the comfort effected when you ride on that small profile. But this is just a pointer not a recomendation. How are the roads where you live?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In term of picking the "right" tyres it's up to you personally. But think the wider the wheel are the lower will the tireprofile be and a 20-25 profile is too low if you ask me, often is the comfort effected when you ride on that small profile. But this is just a pointer not a recomendation. How are the roads where you live?
I live in So Cal so the roads are fair. Your right 20 series is way too rough of a ride. Thanks.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went a bit conservative and am very happy

F 245/35/20
R 285/30/20
Thats larger tires than the stocks. I think for 20's I'll go with something a little more aggressive than the factory specs. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Also could consider Falken F452's in 275/305 fitments as well as Toyo T1R's. Someone here just got the latter in 315's in the rear (dammit, can't remember which memberouich). Very anxious to hear his thoughts on those.

As far as rubbing, I think the M6 guys have less of a problem with that and 305's b/c of the wider rear wheel well. Spacers will just make that problem worse.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also could consider Falken F452's in 275/305 fitments as well as Toyo T1R's. Someone here just got the latter in 315's in the rear (dammit, can't remember which memberouich). Very anxious to hear his thoughts on those.

As far as rubbing, I think the M6 guys have less of a problem with that and 305's b/c of the wider rear wheel well. Spacers will just make that problem worse.
Uhhh... your right spacers should make the problem worse. 315's, wow I bet the car looks mean from behind. 305's should be fine for me long as it doesn't rub.??? Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Uhhh... your right spacers should make the problem worse. 315's, wow I bet the car looks mean from behind. 305's should be fine for me long as it doesn't rub.??? Thanks for the reply.
Don't recall ever hearing any M6 guys having problems with 305's and rubbing. The M5, on the other hand, rubs with large dips/uneven roads at speed (at least, that's my experience).

·
Registered
319 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Don't recall ever hearing any M6 guys having problems with 305's and rubbing. The M5, on the other hand, rubs with large dips/uneven roads at speed (at least, that's my experience).
That's right, no rubbing issue in the m6 with 305 on the rear.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
386 Posts
I got 255x30 and 305x25 tires on my HRE 897r's (20's) and they are great. The only problem is this is about 1 inch smaller than stock rolling diameter which will create a gap in the well which some may deem unsightly. These tires are about 26 inches in diameter depending on the tire you choose versus 27 inches on the stockers. Yokos are talled than Contis by .1 to .2 inches.

If you want to go from stock to 20's and keep the same diameter then the 255x35 and 285x30 set up is better. You are actually ok with the 285's on a 10.5 inch rear but if you go 11's than 295 or 305's are better but I have yet to find a 295x30 or 305x30 tire in a 20 inch format.

As for tires, my first choice was PS2's but they are not offered in the 305x25 setup so I went with Advan Sports from Yoko, a pricey tire with less life but tested to speeds over 180 mph denoted by the parentheses around the load numbers (eg 96Y or 98Y). Only the Pirellis match this speed testing on the 305x25x20 tires. You can go PS2's 255x30 and 295x25's though and they are speed rated like the Yokos and Pirellis.

I generally run my M6 daily over speeds of 170 mph so I couldnt take a chance on the Contis or others. This is my preference and others may vary but safety first. The tires may wear out quicker but I wont take a chance on a blow out at that speed for safety and to preserve my wheels.

If your wheels have not gone into production see if you can push the rears to 20x11....as IMO this is the optimal width for the rear with the 305 tire.

Here is a pic of my wheel with the 255x30x20 tire and as you can see even with the car dropped by Hartge springs there is still a gap. I can drop it more but that would be with coils and the EDC would be lost. The car actually looks fine with these wheels since the lips are so big.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
VicM5,

Thanks for all the info. I see that you got the Vorsteiner front lip spoiler... sweet. I ordered the same spoiler along with the hood. I'll take your advice into consideration. Thanks.:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
386 Posts
VicM5,

Thanks for all the info. I see that you got the Vorsteiner front lip spoiler... sweet. I ordered the same spoiler along with the hood. I'll take your advice into consideration. Thanks.:M5thumbs:

I think the M6 has an incomplete front fascia (down low) and the Vorsteiner definitely helps in that category.

I am in the OC so let me know when your around. There is a pretty big BMW meet on Saturday in Brea too.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think the M6 has an incomplete front fascia (down low) and the Vorsteiner definitely helps in that category.

I am in the OC so let me know when your around. There is a pretty big BMW meet on Saturday in Brea too.
Uh really, I've been to Cars and Coffee in Irvine. Have you been there? Where is this BMW meet at?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Uh really, I've been to Cars and Coffee in Irvine. Have you been there? Where is this BMW meet at?

Here is a link off MBWorld but there are several forums involved. We are meeting at Lucilles off the 57 at 845am so we can get good parking spots. I have been to C&C once but not with my rides... its damn early :)

Click Here for the ALT Wheels Miro Design Meet

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is a link off MBWorld but there are several forums involved. We are meeting at Lucilles off the 57 at 845am so we can get good parking spots. I have been to C&C once but not with my rides... its damn early :)

Click Here for the ALT Wheels Miro Design Meet

Ya, C&C is real early. My buddy has a 997TT and he like that one. Only been to C&C once. I guess its kind of cool.
Can't make the meet on the 23rd. My cars in the shop getting the springs and exhaust installed. Maybe the next one.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts