BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I can’t contain my thoughts about owning an e34 M5. I was looking to get one but was slacking and now children are taking up a large portion of expenses right now (among other things). So I will be getting one in a few years but just can’t stop thinking about them!

Please post your best thoughts about your m5 or things you love about the car, also the more stories the better. Maybe it will get my mind off it for a bit, I have the itch bad!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
So many possibilities, but for me the answer is clear.

It's both a family car you can potter about in, and a thoroughbread sports car when you need it to be. the E34 is just unbelievably nimble for a family saloon. It's the only car you will ever need......

·
Registered
169 Posts
This is best answered with a story, but I fear it will work against your desire to get your mind off the car. For disclosure purposes mine is not stock, and I hadn't driven it with any regularity since April, but barring those variables I feel my sentiments would remain the same.

On Saturday I had the simple task of moving the M5 from the driveway to the garage after doing some work to the interior. Since each turn of the key is preceded by a heightened sense of anticipation, heart rate increased from normal, it is a trying exercise in self-control to execute such a task in the most efficient way possible. As soon as I reversed I knew I would be going forward, just not into the garage. I believe it took about twenty minutes to get from the starting point to the final destination mere feet away, with no less than three opportunities to make the sensible choice and go home foregone in favor of prolonging the journey. I asked myself why any self-control was needed and why going home was the sensible choice when those things would go against the very purpose of the M5, which is to lift you up when so much in this world brings you down, and to do so via a raw, unfiltered, undiluted motoring experience finding greater scarcity in modern times. One journey in the M5 can have moments of true euphoria if you wish there to be, stimulating every sense except perhaps that of taste. That is the M5. That is one story. There are more, but they will have to wait for another time.

·
Registered
152 Posts
This is best answered with a story, but I fear it will work against your desire to get your mind off the car. For disclosure purposes mine is not stock, and I hadn't driven it with any regularity since April, but barring those variables I feel my sentiments would remain the same.

On Saturday I had the simple task of moving the M5 from the driveway to the garage after doing some work to the interior. Since each turn of the key is preceded by a heightened sense of anticipation, heart rate increased from normal, it is a trying exercise in self-control to execute such a task in the most efficient way possible. As soon as I reversed I knew I would be going forward, just not into the garage. I believe it took about twenty minutes to get from the starting point to the final destination mere feet away, with no less than three opportunities to make the sensible choice and go home foregone in favor of prolonging the journey. I asked myself why any self-control was needed and why going home was the sensible choice when those things would go against the very purpose of the M5, which is to lift you up when so much in this world brings you down, and to do so via a raw, unfiltered, undiluted motoring experience finding greater scarcity in modern times. One journey in the M5 can have moments of true euphoria if you wish there to be, stimulating every sense except perhaps that of taste. That is the M5. That is one story. There are more, but they will have to wait for another time.
Totally agree.
My short story is:

I went out for a Saturday mountain drive (just driving, no other purpose) and about 250 km from home I decided that it was time to go back.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It is generally easy to fix since I have owned E12/E28s before owning my M5. I don't have to deal with CANBUS like I do on my E38 which can be difficult to narrow down where the problem lies. It is a fun car, but with enough modernization to not make it feel antique.

·
Registered
213 Posts
1. It's the perfect mix of modern and analog. Modern enough to eliminate annoyances of vintage car, but analog enough that you can dig in yourself to diagnose and fix problems.

2. Arguably the first modern BMW design, but transitionary from the classic round headlights. E39 onwards saw the shift to covered headlights, and the rear tail lights were the first of the L-shaped (technically E32). The style is timeless, and only looks better with age.

3. Perfect size. Not too cramped like an E30, not too large like modern bimmers. The new 3 Series for comparison is only an inch or two shorter I think, and wider.

4. Heritage. S38 is the down-tuned descendent of the M88, one of the greatest M engines made. E34 M5 is handbuilt in Garching's M factory.

5. Rawness of the driving experience. It's not a canyon carver, but loves to be pushed, especially above 70mph. Steering feels more intimate than modern electronic PS.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So many reasons for why I love my M5. I could make a list and spend hours on it but it’s best to spend that time driving or wrenching on my beloved. Just go drive one! I mean really drive one. Put a few hundred miles on it.
Then you will understand.

·
Registered
93 Posts
First off walking out to get in it every time puts a smile on face. I daily my e34 and absolutely love it. I drive 2 hours to work and it’s a blast on the interstate, normal driving and of course spirited driving. You can haul 4 adults comfortably and still have a car that’s fun to drive. Can’t go wrong with one. I have 3 of them. E28, e34 and e39. They are just spectacular driving machines.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm the original owner of a '93 M5 with 56.7k miles. Recently posted a question about potential value but apparently the moderator didn't like it.

My list of best things about the M5:

1. The feeling of total control and world domination on the road.
2. The silky gear shifts.
3. The sound, especially full throttle going up a hill in a canyon with the windows open.
4. The steering feedback makes you feel connected to the road like nothing I've ever driven.
5. Knowing you have a product which is IMHO the pinnacle of quality performance.
6. It makes me smile every time I get in it!

When I bought my M5 new in April 1993, a "free" 3-day trip to Germany was included for a visit to the Motorsport factory in Garching including meeting the guy who assembled my unit, then driving the (then) new M3 to Nurburgring for driver training and two trips around the track, once as a passenger and once as the driver. That was an experience I recall every time I fire it up.

Bill

P.S. I'm considering selling and wonder which of the following you guys recommend? (If the moderator doesn't delete me again).

1. Autotrader
2. BaT
3. eBay

·
Registered
509 Posts
Extremely itchy like super dry winter skin and chicken pox combined!
Well, mine is possibly available, let me know if you are interested...:wink

It's been a daily driver for 5 years, pretty much sorted and reliable. Check my profile for pics...

Getting new tires right now...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unfortunately I won’t be in the market for one for about 5 years.

A lot of debts will be paid off then (childcare, 2 daily drivers, student loans, PMI insurance).

Definitely can’t do it right now otherwise I would and this thread wouldn’t exist.

·
Registered
71 Posts
There are many benefits of using BaT for a sale - the community can provide lots of feedback on the condition of the car, as well as free "hype"/advertising. As with any car of this vintage, the records of care & maintenance (the "pedigree") count the most. Since you were the original purchaser, and have kept the car for this long, you likely have many good stories about what works/what's been fixed, as well has memories that the average 4-owner (mine is 8-owner) just won't have.

My best recommendation is to set a reserve-price you can live with... Most of the comments from potential buyers, especially previous owners, seem to regretful of selling their M5. Best of luck with your sale, if you choose to pursue it. If it's on BaT, I'll be watching for it (have a filter for E34 M5's...) :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
The induction noise and the leather sport seats that you can tell are actual leather. #3 and #4 are the classic sedan lines and all of the cool colors offered on the M5.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts