BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just wanted to see what you guys use to remove stratches. Ive tried mothers and meguiars and im interested to hear what you guys think is the best product out their.
Thanks Will

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Thats a very vague question and it has an answer which depends on an opinion :)

Different products work in their own ways, even if the results will be more or less the same, so there is no real "best", but what people will think its the best for them.

Help me helping you:

1. Do you mean swirls or scratches?

2. Do you have a photo of the scratch?

3. Can your nail catch the scratch?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I like MeGuires products (mostly) and they have (or had) a line of polishes by number, the lower the number the more aggressive it was.

Griot's Garage also has a numbering system (1-4) for his polishes, which I have bought but haven't yet had a need to use. His stuff is usually quite excellent.

Both solutions require an electric polisher to work properly. You can cause some serious damage to your paint if you are not careful. Practice on your girlfriend's Toyota first... ;)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
That question as stated and also echoed is vague. Those products like scratchex etc basicaslly just fill the scratch/abrasion and the next rain or wash its back. They do not remove the scratch.

The polishes and compounding is how you remove the scratches but you'd need to determined as stated how deep it is by using the fingernail technique. You can do this polishing yourself but I would not recommend going full out with an orbital polisher you will have a good chance of burning the paint. If you do determine the scratches are minor and you want to try doing the work buy a dual action orbital polisher. This wont give you the cut that an orbital will but also wont burn the paint or make you FUBAR your paint. If the scratches are deep but not caught by your fingernail the next option is wet sand and THAT is definitely for the professional.

There are a number of detail sites out there and I believe someone has a detailed post on how to detail the e39. My best advice is to read, watch and absorb as much as you can. Its not a difficult effort but it can go wrong VERY quickly if you don't know what your doing.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Scratch

The best news about this scratch is that it gives you an excuse for a full wash, polish and wax. As stated above there are a few products out there but most large auto forums have a thread just for exterior maintenance (from experience try mustangforums.com) that give particular examples.

Compounds, waxes and associated products fit into the category of "you get what you pay for" so don't be afraid to spend a little dough as you will re-use most of the products over and over. I would agree that an orbital buffer will make your job much easier.

GL

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
For minor scuffs on my non-Zaino'd cars, I use Maguire's Scratch-X. For my Zaino'd cars I use Zaino Z-PC. If I can feel the scratch, I get professional help!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats a very vague question and it has an answer which depends on an opinion :)

Different products work in their own ways, even if the results will be more or less the same, so there is no real "best", but what people will think its the best for them.

Help me helping you:

1. Do you mean swirls or scratches?

2. Do you have a photo of the scratch?

3. Can your nail catch the scratch?

I am sorry asking such a vague question. I dont mean swirls I mean scratches which are mostly near the trunk area which I believe are from lugging things in and out of the trunk. My nail catches slightly on some of them. I have already tried polishing them out with some menzerna polish but I wanted to know what you guys use for minor scratches not swirls.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For minor scuffs on my non-Zaino'd cars, I use Maguire's Scratch-X. For my Zaino'd cars I use Zaino Z-PC. If I can feel the scratch, I get professional help!

I used Maguires scratch x yesterday on some of the smaller scratches and it seemed to work pretty well. I am wondering when I will wash it today if the scratches will be revealed again. After using meguires,when you wash it do they reappear again??

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I am sorry asking such a vague question. I dont mean swirls I mean scratches which are mostly near the trunk area which I believe are from lugging things in and out of the trunk. My nail catches slightly on some of them. I have already tried polishing them out with some menzerna polish but I wanted to know what you guys use for minor scratches not swirls.
Please take a picture :)

You say that you have tried some menzerna polish. Can you say which one, with what pad and what speed setting (I assume you use a orbital machine)? How many hits and what was your working time?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I used Maguires scratch x yesterday on some of the smaller scratches and it seemed to work pretty well. I am wondering when I will wash it today if the scratches will be revealed again. After using meguires,when you wash it do they reappear again??
Yes they will its just a filler.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
PAINT

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Should NOT, assuming the scratch was minor. This product is a mild abrasive cleaner and will polish light scratches and scuffs out, not fill them. If you can feel the scratch with your nail, Scratch-X will only diminish the visibility of the scratch rather than remove it.

Meguiar's Direct ScratchX® 2.0

1 - 12 of 12 Posts