BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the launch control methods for the SMG trying to pick up some hints but what would you all assume the best combination be for the manual transmission? Specifically for the traction control setting & the EDC setting? I'm thinking M-Dynamic mode & no lights on the EDC so I can get a squat in the rear shocks off the line.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've read the launch control methods for the SMG trying to pick up some hints but what would you all assume the best combination be for the manual transmission? Specifically for the traction control setting & the EDC setting? I'm thinking M-Dynamic mode & no lights on the EDC so I can get a squat in the rear shocks off the line.
I have heard the suspension setting argument so many different ways that it is mind numbing... and frankly it comes down to the driver. Try both ways... firmest and softest and compare your 60' times, and 1/4 times. Then you will see if you get a quicker hole-shot or a better ET. Nearly every racer I have spoken to (well, most of them are all autocross that go to the drag strip for fun but tune their cars more for the track) has little variation in their 1/4 mile times... but the suspension does change their hole shot (60' times).

I think it comes down to two driver traits: if you floor it and hope for the best, the soft transmission setting will help you because the "squat" will transfer more weight to the rear and help abate the loss of traction. The self-proclaimed "smarter" dragsters try to perfect their launch with minimal wheelspin so they practice, practice, practice to find their optimal launch RPM. These guys typically prefer the stiffest suspension setting because there is less variability while developing their launch technique.

It becomes significantly more involved as you start modifying your car for drag racing in specific... so it is difficult to offer a clear answer. I have stated my opinion assuming you are keeping the car relatively stock. If you put on specific drag radials and wheels, use tire adhesives and start putting major modifications in... the suspension advice changes drastically. the more traction you have, the less you need the squat transition... the more torque you add (in gearing, forced induction, race fuels, etc) the more you will need the squat transition. So there is a balance between the two. In general, the more wheelspin you get, the slower your holeshot and launch are... but the higher the RPM is once your traction "hooks-up". To abate wheelspin, you can use a softer setting and rely more on torque effect... or you can learn to more precisely apply power and use the firmest setting. The advantage of a firmer setting comes in after first gear. The squat effect works against you as it is a slower energy dissipation through the remainder of your shifts (I would guess you will only be in 4th as you cross a quarter mile marker... unless you modify your final drive ratio / rear differential).

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I would say DSC off, suspension to the soft settings, full M mode and launch around 3500 RPM. Hopefully the track is well prepped and sticky, and you should hook up. I have an SMG so that is not coming from experience, just my thoughts.

I do know I ran a 0.1 sec faster in the 1/4 mile with softer suspension settings than the hard settings (due to faster 60'). This was after many runs also.

·
Registered
279 Posts
M6Cabrio,

Out of curiosity, what 1/4 times and trap speed are you getting? I never got into drag racing much, but never really thought of what our M6s can do... Our car isn't one of the traditional platforms chosen to begin a highly modified build for drag racing, though the engine is certainly strong.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
M6Cabrio,

Out of curiosity, what 1/4 times and trap speed are you getting? I never got into drag racing much, but never really thought of what our M6s can do... Our car isn't one of the traditional platforms chosen to begin a highly modified build for drag racing, though the engine is certainly strong.
I have a cabrio so a coupe should expect 0.5 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile. But I ran a consistent 12.5-12.6 with 1.9 60' times and a trap of 113-116.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Once again, why the hell does one feel the need to pound on clutches and tires with launch control to gain sooo little speed and time ??? These aren't dragsters.... Just wondering.....

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Once again, why the hell does one feel the need to pound on clutches and tires with launch control to gain sooo little speed and time ??? These aren't dragsters.... Just wondering.....
Well, LC doesn't gain you any time...but with that said, if it did...I would do it. When people have cars they want them to perform the best possible way. If that means gaining half a second so be it :) That is what makes life fun :applause:

·
8,369 Posts
Great question.

Its because we always want to know what our beast can do and capable of doing.

Because its fun.

Because its always good to explore and try something new.

Similar to other people asking - "I am satisfied with missionary position, so why do you guys try other positions?"

LOL!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts