BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're firing up GA25388's engine after 9 years of storage on the weekend.

We've pulled the sump off , cleaned that out, the oil pump screen and cleaned inside the block.

We want to run the engine for 200 to 250kms on the first batch of oil to flush everything out.

What's a good grade of oil for this ?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Blend of diesel oil (15W40 Shell Rimula for argument's sake) + ATF.

Yes you read that right - about 25% of the total volume ATF mixed in the engine oil.

I know the S38 doesnt have those, but I have managed to "save" noisy hydraulic lifters this way on 3 different engines. It cleans exceptionally well. And although really thin, boundary lubrication properties of ATF is excellent.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blend of diesel oil (15W40 Shell Rimula for argument's sake) + ATF.

Yes you read that right - about 25% of the total volume ATF mixed in the engine oil.

I know the S38 doesnt have those, but I have managed to "save" noisy hydraulic lifters this way on 3 different engines. It cleans exceptionally well. And although really thin, boundary lubrication properties of ATF is excellent.
We went for 15W40 Rimula X and half a litre of ATF , I was uncomfortable using 25%

M5 was driven for 160kms and then we dropped the oil , it's black.

There was mild surface corrosion inside the block and we cleaned off what we could and the oil change has flushed out a lot more and the filter caught a lot of it. Very small grit sized particle of rust.

We're going to do a second oil flush before we put the expensive oil in.

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have done this ATF thing to numerous engines and have never had any trouble.

I just take it easy while the ATF is in there by limiting myself to 3000 RPM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts