BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did a few searches and came up with a seemingly good product to protect the rear seat surface of my E39 if I were to put a 5-point forward facing child seat in it.

Car Seat Protector for Upholstrey - One Step Ahead Baby

But I was not able to find the best fitting child seat recommendation. Is the BMW child seat the best one to buy or are there better choices out there for quality and most importantly proper fitment, since the E39 rear seat is actually not all that roomy?

My son is 15 months now so likely this seat would take him up to 65 lbs or 80 lbs depending on the brand.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I thought as long as it connected to the vehicle using ISOFIX/LATCH points most seats were fairly well fitting. I found a thread discussing seat protectors and it included some pics of an owner using a Britax car seat. http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/136326-bmw-child-seat-protector.html

Britax seats get pretty good reviews too. Baby Car Seats & Child Booster Seats - Seat Reviews & Free Shipping

I myself am eying the RECARO product line, as my wife is finishing her second trimester with our first. I've heard a lot of good things about their child seats. RECARO: RECARO ProRIDE

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
We used Britax Boulevards for both of my girls. After a ton of research I decided that the Boulevard was the best combo of build quality and safety. It's ridiculous how much better the little things like the LATCH latches and straps are on Britax stuff than on the competition; it's definitely an example of getting what you pay for. A new one will set you back around $275 or so but is well worth it, IMO. Too bad you're not closer, I'm about to sell the one my older daughter just grew out of. (I replaced it with a Recaro booster seat.)

BTW, I used that exact seat protector, but honestly I'd probably just use a black towel if I had to do it over again. Those "non-slip" bottoms wreak havoc on leather and if you use all 3 points of the LATCH system that seat barely moves so there's no point to the non-slip feature anyway. They're nice for rear facing seats since they keep little feet off of the seat back, but for forward facing they're pointless.

BOULEVARD 70 CS - Car Seats - Britax USA

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I have a one-month old; but, i'm using the Britax and the quality is outstanding. So, a vote for the Britax name, here.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
For up to 3 1/2 years the Maxi Cosi Prorifix is excellent and has one of the top safety ratings. Not sure if this is available in the US.

Maxi-Cosi | Priorifix

I've found that the ISOFIX mountings on the right side of the back seat are quite hard to use due to the adult belt mountion points.

One of the best seat protecters is the Prince LionHeart Stage 2 seat saver. Prince Lionheart Two-Stage Seatsaver: Amazon.co.uk: Baby pretty sure this is available worldwide.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Have used the Recaro brand for 3 years now for our kids. Awesome reputation, look, comfort and...hell, its recaro's :)

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I use the seat protectors WITHOUT the no slip stuff underneath for the exact reason mentioned by VacMan.

I would look for one without the no-slip stuff because they are better then a towel. with a towel if the seat has any kind of feet they will press into the leather and leave marks. the seat protectors have a think padding that the seat digs into and protects the leather. we used a towel at first in my wifes car and it left indentations (the eventually went away because we only used the seat for a few weeks this way) but with the seat protector we have no indentations and the leather looks great. the trick is to get the ones without the rubber no slip.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I too used the Recaro seat for my daughter in the M5... great safety and a great look as well. :checkeredflag:

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
For up to 3 1/2 years the Maxi Cosi Prorifix is excellent and has one of the top safety ratings.
We are in need of a new seat for the not-so-tiny-anymore Jessica. I was about to buy a Maxi Cosi for her first seat before being very kindly gifted a different one (a good, safe one or it wouldn't have been used). I'd looked at plenty before being given one and the Maxi Cosi ones seemed well made and received very good safety ratings.

That one you have linked to looks superb; you've probably just saved me a lot of looking, thank you.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My wife's SUV has the Britax Marathon and we tried fitting that in to my E39 and it was a HUGE P.I.T.A! The clips barely reach the anchors and the seat itself is too long and hits the back of the front seat. My wife used it in my car while I was travelling on business for a week and I shudder at the thought of the permanent indents that it would have put in my seats if left in any longer. That is why I was almost wondering if the BMW seats are a perfect fit... but I don't imagine that is the best seat for the price.

The Lionheart protector and Recaro seat combo are intruguing though... wonder if the Recaro seats would fit a bucket type rear seats which our E39s have... vs the flatter seats in my wife's SUV which are well suited to the Britax Marathon since it is a substantial seat.

Thanks for the continued feedback everyone...

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9550/5.0.0.320 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Any quality 5 point seat will be huge. Its the price you pay for safety. We have a cheap Cosco one we traveled with and I cringed putting her in it. Smaller form factor but seems like a much higher likelihood of injuries in an accident.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9550/5.0.0.320 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Thinking about it a booster/5 point combo would do the trick. The Recaro booster I bought fits very nicely and doesn't have the huge base that the Britax does. Check them out. I think Britax makes one too.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the Recaro ProSport in my M5. We have a Britax (Boulevard, I think?) in the wife's SUV. I'm a huge fan of the Recaro. The Britax is nice - but it's HUGE (fits well in an Expedition, though...)

As far as protectors go - be sure to buy a quality seat back protector for the front seats. My daughter could easily reach my seat back as soon as she was put in a forward facing seat. And once they start kicking - good luck getting them to stop. My only solution is to remove her shoes when she starts kicking :)

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I went into the garage and snapped a pic of the Recaro in the back seat of my car. Sorry for the crap quality but you get the idea. Plenty of legroom and it doesn't have the huge base underneath it. The backrest is also 3 position adjustable to fit the angle of the seatback.

I forgot we had one of those Lionheart protectors, too. Check out the permanent dents from one of the Britax's in it. It's been out of the van for at least a month. Looking at that makes me agree with Lugnuts that a protector is definitely better than just a towel. :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
Britax Roundabout for the 3 year old and Britax Frontier for the 6 year old. They're not tiny, but they fit well and all I hear from the boys is "Drive faster dad."

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Just wanted to update the thread with my experiences:

I looked at Maxi Cosi, Recaro and Brittax seats. I really liked the Recaro Young Expert; it looked safe and very comfortable but we could not get it fitted securely in the car. This seat uses a different method of fixing to the other Recaro seats; the front part of the seat backrest folds out and the seatbelt goes around the rear of the seat. While it felt secure in a forward / backward direction, it could easily be rotated. We tried in a couple of cars and it we could not get it to seat securely. The Brittax seats all appeared well padded and comfortable.

The choice came down to a Recaro Young Sport and the Maxi Cosi range. Close call, but I slightly preferred the Maxi Cosi seats and bought a Tobi. Great safety ratings and it passed the first test; Jessica fell asleep on the way home. It is not an Isofix seat but is relatively straight forward to fit and is very secure when in. £155 from Halfords.

Reactions: havasusteve03Beast
1 - 20 of 33 Posts