BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Monaco Blue E60 M5 on order, and am already contemplating mods (this board is dangerous!). Since Monaco is VERY dark (almost looks black in certain light), I'm wondering what mods people have made that really enhance the appearance of dark-colored E60 beasts.

BTW, I've searched and studied the archives quite extensively, so I think I already have an idea what many of the potential mods are - I'd just like some opinions of the first things you guys would recommend...

First, let me tell you what I already have in mind. I already bought the Hartge front spoiler and rear skirt (just needs to be painted & installed when the car arrives). Since I'm not planning to get new wheels/tires (I actually really like the stock M5 wheels), I'm thinking the first additional mod should be lowering the car a bit (I think that will enhance the Hartge trim and give the car a meaner stance overall). Because my wife will be a frequent driver, however, the Dinan Stage 1 suspension package seems like the best--provides some lowering but still retains a near-factory (i.e., smooth) ride. (I've read that H&R and other springs make the ride considerably rougher than stock.) Any comments/suggestions on that?

The other mods that appeal to me as great bang-for-the-buck are the Dinan rear (3.91) diff (to increase low-end torque), and possibly Dinan exhaust (I've got it on my X5 and LOVE the sound of their exhaust systems!).

Any input - on these or other mods - is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
all sounds good !! but you should
1).tint the windows
2).get stage 2 sus sway bars make a big difference
3).get 10mm spacers for stock wheels (turnermotorsports) to fill out the wheel wells
4)dinan rear diff is a must for low end power(best mod i did)
5)angel i brights (ver 2.0)

and thats about the gist of it the rest is up to you to make your beast look unique.

neil..

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Lets see....

I think you are on the right track. I have the Hartge front lip spoiler and to me, it equals lowering the car as the best cosmetic enhancement. From a performance standpoint, (after removing the charcoal filters ofcourse) I would certainly consider the 3.91 diff as it adds some nice grunt down low.

The exhaust is a nice idea as well but don't let video clips fool you / convince you on how an exhaust sounds in person. Do your homework and try to hear the exhaust that you are considering in person...unlike me and now I am on my 2nd aftermarket exhaust.

Edit: I doubt your wife will notice a ride change if you go with the H&R springs. My wife did not notice (she drives the beast a lot) a ride change until I put 20" wheels on and that was a couple months after the springs

Cheers ///

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
I think I remember some others have said the RD Sport springs are not as stiff as the H&R's, so you may want to consider these.

Definitely get the Hartge front lip. I've said it before, but the front end has always seemed incomplete. Also consider the Hartge rear diffuser. Something I should have purchased in retrospect when I had the other mods done.

CF or blacked out kidney grills for a more sinister front view.

·
Registered
605 Posts
sounds like a good list...

If you are going to keep the stock wheels, pick up some spacer after you lower it to fill out the wheel wells and it should look much better!

Go for the Dinan stage 2 suspension, won't affect the ride in anyway, but it will handle 10X better and its not much more money than the stage 1!!
Evan

·
Registered
354 Posts
#1 Remove Secondary Filters (I never realized how far zero dollars could go).

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
I think you will find yourself gravitating toward either cosmetic or performance mods. As soon as I started taking my car to the track (e.g., see http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=90259), my priorities shifted almost entirely toward the performance end.

The Dinan Stage 2 suspension does, indeed, make a big difference in handling, eliminates understeer (because it is not just a set of lowering springs), compromises ride quality less than the other spring kits, and results in a slightly lowered appearance.

An aftermarket exhaust is a great addition. You just need to make sure the one you get has the volume and tone that appeals to you. It is not hard to get very loud, very quickly with some setups that are available.

I am having the 3.91 diff installed next week.

As for lips, swoops, skirts, etc., I decided to pass because I don't want to pay for extra weight and less ground clearance. Some of them do look very nice, however.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I have to admit I am a bit confused. You guys basically talked me out of the Stae 2 becuase of the ride quality, but it seems from the responses here that people don't think there will be a big change in ride quality. Now I don't know what to do! Sway bars or Stage 2. Help me . . .

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
i say just sways cause when you lower a car it gets a little bouncy .. i drove dino car a cople of times this week and i feel it was too bouncy..my opinion

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
andrewsherman said:
I have to admit I am a bit confused. You guys basically talked me out of the Stae 2 becuase of the ride quality, but it seems from the responses here that people don't think there will be a big change in ride quality. Now I don't know what to do! Sway bars or Stage 2. Help me . . .
Andrew --

The advantage of the Dinan system is that it is engineered with the typical Dinan priority of preserving a decent street ride. On the EDC scale of our cars, the Stage 2 -- at most -- firms the ride by maybe one-half notch. Those with the more aggressive springs have described a full notch difference (e.g., "comfort" feels like "normal"). You do have some terrible roads with which to deal, so your decision is not a no-brainer, but I hope the above helps.

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Congratulations on the car, we are lookign forward to see what might be the first member with a Moncao Blue BMW M5.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
MRichmond said:
Andrew --

The advantage of the Dinan system is that it is engineered with the typical Dinan priority of preserving a decent street ride. On the EDC scale of our cars, the Stage 2 -- at most -- firms the ride by maybe one-half notch. Those with the more aggressive springs have described a full notch difference (e.g., "comfort" feels like "normal"). You do have some terrible roads with which to deal, so your decision is not a no-brainer, but I hope the above helps.
Any thought about going with just the sway bars? Is it worth it vs, stock. How much am I giving up in handling vs Stage 2?

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
andrewsherman said:
Any thought about going with just the sway bars? Is it worth it vs, stock. How much am I giving up in handling vs Stage 2?
The Stage 2 setup includes a front roll control system, which works with the stock front bar to virtually eliminate understeer. It definitely is worth it.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
andrew i did the sway bars only and it was well worth it !! noticed a huge difference in handling from the first minute i left the dealer.car now feel like its on rails.just point and the car shoots.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
When are you expecting to take delivery of your car. I'd love to see what Monaco Blue looks like in person.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Okay guys, I think we are going to need a meet on March 11, so that I can take a ride in Dino and Neils sleds to do a comparison.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
atomic80 said:
When are you expecting to take delivery of your car. I'd love to see what Monaco Blue looks like in person.
I don't have a specific build date yet - supposedly some time in April (it'll be the first MY08 M5 allocation Bellevue BMW gets). No doubt I'll be posting photos shortly thereafter! :biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks to all who posted suggestions.

It sounds like the things I'll likely do (after installing the Hartge spoiler/skirt, which I already purchased) are, in order of priority:

1) Dinan rear diff (Seattle BMW can install that)

2) Dinan stage 2 suspension (Seattle BMW can install that)

3) get 10mm spacers for stock wheels (turnermotorsports) to fill out the wheel wells (presumably Seattle BMW can install them while doing #1 & #2)

4) tint the windows (not sure who to do that yet - obviously I want a really nice job done - it needs to stand up to dog slobber! hiha)

5) Remove secondary (charcoal?) filters (I'll have to read up on that and consider whether it jeopardizes the factory warranty?)

Damn, this car is getting more expensive by the minute...and I don't even HAVE it yet! :eek: hiha

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
SeattleYates said:
tint the windows (not sure who to do that yet - obviously I want a really nice job done - it needs to stand up to dog slobber! hiha)

Damn, this car is getting more expensive by the minute...and I don't even HAVE it yet! :eek: hiha
Have Accutint in Bellevue do the tinting. They did a great job on mine! Put the tint film right up along the edges and is pretty durable.

Mods are ALWAYS going to be expensive but I bet you already knew that! My exhaust system for the Turbo was over $6k and that's only the beginning! :eek:oohhh:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts