BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The current Car and Driver on the stands has a cover story about "The best car, new or used, under $25k". I've been looking for someone to do an article like this for a long time. I'll guess they just didn't know they could get an E-39 for that price. They had a 200kmi E-55 (which lost to the E-39 in every test C&D ever did), and an 03' M3 in the mix. I'm wondering if I should send them a letter...or if I really don't want to let the cat out of the bag.:dunno:

·
Registered
214 Posts
My guess would be that they felt they had BMW covered with the E46. It really depends on personal preference when choosing between an E46 M3 and an E39 M5.

I have had a fair amount of time in both. To me the M3 is a better sports car. The M5 is more luxury/GT.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I can understand why they went with the M3 instead of the M5, though, especially compared to the other cars in the mix. Hell, it's one of the very few with back seats already so imagine throwing a 4-door sedan.

Yes, it beat many of the cars there in specs and times, but that's not all that matters.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My guess would be that they felt they had BMW covered with the E46. It really depends on personal preference when choosing between an E46 M3 and an E39 M5.

I have had a fair amount of time in both. To me the M3 is a better sports car. The M5 is more luxury/GT.
>>>

Yeah, they probably didn't want to be accused, as they continually are, of being on BMW's payroll, so they couldn't pick 2. However, in any test I can ever remember between the E-39 and the E-55, they *always* chose the E-39. (Not a knock on the E-55. It was/is a beast, but the E-39 was a better "sports car".)

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
>>>

Yeah, they probably didn't want to be accused, as they continually are, of being on BMW's payroll, so they couldn't pick 2. However, in any test I can ever remember between the E-39 and the E-55, they *always* chose the E-39. (Not a knock on the E-55. It was/is a beast, but the E-39 was a better "sports car".)
Are there any Mercs (or other cars altogether) that you'd suggest for 25 grand?

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are there any Mercs (or other cars altogether) that you'd suggest for 25 grand?
<<<

Well, I'm not a Merc guy. I'm sure there's plenty of good ones for that $ though. They had an E-55, and they loved it, but the thing had about 200Kmi on it, and them things ain't cheap to fix. For my $25k (assuming we're talking DD's here), I get another E-39.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Well there sure as hell is one car that I'd get for 25 grand and wasn't on the list....

DeLorean DMC-12! I saw one on the highway the other day and it was nearly as exciting as spotting another E39 M5. In fact, I can now say that I've seen more DeLoreans on the highway than E39 M5s.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Wow! I read the same article (I have been a subscriber to C&D and R&T both for over 25 years) and I agree they missed the boat with the E39 M5.
Send the letter! I look forward to reading it in the next issue. I love C&D but was gutted when the fired Brock Yates.... :mad:

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'd say they picked the E55 because it would have looked fishy to the nonbeliever that 2 BMW's could possibly be the best cars for under $25k.

In regards why they chose the M3 over the M5 is probably due to the fact that the M3 has more mass appeal to their subscriber base.

C&D surely knows that e39 M5's can easily be had for $25k. However, lets keep the secret between us here how amazing the e39 M5 is. :)

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
The e39 M5 is an interesting omission. After reading the article, though, I went and looked for some of these cars and found a bit of trouble finding some of them for $25k or less, such as the Acura NSX. I don't think I saw one on Autotrader for less than $30k.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I honestly could not think of a better car for 25K. C&D definitely missed a winner there!

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The e39 M5 is an interesting omission. After reading the article, though, I went and looked for some of these cars and found a bit of trouble finding some of them for $25k or less, such as the Acura NSX. I don't think I saw one on Autotrader for less than $30k.
>>>

Right? And the E-55 they found had 200kmi. And I think it'd be hard to find a decent 911 for that too. Read the letters section in this issue. A whole bunch of BMW haters.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I too wondered why the E39 wasn't in there.. but as Diny said the E46 makes a bit more sense in the company..

EVO did a 'best used car' test a while back, the winner was the E39 M5.. won out against a TVR, among other things..

- Tim

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Read the letters section in this issue. A whole bunch of BMW haters.
Yeah, I saw those, too. Can't say I blame them a whole lot given they were talking about a comparo where the M3 won, but was out-performed in the metrics by both the Nissan GTR and Porsche 911 turbo. I can see how it could strike someone as unfair when the subjective criteria trump all the metrics. And speaking of "unfair," I also read how Nissan is probably understating the HP of its engine at 480, when it's got to be closer to 513.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I also read how Nissan is probably understating the HP of its engine at 480, when it's got to be closer to 513.
I seem to recall reading that this may have to do with the horsepower conversion. It usually is between 15-20%, but it's less in the Nissan because of some technical reason that escapes me at the moment.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Well, looks like everyone here is on the same page. I was so excited to see that article, because I loved the concept, and thats how I think about cars. But I think someone said it best, lets keep the M5 our little secret!

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
Well there sure as hell is one car that I'd get for 25 grand and wasn't on the list....

DeLorean DMC-12! I saw one on the highway the other day and it was nearly as exciting as spotting another E39 M5. In fact, I can now say that I've seen more DeLoreans on the highway than E39 M5s.

Have you ever driven one?

If there is one car that drives like crap, than its the DeLorean.

Ofcourse its an icon, but an underpowered and underdeveloped one

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I think they chose not to use the m5 because of all the problems that we have....

hence the Giga bytes of problems and complaints on the m5 forum :eek:oohhh:

I noticed in the article it had a "to look for list of problems" Im sure the editor could not afford to use the whole magazine to list our problemscherrsagai:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts